Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 12:22 am Reply with quote
Yeah, but then I'd just be envious or jealous, but I've been "thundestruck."

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
Marj
Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 12:56 am Reply with quote
ehle, Chilly,

I so agree with you about discussing other music. Am I intimidated to discuss any other kind of music other than 80's pop, garage bands and heavy medal? You can bet the store on it!!

Jazz, The American Songbook, some Classical and Eclectic would suit me fine!

Any takers?
marantzo
Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:28 am Reply with quote
Marj don't be intimidated, write about any kind of music you want. I have no idea who most of these bands are. Talk Jazz, Classical, Folk, whatever. I might even join in.

These Gen Xers can be tiresome. Wink
chillywilly
Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:37 am Reply with quote
brownstone,

Sorry to hear you won't be going to the VR show. I've missed so many shows due to money that should have paid to me but didn't. These fucking clients I deal with on the side are a pain in the ass at times... although one is really good about paying me, but they were my first and are still at the lower rate.

Anyway, enough about that. June 8th is fast approaching.

Good list of STP songs. Sour Girl was one of those songs from No .4 that was listend to a lot when I got dumped 4+ years ago. Matched her just right.

And cool beans on being the moderator here. I look forward to abiding by every fucking rule you've set up, goddammit!

chillywilly
Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:41 am Reply with quote
Marj,

Don't be intimidated. How about you learn from ehel, bronstone and me about metal and 80's bands and we'll learn from you about classical and jazz.

I know some jazz, but not a lot. Earl Klugh was the one I listed to a lot in my early 20's. This store I wored at played a lot of him and Al Green and George Winston. The last guy, not so much jazz, but it stuck after being played everyday.

You'll see a lot of GnR and VR from Tim and I. Especially when the album drops for VR on June 8th. BTW, GnR is Guns n Roses and VR is Velvet Revolver.

Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 5:40 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:

These Gen Xers can be tiresome. Wink

Ha Ha.

Right back atcha. It's adorable to have to tolerate the obselete mutterings of the aged.

Ha Ha.

You're banned, marantzo.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 5:45 pm Reply with quote
By the way, you need to complete a 1,000 post on the comparitive merits of White Lion, Whitesnake, Faster Pussycat and Britney Fox by 7 pm Sunday.

Failure to complete this assignment will result in banishment.

And I will be marking off for spelling and typos.

Melody
Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry, Marantzo. Mr. B wouldn't know a typo if it jumped up and bit him in the nos.

Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Ha Ha. You're lucky Scarface is on.

juepucta
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:51 am Reply with quote
Joined: 22 May 2004 Posts: 52 Location: Los Angeles, California
Rock legends Velvet smooth
LIISA LADOUCEUR
Special to The Sun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VELVET REVOLVER
Kool Haus, Toronto
Friday, May 21, 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TORONTO -- About 12 years ago, a gang of new bands from America gave a big Doc Marten boot to the spandex covered behind of what was then passing for rock music: Cheesy L.A. metal about chicks and, well, things that rhyme with chicks.

One of those revolutionary alternative groups was Stone Temple Pilots.

So it was quite something to see former STP singer Scott Weiland fronting what was essentially Guns n' Roses at the Kool Haus last night.

It was even more amazing to watch the newly formed Velvet Revolver tear down the preconceptions about their abilities to blend with an electrifying set.

The band faced a difficult task: To satisfy a sold-out crowd of die-hard GNR and STP fans with new, unreleased material.

And yet, from the first note of Sucker Train Blues, from the forthcoming VRdisc Contraband, it was clear the fans didn't care if they could sing along.

They were thrilled just to be in the same room with Guns guitar god Slash.

Velvet Revolver's members did not rest on their laurels as legendary musicians.

Fierce and fearless, they tore through the good stuff off Contraband with vigour and enthusiasm.

While Weiland slithered around the stage in a Ramones T-shirt, Slash showed off his signature solo skills, a perfect pair of rock star frontmen.

If the rousing renditions of VR songs Do It For the Kids and Illegal, I weren't thrills enough, they dropped plenty of old favourites into the set.

STP's Crackerman got the mosh pit going, while GNR's It's So Easy inspired much whooping, followed by chants of "Axl Sucks!"

Singing Axl Rose's parts again on I Used to Love Her and Mr. Brownstone, Weiland was backed up nicely by bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Matt Sorum, but never quite made the tunes his own.

