Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  The Third Eye Reading Room  ~  Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim

yambu
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:09 am Reply with quote
Marj wrote:

Yambu, we can discuss this. But I see you've already gone to the Lobby and still didn't ask for Ehle to rejoin us as moderator. I sincerely hope that was an oversight?.....
Quote:
Rejoin?? I didn't know he had quit. And if he's quit, then why were you dumping on Charles and me for proceeding without him? Poor communication alll around. Sure, I would like ehle to resume - he was doing great. But he at least owes us the courtesy of a visit, instead of you talking for him piecemeal like this. What a mess.

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:37 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
I have been enjoying this book. I was planning to spend some serious time with it through Sunday to finish it.

I think everyone is getting a little hot under the collar for reasons I can't quite understand. I've read books in groups that others loved and I didn't, but I don't remember anyone taking it personally. What exactly are the issues people have with each other?

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:17 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth, I never asked marj to say anything for me. She was just wondering, like everyone else, where I was?

Anyway, at first I was trying to give some people time to respond to the offer to send audio files of the author reading a story from the book. That was a complete bust and discouraged me from posting for a couple of days. Then when I saw that Charles and Yambu were going to discuss "Slumus Lordicus", I figured I'd let them start and jump in. Especially since some of the qualms with Sedaris in the beginning of this forum had to do with his seeming lack of taste when representing his Father. And here we are.

If anyone would like to NOT skip the stories inbetween, please feel free to jump in, as marj did with "Monie Changes Everything".
Marilyn
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Ehle - I'm glad you're hear. I have dial-up so getting an audio clip would seriously cripple my computer. I would have wanted to hear it. Even so, I enjoy "hearing" the author through his written words. Shane has taken to reading the stories aloud to me (he has a lovely voice), so I guess I'm getting a simulated experience. I highly recommend reading aloud. The words lend themselves to audio declamation.

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:30 pm Reply with quote
"here"

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
I'm pretty sure "Slumus Lordicus" was at least near to the last one I read. So allow me to interject this. The laws in Louisiana may be different from NY on account of the Napoleonic Law here, but down here a landlord is able to evict a tenant just by giving notice (5 days I think) that they want "possession of the property". The owner does forgo rent that month, but considering that tenant from hades, it'd be worth it! Now thats not taking into account any government funded programs. There are probably ramifications there.
yambu
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, ehle. I'm glad you're here. And thanks for the audio offer, but I have never been keen for spoken word.
What did you think of Slumus?

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:38 pm Reply with quote
We are back! And ready to continue our discussion, with lessons learned. And that's always good. Very Happy

Wade, I will do my best to keep up, however my job is late this month, and I'll be working all weekend. But I do promise to jump in whenever I can.

Marilyn, I liked your point about reading aloud. Because of my work I tend to do this without thinking. And I can say without a doubt, that with certain writers and certain kinds of fiction it greatly enhances the experience.

Humor writers, especially the good ones write with a certain rythm. Once one reads aloud you can clearly hear it. I even hear it whenever I see Yambu's signature line!

I am curious. What does dialup have to do with listening to sound files? I am not being coy. I really don't know!
ehle64
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:43 pm Reply with quote
It has to do with the time it takes to download the file.

yambu, i'm going to reread "Slumus Lordicus" so you and Charles please feel free to discuss and I'll jump in later.
yambu
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
mitty wrote:
..... down here a landlord is able to evict a tenant just by giving notice (5 days I think) that they want "possession of the property".....
Here in California the llord must give a 60-day written notice. When that expires, he then must file a complaint with the court. The tenant then can request a jury trial, which they often do, as a tactical delay. Then, anytime before judgment is rendered, he can file for bankruptcy, which puts the eviction proceeding on hold. Berkeley has yet another layer of protection for the tenant. Lawyers just won't take a llord's case there. And I'm not even talking about government subsidized housing.

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Since time is short and we can jump around, I will read that too.

Yambu, my guess is that you read perhaps not aloud, but with your ear, if you know what I mean? Your too much of a muscian not to!
yambu
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I've been told that, as a musician, I'm too much. I have some old, old LPs that I love - Gielgud, Barrymore, and Olivier doing Shakespeare; Dylan Thomas; Charles Laughton in a live Bwy reading.....

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Ha, Ha, Ha. Cool

When I was a child I loved listening to Margaret O'Brien. And I was terribly excited to find some of her old 78's on Ebay. Then I remembered I no longer have a turn table.

Nowadays I listen more for work than anything else. But sadly I find that when I try to listen as opposed to reading, I fall asleep.
Marilyn
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Listening to Studs Terkel interview people and read short stories on the raido for most of my 50 years, and several seasons of Theatre on the Air have made me an avid listener.

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
Yambu Well, one starts with a 5 day notice, but the whole procedure takes 30 days. Involves going back in 20 days etc. What the lease states is also a factor.

Marj I have some book tapes, but for some reason, I cannot really listen unless I pretty much concentrate, and am not doing anything but grunt work. Or walking, like exercise walking I mean. I find it facinating when an actor can put across either sex. The listener forgets which gender the reader is, and only hears the proper intonation.