Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Genre Forum - Science Fiction

Ghulam
Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:05 pm Reply with quote
It was a good forum. I would suggest a three day extension for summing-up remarks, if anyone cares to make them.
mitty
Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
The Haunting of Hill House probably was the scariest one to me. Julie Harris played in it, and I can still remember the walls breathing!
Ever since then I dislike circular wrought iron stairs.............

First and second Alien. When she went back for the cat I almost died. But I was verra glad she did!

Boris Karloff may be my favorite villian. Remember
Thriller?

Frank Langella made the tv version of Dracula for me MMMmmmmm! I can still see him scaling the castle wall. Or whatever wall it was. It was windy and dark (natch!).

I know I have been neglecting this forum for the Lolita forum. Sorry. When I popped in 2001 was under discussion, and I've still not seen the whole thing, so felt unqualified to comment. Except it is too slow for me.

What about Forbidden Planet?
dlhavard
Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
We could go off in different directions: Star Wars vs. Star Trek; Scifi now and Scifi in the 30s. Horror is good too.

Scifi in the 50s and the McCarthy era.
mitty
Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
ooh, ooh, ooh, she cried jumping up and down..........

Star Trek vs Star Wars!!!!!!! Cool
sioux
Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:12 pm Reply with quote
1. What was your first great scary film? Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, on WOR on a rainy Saturday afternoon. Gave me nightmares for weeks.

2. What do you consider the SCARIEST film of all time? I know its cliched, but definitely Jaws. I still can't swim in the darned ocean without suffering random scares. The "real" threat is much scarier to me than Freddy Krueger.

3. What do you consider the Classiest horror film? I'm tempted to also say Psycho. I'm not sure what makes a classy horror film.
Ghulam
Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Classiest horror, for me, would be Clouzot's "The Wages of Fear".
censored-03
Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
First 1. Dementia 13- My sister and I were 11 and 8 respectively and living in Liberia at the time we were starved for cool movies from the U.S. We didn't expect axe murders accompanied by harpsichord to make us have nightmares for days though. Awesome!
Runner up, the brooms multiplying for the Wizards Apprentice in the same Disney film as Night On Bald Mountain I believe.

Scariest 2. Texas Chainsaw Massacre - When this came out it was blood curtling scary..now it probably just looks like a drive through the park with grandpa.

Classiest 3. Murders In The Rue Morgue (1971) starring Jason Robards, Herbert Lom, Christine Kaufmann and Lili Palmer...is horror classy?

Marc
Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Scariest for me:

PSYCHO - saw it the year it was released. I was 11. Didn't sleep for weeks

REPULSION - saw it in Boulder, Colorado in the mid-70s. Afterwards, walked home alone down a dark street. Something in the bushes made a rustling noise and I practically jumped out of my skin.

JU-ON (THE GRUDGE) - may not be the scariest, but it certainly is one of the creepiest.

KING KONG (the original) - saw it at the drive-in when I was around 8 years old. That night I saw KONG staring at me through my bedroom window.

other notable fright flicks:

THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
THE TINGLER
ALIEN
THE EYE (Thailand)
SUSPIRIA
Marj
Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Awww, Marc.

The first movie that comes to mind is SISTER'S. I know being a twin has got to have something to do with that!

But the best scary movie has got to be NOSFERATU.

I know if I give this more thought I can come up with more. Of course I scare so easily that I don't watch a lot of purposely scary movies. When I do, I have my eyes covered half the time.
Marc
Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Marj,

I saw SISTERS in a small rural theater in Colorado. I had to drive home afterwards up a long dirt road through the mountains. I was unnerved by the movie that I barely made it home.
Marj
Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Marc,

Thank you! I've always felt so alone in this thing about SISTERS. Not only can I not remember where I first saw it, or when, I don't want to!!
tirebiter
Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:11 am Reply with quote
So anyway, I watched Dark City the other day and liked it (again) and decided to look up the script online at Drew's Scriptorama. There were two versions, an early draft and a very early draft. I read the very early draft and it was REALLY WEIRD-- it read like a David Lynch script. It was very different from the filmed version, which has plenty of narrative cohesion, despite some unanswered questions. But: the outcome and underlying concept are completely at variance with the movie.

It's EXTREMELY CREEPY and makes for good Halloween reading if you're up to it....
lshap
Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:04 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Star Trek is an adventure set in space, overlayed with questions of philosophy, politics and the state of Mankind.

Star Wars is an adventure set in space, overlayed with talking action figures and sprinkled with pixie dust.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 am Reply with quote
The first real scary movie I can remember seeing was The Thing. We saw it at a friends birthday party. It was a sunny summer day and coming out of the theatre was like walking into another, far more pleasant world. A friend of mine, ( the Nassau guy), saw it at night at the beach. The beach is pretty well pitch black at night and he said walking back to the cottage was the scariest time he's ever had. The first time I remember actually letting out a scream of fright at a movie was in the scene in Great Expectations when our little hero is in a grave yard and his future benefactor suddenly appears. My friend and I both screamed and I think we may have even jumped up in our seats.
dlhavard
Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:11 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
I remember THE THING. I also remember running screaming upstairs just as it walked out of the shadows. So I never knew til years later that most people thought it looked like a giant carrot.

Another good scare - the FIRST Halloween. I remember the little kids saying "You can't kill the boogieman."

Star Trek is an adventure set in space, overlayed with questions of philosophy, politics and the state of Mankind.
Star Wars is an adventure set in space, overlayed with talking action figures and sprinkled with pixie dust.

I always thought Star Wars was a rather simplistic view of good and evil, with evil losing, which is not always the case. Perhaps this is why it is not doing better at the box office. Perhaps we were willing to believe good would win. Now we don't.