Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  The Third Eye Reading Room  ~  What's On Your Bookshelf?

Syd
Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12682 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Really liked Nnedi Okorafor's new novella/short novel (it's 158 pages, so you can go either way: I go novella on this one, but novel for Binti: The Night Masquerade). It's set in the same universe as "The Book of Phoenix" and "Who Fears Death," and is much better than "Phoenix" but not as good as "Who Fears Death," which is a masterpiece.

This one is a couple of decades, at most, in our future and concerns a young Ghanan girl (aged 7 -14 years during the novel) who discovers a possibly alien artifact that gives her the ability to cause death, which makes her feared and cherished (since she can give a painless death to the suffering). She travels, for years, experiencing hope and tragedy, and it's very moving, and the best written story Okorafor has ever written. If it doesn't get a Hugo and/or Nebula nomination, I'm embarrassed for the voters. (Though, as I mentioned, do you nominate it as a novella or novel?)