Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  The Third Eye Reading Room  ~  Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim

sioux
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:01 pm Reply with quote
well, I was thinking a little about this while I was eating dinner. I read mitty's departure and I understand the lack of connection with Sedaris's wacky family. When you're reading his stories, sometimes they seem harsh and uncaring. But I think a certain perspective helps. I come from a messed up family, messed up in wacky dumb ways that are entirely unlike the way the Sedarises were messed up. BUT.......I live with my brother, in a smallish New York apartment. I lived in this apartment by myself for over five years, I can afford it myself, but when he got a job in New York and needed an affordable place to stay, I made room for him in my living room. I have said often that this apartment is too close for two lovers to share, but I can share it with my brother, partially cause he works nights, but also because the one person you can totally fight with and know you'll work it out is the sibling that you survived childhood with. When he pisses me off, I tell him to f.....off, and he does the same. If you grow up in a family that I can only imagine, where your whole family is always actively supporting you, I don't think you can understand how you can know that your completely screwed up siblings will have your back when its really important. And knowing that you can tell stories that have some anger and criticism in them that still reflect your love of your family. I think the key is that in some families, nothing is "precious" - not even Mom.

I am so not wanting to reintroduce a negative vibe here. I am envious of people who have strong families...I just have to live in the reality of my family, and find the love where I can. I think that kind of perspective helps with Sedaris.

Plus I think he is really frickin funny. Must I quote again the chicken sandwich story from "Repeat after Me"?
ehle64
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
sioux wrote:
If you grow up in a family that I can only imagine, where your whole family is always actively supporting you, I don't think you can understand how you can know that your completely screwed up siblings will have your back when its really important. And knowing that you can tell stories that have some anger and criticism in them that still reflect your love of your family. I think the key is that in some families, nothing is "precious" - not even Mom.

Very cool insights, and I agree with most, HOWEVER, there is no way on earth, as much as I love them all, that I could live with any of my siblings.
sioux
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I totally understand ehle - there are days when I'm ready to kill my roommate. I threatened to evict him once for being a Republican (my mom has congratulated me on my success at pulling him to the left).

I think that's why I have a soft spot for "the Rooster". Another laugh out loud moment for me in this book is when Dad toasts at the Rooster's wedding with a rubber chicken, explaining that he couldn't find a rubber rooster.
ehle64
Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:38 am Reply with quote
Hiya marj -- ya wanna pull the plug on this Forum in a Coma?
Marilyn
Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:20 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Nooooooo!!! I'm reading as fast as a I can. I do think that the later stories are not as strong as the stories of his youth. There is something kind of glib and superficial about them (especially the Anne Frank apartment) that sounds like someone writing for a magazine whose editor has instructed him to be offensive-chic. When he zeroes in on his family, though, especially his scalding/affectionate characterization of his brother, he's so good I want to cry.

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quote
well let us know when you're up to speed marilyn...everyone else seems to have checked out.
Marilyn
Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm almost done. I have I think two stories left. He does turn his family into grotesques quite a lot. I just finished reading the story dealing with Tiffany. We feel the harshness of his judgment of her through the sharpness of the story. Even his attempts to be self-deprecating don't take away the bitter taste of how grotesque he finds her life to be. I'm quite sure I wouldn't want to be in Tiffany's company (I love cleanliness), and I don't feel sorry for what happened to her in her youth. I think I understand why Charles and Mitty were so turned off by Sedaris. He is not endearing at all. He's quite ruthless, and his comedy falls flat after a while. This is a bitter book after all.

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I haven't checked out either. I just haven't had a lot of time to read.

Wade,

Since this is a book that can be read it spurts, I see no reason to end this forum. It's not as though if we stop for a while, we cannot come back without loosing our place. But I apologize for being so busy. It's been mostly work.

We are also in the midst of Blanches and hurried movie watching.
Marilyn
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Without "losing" our place, not "loosing". This is a very dismaying misspelling; I see it everywhere!

I've gotta say that with two stories to go, Sedaris is losing his edge for me. His well-honed gift for exaggeration is taking over his laserlike insights into people. I'm still liking it, but now I'm wondering if success isn't spoiling him.

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Just wait until his Brother is trying to get the kid's toy to say curse words in "Baby Einstein" and I think that "Nuit of The Living Dead" is one of the most brilliant stories in the book.
Marilyn
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to know the best is yet to come. A strong start and a strong finish. I wish the middle had been a little less superficial.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:03 pm Reply with quote
How is everyone doing in here? Do we want to finish this discussion or do we still need a few days to return to this book?

I personally think we still need some time to come down from all the awards hoopla, so please take your time deciding.

Perhaps everyone can weigh in over the weekend?
Marj
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:56 pm Reply with quote
The lack of response to my earlier question may speak volumes or could mean nothing at all. And since Melody and Sioux haven't been around this weekend, I suggest we let my question ride for another day or so.

One way or the other, I have to leave shortly. I'll check in later tonight.
ehle64
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Methinks it's time to close the doors. Thanks for trying though, Marj!
Marj
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Wade, no. Thank you! *w*