Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

lshap
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Melody - Sorry to hear about your brother. As you've seen, I've known people with his condition who manage to live very full, normal lives, so never lose hope!

If it's any consolation, Barry's a pretty nice guy.
chillywilly
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Melody -

Playing music on computers is pretty much over my head at this point unless I can just stick the CD in the CD compartment. My daughter has AIM, but frankly, the damn thing scares me. I don't go near it. I mean, shit, if I need to talk to somebody RIGHT NOW I pick up the phone. Call me old-fart.

You know, it wasn't till 1998 before I discovered MP3s. Once I did, I had to burn all of my CDs to MP3. Then it was an 18gb server at work that streamed them for ppl (I was network admin over the entire company).

Since then, I've always had some sort of way to play and burn MP3s. It is the equivilent of recording an LP to cassette, which I did a lot as well years ago. I get a new CD, I rip it to MP3, burn a copy from MP3s to blank CD-R, put the CD back in it's case and leave it on the shelf.

Most MP3 ripping software is good, but there's been a few apps over the years that have stuck around. Right now, I'm using CDex, which works very well for quick ripping of CDs.

The only thing I'm missing now is an iPod (or something that holds all 5,000 of my MP3s files). For now, I have a 256Mb compact flash cards that holds 30 or so of my fav MP3s on my HP Jornada pocket pc. Can't mow the grass or go for a solo bike ride without Godsmack, Iron Maiden, Marilyn Manson, Disturbed and others.

Dial up? How much are you paying per month? Do you have broadband in our area?

Melody
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Chilly,

I pay $10/month unlimited internet access. I can get wireless high-speed internet for $50/month, I just found out, but there's like a $300 up-front cost for them to come put an antenna out here. I live in the boonies outside of Austin, can't get DSL or cable. I do have Dish, but I haven't heard great things about internet through them.

All that stuff you wrote about MP3s and iPods and CD burners, I just barely know what you're talking about. I don't even have an in-dash CD player in my Jeep. Okay?? It's one of those you have to play with the cassette and the wire running to the CD player. Sad, I know.

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't even have an in-dash CD player in my Jeep. Okay?? It's one of those you have to play with the cassette and the wire running to the CD player. Sad, I know.

No that isn't sad, I have the same exact thing!! Jeep, personal CD player, wire, cassette, the works! Do you find yourself having to replace it once in a while, 'cause the wire is outta whack?

wow, I thought I was the last one in the world without an in-dash CD player! But then again, some of the Copy-Control Discs won't play in some of those in-dash players...so maybe this is the better alternative.

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Melody wrote:
Chilly,

I can get wireless high-speed internet for $50/month, I just found out, but there's like a $300 up-front cost for them to come put an antenna out here.

Ahh... i did that for a while here in Utah. Some areas don't have any broadband yet. But they make you front the cost of the antenna and installation. It's very reliable IF you are in the range of signal (it's all based on 820.11b/g). Personally, I would ask for a test signal if you are considering it. They have portable antennas they can show you the speeds and reliability of the signal before you buy (or at least they should)

Melody wrote:
It's one of those you have to play with the cassette and the wire running to the CD player. Sad, I know.

Hey, the cassette player is the best thing for the Jeep. They don't make a CD player yet that can wistand the bumps of going off road with a Jeep.

Melody
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Lissa,

Wow, sisters in arms! Knock on wood, I've never replaced the wire -- I figured if it came to that, I'd just get a new adapter kit or whatever. Back in '96, when I bought my Jeep, in-dash CD players were pretty fancy-schmancy and I opted for basic everything. The only thing tricked-out on my car is the A/C -- but I'm in Texas, so it comes with the basic package.

A friend of mine had just made a jewelry box and had some of that lush spongy velvety stuff left over, and was kind enough to give me a chunk of it, so I lined one of the car slots behind the stick with it and use that to cushion the CD player. I have three miles of bumpy caliche road to travel from my house to the main road, so I needed to protect it from wear & tear.

I don't listen to HEAVY or HAIR METAL, although sometimes I'll crank up The Who or Cream or Pink Floyd if they're on the radio.

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Mel - my Jeep is a '95, and I don't think in-dash players were affordable. Now I am actually happy with my player (a Sony, with Atrac and MP3 capability and 45-second anti-shock which rivals holding the old player up in the air off the bumpy car to avoid damaging the CD). Bought it as a gift to myself last year and it is awesome. My car (and my grocery store, where I can be found bopping down the aisles as I do my shopping, enjoying the ST to Triplettes of Belleville, or Norah Jones or The Three Tenors. BTW, the in-dash players don't all play the new copy-control discs, from what I've heard...anyone have any trouble with this type of disc?

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:52 pm Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:
Hey, the cassette player is the best thing for the Jeep. They don't make a CD player yet that can wistand the bumps of going off road with a Jeep.

Hey man, tell that to the iPod!

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I so WANT an iPod...unfortunately, I need a job first...or a lottery...or some benevolent Forum member who will buy me one....(*looking for the flirty-eyed smiley...sees none...insert flirty-eyes here*)

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:05 pm Reply with quote
The list of electronics I want/need is too long to list anywhere (except my current pocket PC), but the iPod, a new Pocket PC and a better Mac are on top of the list.

Oh.. and add a PVR to the list. I'm tired of taping over shit with my Sony VCR.

I think I'm going to have to see what the next gen iPod has on it. I heard a 60gb hdd with a color screen and the ability to view digital photos.

Marj
Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Marj,

I don't remember ever mentioning Air (I'd be willing to bet money that it was Ehle), though I like 'em just fine. I'll second Terese's Moon Safari recommendation and add to that their most recent lp, Talkie Walkie,, which I think is just as good as MS. Also check out the Virgin Suicides soundtrack if you're so inclined.

Shannon,

Interesting avatar? That was Terese who asked about AIR. As far as the Virgin Suicides S/T goes, I might indeed be so inclined.

This is like playing telephone. Only with names! Laughing
shannon
Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:38 am Reply with quote
No, it was Melody who asked. Got my M's confused.

And you don't like my avater? Evil or Very Mad
Marj
Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No, it was Melody who asked. Got my M's confused.
And you don't like my avater?

Shannon,

Now, isn't that always the case? How M's do we have here? Let's see ... Marilyn, Melody and Marj. Yup, that would be enough to confuse anyone.

NO! Love your avatar, but I think I need magnifyer glasses. I'm having trouble making it out.

I need sleep.

Nite ...
censored-03
Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:42 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
VELVET REVOLVER were on Howard Stern yesterday morning. They sounded like they were having a lot of fun, which I don't think they were having in their various groups as of this time last year. Stern was asking about the money they have earned and how they spend it. The weird thing was hearing Weiland say "when you're young you don't really know what to do or how to spend your money, people kinda spend it for you, but it gets easier to handle people and things the older you get." Right Scott !

censored-03
Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:59 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
I FORGOT TO MENTION...SOMEONE MENTIONED THAT THIS MUSIC FORUM NEEDS A NEW NAME..ONE REASON BEING NEW PEOPLE MIGHT BY-PASS THE SITE, I COULDN'T AGREE MORE...ALSO IT JUST REALLY SUX ! Rolling Eyes

SUGGESTIONS:

DATS DE NAME O' DAT TUNE

DAS MUSIK

PUT THE NEEDLE ON THE RECORD

MUSIC BLENDER

MOZART, COLTRANE, BEATLES, WYNETTE, G&R'S (To butter up our moderator) Wink