Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Film Noir

ehle64
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:48 am Reply with quote
Hey, I'd totally watch Gilda, I've never seen it.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:50 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
That's is the only good thing in the movie, trust me. It's not worth 90+ minutes of your time.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:50 am Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
So, Gary what shall be the order of viewing? Let us know the first 4 or so, so we can order them from Netflix. I already have The Maltese Falcon and This Gun For Hire, and Gilda on tap.
gromit
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:56 am Reply with quote
Whoa there, cowboy.
Gilda is a classic film, and one of the only noir's where the female role is strongly developed and central. A must!
One poster's mom used to wake him every morning for school up by singing the Mame song from the movie, or somesuch. And now you just want to spit on their mother's memory, because Marilyn didn't like Rita Hayworth's legs or whatever.

I thought you wanted the list to be stable and not have everyone nit-pick at it.

IMO, The Set-up is a lightweight movie about a heavyweight fighter. Barely an hour long if memory serves. Not a bad film and some interesting moments, but a very straightforward plot, especially for a noir. Some muscle, but not a lot of meat on them bones.

Night of the Hunter is impossible for me to find and doesn't sound like much of a noir based on its plot.

And while I'm at it, I'd definitely vote to add in Asphalt Jungle. Think Reservoir Dogs filmed by John Huston in 1950, with Sterling Hayden. A classic. A good replacement for The Set-up.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And now you just want to spit on their mother's memory, because Marilyn didn't like Rita Hayworth's legs or whatever.

That, I am sure, is a joke, but I suspect Gilda is in there just BECAUSE of Ms. Hayworth's legs. It is a terrible movie. The Night of the Hunter is not a noir. Who said it was?

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:08 pm Reply with quote
OK gang. How about 2. Kiss Me Deadly 3. This Gun For Hire 4. Murder My Sweet.

I'm going off to see my mother now, so I'm not ignoring you. I'll ask her what she thought of Gilda.
Marilyn
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Just to be clear, Gromit's point is well taken. I'm just pointing out that the film is a dog.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Well Marilyn, I'm hoping that you will be the dissenting, or rather critiquing, voice when we do discuss Gilda. I watched it a few months back and thoroughly enjoyed the first 2/3rds of the movie. Was even somewhat Wowed! by it, and I don't get wowed too easily.

I think the plot got a little unnecessarily complicated towards the end, but that's an interesting and almost characteristic feature of many noirs. The double-cross is often a triple-cross, whether it can be followed or not (except for The Set-up, which is more of a straight right cross).

Again, I think Gilda will afford a good opportunity to discuss the female role in noirs. Perhaps The Set-up will allow for a discussion about plot and plot complications in noirs.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I really like the idea that noir turns the Hollywood happy ending on its head. The hero always strives for justice. He will give up anything to achieve it because he finds some nobility inside his weasly carcass somewhere. But corruption all around him and inside him undermine his striving for redemption.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
OK gang. How about 2. Kiss Me Deadly 3. This Gun For Hire 4. Murder My Sweet.

okay.
Shane
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I had wanted to submit for your consideration, Rifififi...

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Gilda is a big budget "A" list film from 1946, which affords an opportunity for comparison with alot of the B noirs. Gilda also contains an unmistakeable homosexual sub-text, which should garner it some additional support around here, while possibly worrying our moderator.

Recently I was watching some Charlie Chan movies from the 30's and 40's. These movies feature a detective who is very proper and gentlemanly, but delves into the seedy side to put things right. They feature moments of danger, alternated with comic relief. They puposely don't get dark. Noir detectives like Sam Spade are more interesting because of the moral ambiguity of the central character. The darkness follows from the seedy world that they inhabit, and belong to, even as they strive to stay above it or afloat within it.

I'm sure I have a Maltese Falcon somewhere around here.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
Night of the Hunter is impossible for me to find and doesn't sound like much of a noir based on its plot.

Night of the Hunter has got to be one of the darkest and scariest of all the noir on the list. You don't think Robert Mitchum is a good enough actor to scare you half to death - think again! Parts of that movie STILL creep me out. I think he was better here than in Cape Fear. Definitely a classic!
Shane
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Hey Gromet I think you'll find that address by Mr. Spade himself, when you find the bird that is....

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Addressed that is by Mr. Spade.....what's the matter with these fingers, slammed them in the door twice still can't do a thing with them...