Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  The Third Eye Reading Room  ~  Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim

pedersencr
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Mitty,
I once heard it asked "How do I know what I want to say until I say it and hear how it sounds." Very Happy
Sorry you have given up. You will be soooooo sorry when you hear our scintillating discussion Very Happy
But do stay tuned,
Charles
mitty
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
Laughing Sad Rolling Eyes
pedersencr
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I love that message!!!! Especially the rolling eyes at the end. Very Happy. You sure have a way with words! ROTFLOL Very Happy
mitty
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Heh, Heh, Heh...................
yambu
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Slumus Lordicus is a great slice of life. Years ago I did a lot of eviction work for government subsidized (Title 8) rentals, and this nails it. "If there was a skill to renting out property, it was the ability to spot such a person and never let him through the front door." Not having that skill can bust you over time.
The tenant Lance is always on offense, and the owners can do nothing. My feeling empathy for Dad in this situation is a compliment to the author. I know all of you are just dying to critique this précis.

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I am still here and I was wondering what happened to the discussion. I finished the book Friday or thereabouts. I agree with Charles, some of the later stories are meatier, quite moving with bits of laugh out loud lunacy.
I hope we can get more discussion going soon. And Charles I don't have any problem with critical reponses you might have to some of the earlier pieces.I for one wouldn't mind hearing them.
I was thinking that since these stories are memoirs, any negative comments per se become ad hominem and could put others on the defensive. Does that make sense? I am afraid I was guilty of that but it took me a while to figure out why I felt that way.
Having finished reading the book and being introduced for the first time to some of his siblings, all I can say is, "What a family." The author seems the least damaged of all.
Marj
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Sorry Fellas. A two person discussion is not happening!

A few of you have undermined the efforts of Ehle and this discussion from the beginning. You even succeeded in argument after argument, causing many members to leave in disgust. I can't tell you how terribly disappointed I am. And I find it shocking that after all these problems, you now want to discuss this book without Ehle and among so few!

I am planning to delete this forum. If you want to hang please do so in What's on Your Bookshelf. And since we have all agreed that subforums would only exist for at least five people there is no reason for you to discuss the book here. If you two want to discuss it, feel free to do so, on the Bookshelf.

It is certainly fine to disagree over a book, or even a discussion. But to do so at the expense of other's feelings is not acceptable. So in the future I hope you keep in mind that the book forums are not the private domain of a few. And that you will treat other members and mods with the respect you would hope for yourselves.
pedersencr
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Yambu,
Judi

I think I am heading toward bed, but let me at least put in this placeholder response. There's no law says I won't be up in the middle of the night to amplify Very Happy (Which is why I am so tired right now, from last night).

I think one of the reasons I like the story is that it may be the first of Sedaris's stories where he made me suspend disbelief and really got me into it lock, stock and barrel. And yes, yambu, I agree entirely, it really feels like he nailed it! It reads to me like a "real" story and I don't know how to put it any better than that. It feels like it has a beginning, builds to a climax, has a resolution, and then winds down to an end.

For various reasons, Judi, the earlier stories don't talk to me the same way, and I feel that a discussion goes a lot easier with general agreement on at least something before getting involved in differences of opinion. This forum, it seems to me, has had difficulty getting started, partly at least because of critical comments of my own that were perhaps made much too early, so I'd rather see the general forum begin to take fire before my grouchy opinions get tossed in again (or at all). And to that end I'm willing to forbear while others get involved and become enthusiastic about the book. That's strictly IMO and I'm not complaining at all. The more the merrier is the way I view it.

Now to get some sleep and get less grouchy Very Happy
Charles
Marj
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:49 am Reply with quote
Thank you Charles. I agree. The more the merrier, always.
yambu
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:10 am Reply with quote
....Sorry Fellas. A two person discussion is not happening!....

When did this forum become a two person discussion?

......A few of you have undermined the efforts of Ehle and this discussion from the beginning......

Those few, in your view, being charles and mitty, right? Who else? If you’re including me, then explain why.

.....You even succeeded in argument after argument, causing many members to leave in disgust......

The contributors to this forum have been you, me, ehle, charles, mitty, judith, sioux, melody, and marilyn. The first six are more or less accounted for. That leaves sioux, melody, and marilyn. In the Lobby I will be asking them to join us here, to help clear this up.

...I can't tell you how terribly disappointed I am. And I find it shocking that after all these problems, you now want to discuss this book without Ehle and among so few!

Without ehle?? Wattayounutz?? If there are so few of us, I’m not yet aware of it.

I am planning to delete this forum. If you want to hang please do so in What's on Your Bookshelf.

Please don’t take down the forum, at least until we can talk this out. Let’s hear from ehle and the absent contributors.

It is certainly fine to disagree over a book, or even a discussion. But to do so at the expense of other's feelings is not acceptable.

I thought charles and mitty got a little shrill and personal at times, but what else is new hereabouts?

So in the future I hope you keep in mind that the book forums are not the private domain of a few. And that you will treat other members and mods with the respect you would hope for yourselves.

I never meant disrespect to you or ehle.But to be gently critical, I see your job as quelling dissent rather than fomenting it. The Reading Room is what I like the best, and I am ready for 100 Yrs of Solitude anytime you say.

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:46 am Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
....I thought charles and mitty got a little shrill and personal at times, but what else is new hereabouts?

I want to make one thing verryy clear. At no time did I "get a little...personal at times". There was never any personal attack on anyone at any time by me on this forum. And frankly, I did not see Charles do that either. If anyone took any remarks regarding the AUTHOR personally, please accept that it was not directed at whoever that may be. This is a book discussion group. Which means to me praise and criticism of text and author. Period.
yambu
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:10 am Reply with quote
Charles and Mitty have pushed this discussion in provocative directions. I do not mean to diminish their contributions.

Everyone, let's cool down and think how we can preserve the right ambience for future discussions.

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:33 am Reply with quote
Thank you Mitty for your post. But to clarify for both you and Yambu, I have no problem with differing opinions. What I have a problem with, is undermining any particular mod, or dissent that is meant to undermine.

Yambu, we can discuss this. But I see you've already gone to the Lobby and still didn't ask for Ehle to rejoin us as moderator. I sincerely hope that was an oversight?

Look guys I am only a moderator. I don't have super powers. I can only do my best to quell, but this particular forum just got out of hand. And that was in spite of other member's attempts at reasoning.

I think we are beating a dead horse, but as always, I remain open. As far as I'm concerned if Ehle wants to pick up once again, that's really up to him. It also comes down to how many people are interested in continuing this book?

Talk to you in the afternoon.

G'night.
Marj
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:42 am Reply with quote
Everyone, let's cool down and think how we can preserve the right ambience for future discussions.

Yambu, this is certainly the right attitude. I just hope we've all learned a lesson from this experience? I also think we owe Wade a huge apology.

Again ... G'night.

PS. Let's do without any name calling. OK?
pedersencr
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:05 am Reply with quote
Noted, with dissent. Sorry, guys, to get you all into trouble and earn such a rebuke for all of us. Truly. You're a great bunch.
Charles