bartist
Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Nicki Bluhm and the Gramblers...

Covering Hall and Oates, in a moving vehicle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUZx-hZTDWM

In a club:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sq6G8ZydA0

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Woops. OK, here's the Hall and Oates cover....

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/awesome-hall-and-oates-cover/1jrhdba8y?videoId=ceef8612-fd29-44a7-9e02-9bcb45180a3c&from=sharepermalink&src=v5:share:sharepermalink:uuids

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
Have wondered this since the 80s: what is it, exactly, that he (in the original, it's a he) can't go for? He's already stated he'll do anything that she wants him to do, so it's confusing. What abhorrent act caused him to draw the line?
grace
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
The same thing Meat Loaf wouldn't do when he said he would do anything for love, but he won't do that?
bartist
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:28 am Reply with quote
I think it's answered in the line,

"you got the body, now you want my soul" IIRC.

But, yeah, I'm not really sure what that's about. Maybe he needs to open up and share more?

I think it's just supercute when Nicki Bluhm sings those lines. In a car. While steering the car.

How were les vacances, Grace?

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:

All I can say is, stay the hell out of Earnest! Actually, became violently ill morning of flight, stayed violently ill for several days, was admitted to hospital, and a lovely little kidney stone *still* has yet to pass. So much for re-enacting Sherman's March to the Sea. The worst is over, though, and I'm back to work.

The Hall & Oates thing is funny, because in their heyday I would have spat their name derisively and hated their tunage with a serious passion. Yet last year, I caught Fitz & the Tantrums and thought they sounded kind of like H&O, a thought I was able to have without any feelings of rancor;and I liked most of Fitz/Tantrums stuff, even if in some ways a lot of it sounded alike (the blue-eyed soul equivalent of the Grateful Dead, where there's just one song played at different tempos?).

And I like Daryl Hall's show, Live at Daryl's House (and I'll confess, I drool over his house, too). He has on old guys like Nick Lowe, Todd Rundgren, Booker T. Jones, and new guys like Mayer Hawthorne, or niche -type (to me) artists like Toots & the Maytals and Grace Potter. They talk, they sometimes cook/eat, they play, and it's often interesting. That, or I mellowed with age.
Syd
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
bartist wrote:
I think it's answered in the line,

"you got the body, now you want my soul" IIRC.

But, yeah, I'm not really sure what that's about. Maybe he needs to open up and share more?

I think it's just supercute when Nicki Bluhm sings those lines. In a car. While steering the car.

She wants him to be twice as nice. Probably has something to do with laundry, dishes and the toilet seat.

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
LOL!

Grace, sorry about your vacational ordeal. Feel better. You don't suppose Sherman was so brutal because.....

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Syd, LOL here too.
knox
Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Syd, Bart, Grace and other possible sci-fi people....seen this list?

http://io9.com/5904551/100-albums-every-science-fiction-and-fantasy-fan-should-listen-to-71+100

No Zager and Evans? Guess that was only a single, so doesn't quite make it. Still "2525" was a notably science fictiony song.

Led Zep 4 makes the list, which seems a stretch, much as I like the album. I mean, "Going to California" or "Black Dog" aren't really in the genre. My favorite album cover, though, really like Stick-carrier Guy.

BOC, of course. ELO, of course. Zappa, of course. And then something like 90 bands I've never even heard of.
yambu
Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Nyer, 5/21, has a great article on John Douglas Thompson, who has played Othello and MacBeth, and who many consider the greatest classical actor of our time:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/05/21/120521fa_fact_wilkinson
bartist
Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:37 am Reply with quote
RIP DOC WATSON

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/30/arts/music/doc-watson-folk-musician-dies-at-89.html?_r=1&hp

Amazing flat-picking.

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
Grace - You have worse luck than I, and that's saying a lot. Are you home, recuperating? I hope so.
bartist
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
My experience of vacations is that distance and fun are often inversely proportional. Not always, but sometimes the short trip yields some hidden realm of contentment. (is this just being lazy? debatable)

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
This is Jazz in June this weekend in Norman. Headline guest is David Sanborn who I realized, after listening to him of Youtube, I realized I don't like all that much. But Thursday night is Blues under the Stars, and the headliner was Carolyn Wonderland, from whom I immediately bought a couple of CDs which I am listening to with great enjoyment. She has a hell of a voice (which she doesn't always use to best effect), and very good backup musicians. She reminds me of Bonnie Raitt, who is not a bad person to remind me of. They're not that similar, just two country blues magicians in the same genre.

Carolyn was recommended to Jazz in June by Guy Forsyth, whose CD "Love Songs: For and Against" was my driving music for months. One of the best and most idiosyncratic albums I've ever heard.

You can hear Carolyn on Youtube. The clips for Guy Forsyth don't show how good he is; his studio recordings capture him better than those amateur recordings.