Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Director's Series: Fred Zinnemann

Ghulam
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Since High Noon is on TMC on June 24, can we do it after that date?
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I think that's way too far off. I'd like to start with High Noon, myself.

I like Julia, which I thought was well-acted by Fonda, good at sustaining tension, and visually beautiful to look at. Redgrave, in terms of each category, not so much.
shannon
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I'll watch anything assigned, so long as I never, ever have to watch Oklahoma! again. The Search sounds like a logical place to start, as do High Noon and From Here to Eternity. Since I've already seen High Noon (not that I would mind watching it again), I vote for either of the other two.

Again, let me reiterate: anything but Oklahoma!
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:05 am Reply with quote
You can abscent yourself from the discussion at that point. I don't think it should be a major focus, but I'd like to say a thing or two about it at some point. Not that it needs a week of discussion or anything. Actually, after we've done a couple of his other movies, it might be interesting to discuss how he used his approach (or jettisoned it) when filming his only musical.
censored-03
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:17 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
I'm in shock..I go away for a few hours and there is a Zinnemann Forum as we requested. As I mentioned last week, I watched an all night Zinnemann Fest on TCM about 2-3 weeks ago. One of the flicks was Act Of Violence- 1948 a lesser noirish film starring Van Heflin and Robert Ryan as two very different WW2 vets on a collision course. The acting highlight for me is performed by the veteran actress Mary Astor. Her all knowing greasy haired over-the-hill prostitute is awesome. It is a minor film but if you like dark little movies it's fun. Also, the plot focuses on a fact of war that is not uninteresting in this new wartime of ours. You'll have to see it to see what I mean by that.

shannon
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You can abscent yourself from the discussion at that point. I don't think it should be a major focus, but I'd like to say a thing or two about it at some point.

Dude, I was joking. Y'all can discuss it if you want. I don't care. Honestly, I guess it's a fine movie, I'm just not Mr. Musical over here (Da Fiddla, that's like THE musical for me--everything else is kinda eh in comparison). Only pet peeve with that flick is that lead actress' terrible high pitched warble and that long (is it a dream sequence? I forget) song n' dance at the middle that seems to go on forever. (Again proving that I'm not Mr. Musical, I have to fast-forward through that long montage in the middle of Singin' in the Rain, too.)
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:38 am Reply with quote
Um, the "you can abscent yourself" was meant tongue-in-cheek.
shannon
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:47 am Reply with quote
Oh. My bad. Embarassed
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:40 am Reply with quote
I thougth the pretentious tone would be a tip-off. But perhaps I use the pretentious tone too much in general for the device to be humorous...
mo_flixx
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:42 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
I rember going to see HIGH NOON as a boy and being bored to tears. I kept waiting for something to happen. Of course, thats kind of the point of the movie.

Apparently Howard Hawks felt the same way when he made "Rio Bravo" as his own twist on the "High Noon" plot.
Marc
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:11 am Reply with quote
I love RIO BRAVO.
bocce
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:18 am Reply with quote
i think it's interesting to note that zinneman's early training was in documentaries. he worked with robert flaherty (nanook/men of aran) and several of his early efforts and one notable latter were docs.

some of his early dramatic films seem to be informed both in style and approach to content by this training. "the search" and "the men" are obvious early examples and i'd be interested to discuss how (or whether) this plays into later work like "high noon" and "...pale horseman" when they come up.

on another note: it would be great to have marilyn involved in the discussion particularly since it's her choice. actually, it's almost a responsibility. those of you who know how to contact her might pass that on.
Melody
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:33 am Reply with quote
Billy,

As moderator, I think you should make the call on what we watch first. Give us a viewing assignment -- something easy to find in a crappy video store -- and we'll watch it by the 6th.

I like Kate's idea of going in somewhat chronological order. I try to do that with new authors, too. But as that may be too anal on my part and, in fact, unnecessary for our discussion, I'll just follow the leader and trust your wisdom and knowledge of the guy.

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:45 am Reply with quote
I'm going to take the plunge and assign "High Noon." The chronological deal is going to be too much trouble and, yes, a bit anal though interesting. I would like to pick up on Censored's idea of adding "Act of Violence" to the list if it's available for rental. (We have to check on that.) Okay? So watch "High Noon." Watch it again if you've already seen it. Be prepared to discuss any and everything you've heard about it, good, bad, political, musical, cinematic, etc. Don't be afraid to savage it if you want (many have). It's a great, great film IMO, but also quite controversial. So let's really get into it.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:47 am Reply with quote
Watch it no later than Sunday. We'll start discussing it Monday. Is that good, or do people who've seen it want to start the discussion earlier? I'm open to suggestions and/or mutiny.