(Perhaps not a big enough goof to replicate Rose?)

The standout tracks were VR's own -- Big Machine and Slither -- where they teased with atmospheric intros and extended musical movements before unleashing supersized sonic choruses.

But by ending with a raucous punk cover of Nirvana's Negative Creep, Velvet Revolver proved that marketing terms like "hair metal" and "alternative"don't apply to music when it simply rocks.
ehle64
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:29 am Reply with quote
little eiffel stands in the archwayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. . .
Marj
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Guys,

I was really kidding about being intimidated. The way I see it, getting others like Joe, Poker, Lorne, billy, et al, as well as you two to discuss other forms of music, is the only way to get some good alternative discussions off the ground.

Until I'm actually and finally finished with this never ending job, I can't even stay here long enough to get into any real discussion.

I am going to try though, someday ...

Marj
Marj
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Chilly,

In the NYTimes Jazz forums there are a couple of guys who are very tight, as well as very strict as to what constitutes jazz and what does not. They are in essence what I call jazz snobs and are often just the kind of people that frighten people away from jazz.

Can't we be a lot looser here? Earl Klugh is IMO definately a jazz musician. I doubt anyone would argue that.

I think what happens all too often, is that musicans and vocalists do some good jazz and then perhaps record a standards album and abracadrabra they are no longer jazz musicians. This can be said about Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong, and yes, even Ella Fitzgerald. Charlie Parker did an album with strings!! Heaven forfend!

As far as I'm concerned some of the best standards musicians are jazz musicans. But that's just me.

IE: Peter Cincotti, Jane Monheit and Rebecca Kilgore sing in Supper Clubs rather than jazz venues. They're all jazz vocalists but can make more money in Supper Clubs. Michael Buble's first album was derivative and more swing then jazz. Now he's jazzing up his earlier arrangements.

Do we really have to categorize these artists. I think not!

I hope not ...
Terese
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 127 Location: Melbourne, Australia
On the weekend I went out and bought a copy of the late Israel Kamakawiwo`ole Alone In Iz World CD. I admit this is more of a guilty pleasure for me as I honestly only bought the CD so I could listen to his beautiful version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Cost me 35 buck for the privilege I might add. I haven’t had a chance to listen to the rest of the CD yet so I don't know what to expect. Boy did that big man have a beautiful voice though.
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Juepucta, I've never heard of you before, but thank you for joining our little community, and posting clip reviews of Velvet Revolver are sure to win you a place in my heart.

Take notes, people. Discussions of jazz is fine, but discussing real rock n' roll is the only way to win milk and cookies around here.

I'm so stoked by this album/project, obviously, as Velvet Revolver straddles what I consider the two most defining genres of my musical upbringing: late 80s metal and early-mid 90s grunge.

I've been disappointed of late in the bands that I've expected or hoped would do something big and change the pop culture landscape. I don't really mind the White Stripes or the Strokes, although I don't think either band is really all that hot. I've liked exactly ONE song from either band; I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself, and 12:51, respectively.

So I've been waiting for some acts to really kick these little kings off the mountain, but have been disappointed in the pretenders to the crown thus far.

I've been amped by relatively new acts like Jimmy Eat World, Andrew W.K., the Darkness and Ryan Adams, but with the possible exception of the Darkness, none of these acts have reached the apex of Strokes/Stripes, and a lot of people still are trying to decide if the Darkness is a joke or not.

I've also experienced the revival of quite a few of my favorite rock acts, but again, none have reached the critical mass I was hoping for.

Jane's Addiction released the best rock song of all last year (Just Because), yet seemed to receive no support whatsoever, which is odd for a band with a guitar player who married Carmen Electra on MTV.

Paul Westerberg continued his streak of brilliant albums no one cares about (how the fuck is it that the dogshit Matchbox 20 releases is inescapable yet Westerberg can't get beautiful gems like AAA or Silent Film Star on the airwaves?).

The Cult made a mildly successful return that resulted in Ian Astbury joining the Doors (...um...what?).

Axl returned, and momentarily it was a triumph, before deciding to implode once again and continue his reign as rock n roll's Marlon Brando.

So it's all up to Velvet Revolver. May the Gods look kindly upon them. Becasue if they fail, the future looks like a lot of Maroon 5, Coldplay, and the Vines, and I look upon that scenario like Charlton Heston finding the Statue of Liberty at the end of Planet of the Apes.