Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

Posted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:14 pm Reply with quote
AXL wrote:
If anyone would like to trade some bruce haack material let me know what interests you.
Marc
Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I screened the Bruce Haack movie at my film festival
ehle64
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:40 am Reply with quote
wanted to post?create a generic POP forum and don't have the clout.

I don't know the person whom I am posting in's forum. Sorry

May we talk about other musics? (Musics, my new favorite word)
chillywilly
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:42 am Reply with quote
same here, ehle

Maybe they are waiting for brownstone to show up before creating something.

How about we surprise him... and have it already for him with posts about GnR... Laughing

Marc
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:48 am Reply with quote
where the hell is Tim?
chillywilly
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:52 am Reply with quote
Not sure, marc. But it would be nice to have another section to post Pop Music stuff into.
Wink

Marc
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:51 pm Reply with quote
why do we need more than one music forum. You can post on any music you like to in here.
chillywilly
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:54 pm Reply with quote
That's true, we don't need more than one music forum... but a small suggestion... can we rename this one to Pop Music or Popular Music? The name really doesn't matter to me for posting, but it may help others to have a ontopic name to post to.

chillywilly
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Hey Tim,

So are you going to see VR on Wed night at Roseland?

I'll watch for your pics on you onstage with the band at this web site. Wink

http://www.belowempty.com/vr/index.php

Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Alright, alright, alright. I'm here. I'm moderating this Twisted Evil , so here are the "rules" and regulations:

1. All legitimate threats to hurt another poster in any manner (physical, financial, legal, etc.) will lead to me getting your ass banned forever. Anyone shows up at hipster's house at 3 in the morning with a search warrant for his garage is a fucking dead man.

2. Vulgarity and filthy language, if used appropriately and with some semblance of wit, is encouraged and officially endorsed.

3. No threats of violence towards the ladies. This includes mazda (or john john, or whatever.). Violence towards chicks, unless it's Jeff Daniels nailing Lauren Holly point blank with a snowball, is not funny.

4. It is required that everyone post at least once a week on the subject of heavy metal. It is also forum policy that heavy metal be mentioned in some fashion at least once an hour. I will leave it to you fellow forumites to work out a rotational shift.

5. All types of music can be discussed here, from medieval to trance. It'd be preferable if we just discussed heavy metal and 80s pop, but I know not everyone's tastes are as refined as mine, so I will be tolerant of the occasional left-field rant about Miles Davis or Buddy Holly or Yo la Tengo, but slipping in a reference to Don Dokken or Faster Pussycat will go a long way in soothing my savage breast.

That's it. Have fun. I'm excited by this forum. Anyone familiar with me knows pretty much anything will go in this forum, and newbies will figure it out quickly.

Lshap, this is lame, but I do wish to contribute money to this site; please understand I'm currently in a bit of a financial bind as a couple of my clients up and decided to bail at the 11th hour (MOTHERFUCKING COCKSUCKING SHITFACES), so I suddenly find myself with bills to pay and missing almost 5 figures of cash. As soon as I right my ship, I'll be more than happy to contribute the funds.

Chilly, the above post will explain why I will, alas, not be attending the Velvet Revolver show. I'm pissed. I was debating whether or not to wear the GnR tee; didn't know if that would be appreciated or loathed, but fuck it - I walk into Yankee Stadium at least three times a year in my Red Sox gear.

Album drops June 8; things should be kosher by then.

Lastly, VR's Slither is hardly a 2nd-rate STP song. In fact, I'd put it third on a list of STP-VR songs I've heard thus far, just behind Sex Type Thing and Interstate Love Song, just ahead of Plush and Crackerman.

I loved STP, but they just aren't up to the task of matching Slash's searing guitar work. STP had some great riffs, but Slash is a monster, a top 5 ever axeman, and I don't think the old STP could handle either the fretwork on either the chorus or the solo. Hell, half STP's songs didn't even bother with a solo, including Plush

Best STP songs ever:

1. Sex Type Thing
2. Interstate Love Song[i]
3. Plush[i]
4. Crackerman[i]
5. Superman Silvergun[i]
6. Big Empty[i]
7. [Wicked Garden[i]
8. Big Bang Baby[i]
9. Sunday Girl[i]
10. Sour Girl[i]

Let's get it on.

Obviously, I still need to figure out the fucking font controls. Y es, the village idiot is captaining the ship.[i]

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
Kate
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
Mr. Brownstone,

I have a secret love of AC/DC's Thunderstruck, does that count for anything?
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Thunderstruck is 3/4 of a great song.

It has a great opening, a phenom riff for the chorus, but after a bit kind of doesn't go anywhere, which is asking a lot from AC/DC, but they accomplished it with Back in Black, Highway to Hell, TNT and Dirty Deeds.

So, yeah, AC/DC counts as a heavy metal mention.

You now have 60 minutes. The clock is ticking, people.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
Kate
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
I agree, I love the jamming opening and can imagine how a crowd can totally get into it, but after awhile you start to think "What the fuck is this guy saying".
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Apparently, he's been tied to a railroad track, he knows there's no coming back, he went to Texas and he had some fun, he was shaking at the knees, he heard the sounds of the drums and the the guitar, and somehow all of this adds up to me being "thunderstuck," which is odd because he's doing all the work and going through all the shit.

Why am I "thunderstruck" because Brian Johnson and Angus Young went to Texas and had some fun?

Melody
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Brownstone wrote:
Why am I "thunderstruck" because Brian Johnson and Angus Young went to Texas and had some fun?

Because you're a fucking New Yorker and therefore jealous of 'em, that's why.