Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

Marj
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On the weekend I went out and bought a copy of the late Israel Kamakawiwo`ole Alone In Iz World CD.

Terese,

Sorry, I've never heard of him. What kind of music does he sing?
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Hair metal, I hope?

STAY ON TOPIC, PEOPLE!!!

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
Terese
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 127 Location: Melbourne, Australia
Marj wrote:
Quote:
On the weekend I went out and bought a copy of the late Israel Kamakawiwo`ole Alone In Iz World CD.

Terese,

Sorry, I've never heard of him. What kind of music does he sing?

Hi Marj

To tell the truth I'm not terribly familiar with his music either. I actually just bought the CD for the one song Embarassed . I think he started out singing traditional Hawaiin music. Later on he branched out into more contemporary type music, but still often sang in his native tongue. He passed away in 1997 at the age of 38. When he died he weighed over 750lbs.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll
Terese
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Sorry Marj I mean to post a link to his site but it didn't work. Embarassed
Terese
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Brownstone wrote:
Hair metal, I hope?

STAY ON TOPIC, PEOPLE!!!

Was it something I said? Crying or Very sad
lshap
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Brownie - Just Because is a cool song, I'll give you that, but how does Paul Westerberg fit into your Metal folder? I really like the guy's voice but he's closer to Springsteen than Metallica.
lshap
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Terese wrote:
When he died he weighed over 750lbs.

Are you sure that wasn't his entire band?
Terese
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:08 pm Reply with quote
lshap wrote:
Terese wrote:
When he died he weighed over 750lbs.

Are you sure that wasn't his entire band?

Laughing Trust me, I've seen photos of him. He was massive.
Melody
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I finally heard a track off Loretta Lynn's Van Lear Rose record with Jack White, called "Portland, Oregon" and it's fantastic. Would never have guessed LL could sing like that! I'm definitely adding VLR to my road trip stache.

Loretta has HAIR.

Shannon,

I see you pop in now & again -- would you tell me the name of the Air CD you talked about many months ago? I think it was from the '90s and you said it was their best. I need something ethereal but not too new-agey. I put Daniel Lanois' Acadie in that category, for instance.

Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Terese,

Don't get all sad, it's just a joke. You've heard of passive-aggresive people? Well, I'm one of the world's only aggressive-passives; lots of bluster and preening, but I'm really harmless.

Stick around and you'll get a feel for my persona, as well as everyone else's.

Of course you're more than welcome and are definitely encouraged to discuss as wide a variety of music, or anything else, that suits your fancy.

I have a long-running joke with lots of the regulars in here that I only listen to heavy metal, and now that hipster has made the unfortunate mistake of putting me in charge of moderating this forum, I like to occasionally get all despotic and threaten everyone with basnihsment for not discussing Motley Crue and Pantera all the time.

My advice is just to giggle, and then ignore my stupid ass. Oh, that and listen to the "R" side of GnR Lies at least once a week.

Lshap:

I'm a huge Replacements fan; and thought his 2001 Grandpaboy was the second-best album released that year, narrowly edged out by Jimmy Eat World's eponymous album.

I don't like just metal, obviously, although I have major leanings and devotions to rock in general, which is why I can mention Westerberg and Ryan Adams as the possible saviors of rock as much as I look to Velvet Revolver or Andrew W.K. Axl's spun-out-of-orbit band.

I also like to talk about metal because it's the formative music of my life, and I find it endearing. There's a devotion I find to metal that is charming.

I get sneers all the time from chicks for throwing on the Bulletboys or LA Guns, when all they want to listen to is Jessica Simpson.

What galls me the most about this schism is that love of pop tends to be fleeting, whereas metal has bred die-hard devotion.

Thousands of people will make the trek to a truck stop in Wisconsin just to watch Ratt and Dokken play, 15 years after anyone gave a shit. Pop lovers are so fucking fickle, simply because of the disposable nature of the music.

You don't see any pop fans running out to see Ace of Bass or Taylor Dayne in 2004, no matter how much they may have loved them in 1994 and 1988, respectively. They treat their music as they do a two-liter of Mountain Dew.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
Terese
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Mr Brownstone, Don't mind me, I'm just feeling my way around here at the moment and just trying to get a feel for the different personalities, don't want to step on any toes. Hmmm, I'll take note of your Guns N' Roses recommendation (I do have a little thing for Slash, but hey that's another story). Wink
Terese
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Melody wrote:
I finally heard a track off Loretta Lynn's Van Lear Rose record with Jack White, called "Portland, Oregon" and it's fantastic. Would never have guessed LL could sing like that! I'm definitely adding VLR to my road trip stache.

Loretta has HAIR.

Shannon,

I see you pop in now & again -- [color=red]would you tell me the name of the Air CD you talked about many months ago?
I think it was from the '90s and you said it was their best. I need something ethereal but not too new-agey. I put Daniel Lanois' Acadie in that category, for instance.[/color]

It sounds like it could be Moon Safari, but don't take my word for it. Their new one Talkie Walkie is certainly worth a listnen too.
Melody
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Terese,

Moon Safari -- I think that's the one. I'll pick it up, and if I don't like it, I'll offer it to somebody on the forum. Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------

Slash kicked (mellow) ass in Kid Notorious.

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:24 am Reply with quote
Marj,

I don't remember ever mentioning Air (I'd be willing to bet money that it was Ehle), though I like 'em just fine. I'll second Terese's Moon Safari recommendation and add to that their most recent lp, Talkie Walkie,, which I think is just as good as MS. Also check out the Virgin Suicides soundtrack if you're so inclined.
[/i]
shannon
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:29 am Reply with quote
Listening to that Franz Ferdinand album today and immediately thought about Deej. Where's he been? I hope he's been invited to the party. If not, somebody with his email go and make amends quick.

New Avril Lavigne album is pretty great. Don't laugh. I'm serious as hell. "He Wasn't." Best radio-pop I've heard since that Nelly Furtado, "Try," song.