Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

ehle64
Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:15 pm Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:
Thanks for the reminder of the new Sinead album, ehle. Always have liked her albums, starting with "The Lion and the Cobra"

You're welcome. It's a rasta album. Her voice is as amazing as ever and it works really well with the reggae-tinged arrangements of the songs. Hope you likey.

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Check out this wild pic I found of Sinead

Someone here at the office had the new album and am listening to it now. So far, it's not bad. Different from her previous works, but her voice is very consistent. "He Prayed", "War" and "Throw Down Your Arms" are pretty good.

marantzo
Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I think that Sinead is a wonderful singer and has cut some incredible tracks, songwise. But she is a real wingnut.
chillywilly
Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
I think that Sinead is a wonderful singer and has cut some incredible tracks, songwise. But she is a real wingnut.

That's exactly how I feel. She and Courtney Love fall into that same realm... although Sinead is much better on vocals. Courtney Love is on a different level, both vocals and wingnut status.

ehle64
Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I heart Margaret Cho:

Quote:
10/31/05
Harajuku Girls

Gwen Stefani's Harajuku girls have been getting lots of lip service lately, and I have to say I am confused.

I like Gwen Stefani, she's alright. She is very stylish and has a nice voice and a really flat stomach. She is a rock star, and quite good at it. I am always impressed by her platinum hair and her incredibly organized steamer trunks. She keeps all her wristbands in separate zip-lock bags. I too have lots of nice things, but they are all getting moth eaten and mashed together in a pile on my closet floor. I could never understand the concept of a pair: of shoes, gloves, stockings, earrings, hearts, whatever. How can you possibly keep two separate and entirely whole things together in the crazy whirling world we live in? Anyway, Gwen manages to do it all with great panache.

Now she has 4 things all together, the Harajuku Girls. I want to like them, and I want to think they are great, but I am not sure if I can. I mean, racial stereotypes are really cute sometimes, and I don't want to bum everyone out by pointing out the minstrel show. I think it is totally acceptable to enjoy the Harajuku girls, because there are not that many other Asian people out there in the media really, so we have to take whatever we can get. Amos 'n Andy had lots of fans, didn't they? At least it is a measure of visibility, which is much better than invisibility. I am so sick of not existing, that I would settle for following any white person around with an umbrella just so I could say I was there. (emphasis mine)

It is weird being Asian American right now, because I don't exactly know what my place is. America is supposed to be for everyone, and people are supposed to treat me like I belong here, and yet you would never know that from watching tv or movies. I still get the questions about where I am really from. Then when I try to explain this feeling of invisibility to those whose every move and moment is entirely visible, they come back at me with, "Maybe Asian Americans don't want to be in entertainment!" Yes he really said that. I just screamed, because there was no other way I could answer without hitting him.

Even though to me, a Japanese schoolgirl uniform is kind of like blackface, I am just in acceptance over it, because something is better than nothing. An ugly picture is better than a blank space, and it means that one day, we will have another display at the Museum of Asian Invisibility, that groups of children will crowd around in disbelief, because once upon a time, we weren't there.

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:56 pm Reply with quote
A. Didn't Sinead run away and join a Monasterey years ago? (yes even
after she tore up the Pope's picture...

B. Gwen Stefani is a gimmick, she has as much talent as Carmen Rodman
Electra and Kelly Osbourne, ugh!

Gwen only has 1 good thing about her....GAVIN, mmmmmmm
Macca00
Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:20 pm Reply with quote
To rehash a well worn cliche, you couldn't make it up, could you?:
http://www.gigwise.com/contents.asp?contentid=10245 .
chillywilly
Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:51 am Reply with quote
soozala wrote:
B. Gwen Stefani is a gimmick, she has as much talent as Carmen Rodman
Electra and Kelly Osbourne, ugh!

Gwen only has 1 good thing about her....GAVIN, mmmmmmm

Gwen is a lot better in No Doubt. I heard her solo record and was pretty disappointed.

Regardless, Gavin is a lucky boy.

unohoo
Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I've been on a classical kick lately. I got a funky little shuffle, and for whatever reason it ain't connecting to iTunes when I plug it up. Anyway it sort of force's me to listen to the 5-6 hours worth of classical I burned from the library over and over. I must say I picked some decent shit. I went only by composers names I recognized, and the only dude who's stuff I just don't like at all is Bartok. The other cats were Tchaikovsky (yeah I went The Nutcracker route), Wagner and some more Ravel. It works for the moment, plus when I tell folks what's on there and they take a look at my cd's they can't really put it together.

I must say I'm kind of glad Southern hip-hop is getting it's due lately for a couple of reasons: 1) It scares off all of the spectators from the sidelines who needed some pseudo-intellectual bullshit attached in order to feel okay about listening to hip-hop. 2) The pretensions of underground hip-hop's little bubble gets poked. 3)It signifies to a certain extent the return of the party element in hip-hop. Not to mention I actually like the bulk of it. Something about booming ass beats, no matter how weak the rapper is, some serious knock in the trunk is always the goodness. The only east coast shit I've been bumping lately is Dipset, and for whatever reason the west coast just seems dead.

Margaret Cho aside (who I could give a fuck about although I feel her pain), I dig Gwen Stefani's cd. Don't really know what her fascination is with the Harajuku (sp?) girls but it makes for some funky music. The few moments she isn't courting black radio, she is putting on a good regurgitation of 80's pop. A good cd to me.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:30 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I find Ms Stefani's recent stuff so ephemeral an unsatisfying as...

...I was going to quote the truism about the Chinese meal, but at least with Chinese food you come back for more. As for the three little maids that she keeps in tow, they just another layer of masking any substance that might be there...or are they trying to make up for a lack of substance.

As Jonathon Ross naughtily asked Gwen on his BBC chat show, "Do they give hand-jobs."

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
jeremy
Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:30 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Faux-exotica.

Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:08 am Reply with quote
I'm a big fan if Sinead; she has a beautiful voice filled with power and grace, and her SNL Pope-ripping looks a lot less silly in light of the abuse revelations and subsequent cover-ups emanating from the Catholic Church over the past couple years.

She also is near the tops of my list (I think I have a list for everything) of female vocalists, which also includes Annie Wilson from Heart, Sarah Maclachlan, Cyndi Lauper, Bonnie Raitt, Annie Lennox, Christina Aguilera, Pat Benatar, and I actually like Kelly Clarkson's voice (that Since You Been Gone song is infectious).

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
jeremy
Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"...in light of the abuse revelations and subsequent cover-ups emanating from the Catholic Church..."

As you were talking about female vocalists, I misread Catholic as Charlotte (as in Charlotte Church, the little Welsh soprano turned lusty popster). Momentarily bemused (an event becoming ever more common) I thought, "That can't be right."

marantzo
Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...her SNL Pope-ripping looks a lot less silly in light of the abuse revelations and subsequent cover-ups emanating from the Catholic Church over the past couple years.

I never found it silly then.
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:22 am Reply with quote
Neither did I.

Sinatra threatening to "kick her ass" was pretty silly, though.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge