Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  The Third Eye Reading Room  ~  What's On Your Bookshelf?

lissa
Posted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Ogawd, I asked for that one...okay, I'm getting out of that mode, I could never be dominant. *weg*

Posted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:24 pm Reply with quote
lulu - HI!!!

I owe you an email. I promise to get to it as soon as I can.

Now about The Da Vinci Code. I happen to love a fun mystery. I suppose I am in agreement with Lorne.

If you read it and not take it so seriously it's fun. I personally think that's all it was meant to be. No great shakes but a fun light read.

Lorne - I have a book for you. It's also a religious/medical mystery but IMO better written than TDC. It's call The Gemini Code by Steve Case. I think it's right up your alley.

Eventually, I'll get caught up and post alist of some of my favorite books. But let me say this. If anyone has missed reading East of Eden, your missing one of the great reads of all time. Wink
lshap
Posted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Thanks Marj! I'm actually on the hunt for a book to read while hanging out in cafes in NYC.
Marj
Posted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:49 pm Reply with quote
My pleasure. And it will be great for NYC Cafe reading. *s*
yambu
Posted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:59 pm Reply with quote
" The universe (which others call the Library) is composed of an indefinite, perhaps infinite number of hexagonal galleries....From any gallery one can see the floors above and below - one after another, endlessly..."

Thus begins Jorge Luis Borges' seven-page masterpiece, The Library of Babel. It's like those monkeys pounding on typewriters, who will eventually produce all the works of Shakespeare. The Library has every book containing every possible combination of letters and basic punctuation. So it contains this post, uncounted detailed descriptions of my death (only one of which is true), as well as yours, and that of everyone who has ever lived, or whoever will live, or who might have lived but has not, and will not. It also contains copies of everything in every possible language, whether that language has ever existed or not.

None of the books are titled, and there is no order to their placement on the shelves. The vast body of them are random nonsense, paritally or in whole, so that while the Library contains the answer to every question that could ever possibly be asked, it is useless. And if you think I've just effectively told this seven-page story, I have not.

The story that follows it, in my edition, is just as brilliant - The Garden of Forking Paths.
yambu
Posted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Ishap. My daughter-in-law's got them, and I've read them to him. And, of course, by now I can recite Goodnight Moon - again, after a 25-yr break. And I'm glad to get back to The Diggingest Dog Ever, and some other chestnuts.

I was really inquiring about today's child care books, infant language development (though nothing as heavy as Noam Chomsky), motor development, fears, tirades, etc.
yambu
Posted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:25 pm Reply with quote
yambu, [kahker is] a yiddish word that means literally 'shitter'.....

Well, now, that's interesting. "Caca" is Latin for shit. I remember from high school that Virgil, in an oration, referred to some treaty or other as "cacata carta", or toilet paper. How do you suppose Yiddish picked this up? Probably via the Visigoths, or one of those.
yambu
Posted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Make that Cicero.
lissa
Posted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:34 pm Reply with quote
yambu - there is a fascinating book I bought when my firstborn was an infant - I think it's called Sign Language - not sure, but it's about how we can teach babies signs before they have speech capacity. Fascinating. I'll look for it, and post the title later.

Posted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:49 pm Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
... Thus begins Jorge Luis Borges' seven-page masterpiece, The Library of Babel...

Yambu,

Wowza. Borges goes to the top of my must-read list. Why he's slipped off to a distant stack I'll never know. Thanks!

Posted: Fri May 28, 2004 10:28 pm Reply with quote
....it's about how we can teach babies signs before they have speech capacity....

Lissa - I hope you follow up. But I am skeptical of this notion. My grandson will probably say "goodbye" before he has the motor skills to sign the same. At 1 1/2 yrs, he can barely waive goodbye.
lissa
Posted: Fri May 28, 2004 10:48 pm Reply with quote
yambu,

The point of the book is that it is not ASL they teach/learn, but child-particular signs. Everyone can teach the ones proscribed, but if I'm not mistaken, you develop your own system. I remember buying it because there were fascinating examples of how kids were able to express specific desires at the baby-talk stage, and be understood.

Posted: Fri May 28, 2004 10:50 pm Reply with quote
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0071387765/qid=1085802497/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/104-8491061-4423938?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

That is a link to Amazon, and the book is called Baby Signs - it just came to me after posting to you. It got high reviews from Parenting Magazine, which I'd begun to read 3 minutes after I got pregnant.

Posted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:52 am Reply with quote
I'm reading Jeff Ablow's "PSYCHOPATH". Its a brilliant psychological thriller along the lines of "SILENCE OF THE LAMBS". Ablow is a real life forensic psychologist and he knows his shit. Its been awhile since a book immediately got its hooks in me. "PSYCHOPATH" will suck you in and shake you up.
yambu
Posted: Sat May 29, 2004 8:56 am Reply with quote
lissa - I just read the Baby Signs table of contents on amazon, and it looks fascinating. Thanks.