Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

Befade
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Betsy, I was just going to ask where you were. Nice to see you back.

That's nice to know, Gary. My 45 yr. old son got divorced and lost his job this year.......he's living with me......finally got a job.....and grandchildren are here every weekend. Life isn't the same......and my computer's in his room..........

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Betsy! Boy, am I glad to see you. Very Happy
chillywilly
Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Any fans of Foster The People? It's a short album (10 songs), but pretty catchy tunes.

C'mon... where's Shannon? He's got to have some thoughts on this new band that sounds a bit like MGMT.

billyweeds
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:56 am Reply with quote
Was privileged to be in attendance last night at the best concert of any kind I've ever attended in my life. A string quartet would have seemed one of the least likely things in the world to ring my chimes. But Ethel almost literally blew my mind with its astonishing technique, its visionary approach, and its sheer theatrical charisma. Are they classical, are they rock, are they post-modern, are they post-hip? All of these and more. Here is their website, and all I can say is: get on board!

http://www.ethelcentral.com/index.html
bartist
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
My daughter is a total string nut (plays classical violin, and also fiddle in a couple local bands), and has made me more of one myself. I will get on board, and pass this along to her, as well. She's also an Em(ma), as it happens, though I don't know if there are any Em____ grandchildren in my future or not.

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2011/sep/16/waterboys-mike-scott

A new Waterboys album. Bizarrely, it's very seventies English - it reminds me, amongst others, early Genesis.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
bartist
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Been missing the 70s and 80s lately....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVrNV_5LhNE&feature=related

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
[Post on Satyaraha moved to "Theatre."]

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Adele wound up with the number 1 single and album of the year on the Billboard charts, which was rather obvious except that Billboard uses actual sales and download figures. The song was "Rolling in the Deep". "Someone Like You" was still on the charts at the cutoff period. There was one week where the only top 10 album that had been on the charts more than four weeks was hers, which had been there for about 40.

I'm not complaining, mind you. It's rather amazing she's done so much and is only 22.

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I've been tracking the Beach Boys "SMiLE Sessions" on Spotify (which is a streaming music service similar to Pandora or Rhapsody).

There are 5 CDs worth of bonus tracks, outtakes and all sorts of gems from this finally and officially released album that almost never was from the 1967 era of this band.

Back in 2004, Brian Wilson released his version of SMiLE on his own with his own band, albeit with the help of Van Dyke Parks (who is also very much present on this official release set). It was a modern take on the album and it worked well on many levels.

But there's nothing like finally getting to hear what was intended to be this long standing follow up to Pet Sounds.

chillywilly
Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Adele wound up with the number 1 single and album of the year on the Billboard charts, which was rather obvious except that Billboard uses actual sales and download figures. The song was "Rolling in the Deep". "Someone Like You" was still on the charts at the cutoff period. There was one week where the only top 10 album that had been on the charts more than four weeks was hers, which had been there for about 40.

I'm not complaining, mind you. It's rather amazing she's done so much and is only 22.

Her sophomore album ended up on my best of 2011 list. Really do like this album a lot. And hope her recent vocal chord surgery is successful to keep her creating music much longer than this year.

knox
Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Scott Joplin, born in my hometown (Sedalia, MO), composed several of his rags while descending into dementia resulting from tertiary syphilis. He died at age 49. The beautiful "Magnetic Rag" was one of his later works, written under the influence of spirochetes. Musicians have it easy nowadays.

Smile
bartist
Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Zez Confrey, another ragtime master, was born near my birthplace, in Peru, IL. He managed to compose "Kitten on the Keys" sans spirochetes, AFAIK. I've gone past Sedalia a dozen times, never stopped there. I picture it as being "sleepy."

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:02 am Reply with quote
I've been listening to this a lot for the last couple of months:

Pink Floyd: Live 8, 2005 complete.

Leave aside Waters' butchering his own words on "Wish", this is amazing stuff; they proved not all reunions are painful. I mean, the whole band just turns it up to 11.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. I used to watch that performance daily after I obtained a digital copy of it soon after it was recorded. Amazing stuff. Little did we know, it would be the last time all 4 members would perform together.