Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

knox
Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:33 am Reply with quote
Sounds fun, quite a cast. France McD is the voice of God. Jon Hamm as Gabriel. If it's on Amazon, might have to wait a while before they release it from their greedy little paws. I've got Netflix and PBS Passport, and that's all the streaming I'm doing for now. Wait...just checked, it's out on Blew Ray on Nov. 5th. Well, if it involves the AntiChrist and/or Armageddon, then that will be either far more or far less relevant on Nov. 5, 2020.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:31 am Reply with quote
Don't forget Benedict Cumberbatch as Satan, irritated with his disobedient teenager. Now I'm wanting to watch it again (my friend who copies movies off the Internet sent me a disk).

By the way, the book is also terrific. Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett at their best.
Syd
Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I've got a temporary free subscription to Amazon Prime, so I got to watch "Good Omens," which I loved, and season 4 of "The Expanse," which was the best of the four seasons. Currently watching "Carnival Row," which had entirely too many plot lines in the pilot but is improving. The name actor is Orlando Bloom who winds up with a knife at his throat from an ex-girlfriend because, frankly, he deserves it. Ultimately, we have two human societies warring over the remnants of the Fae, and neither of them is doing all that well. Since one of them is actively genocidal, I tend to sympathize with the side that doesn't advocate mass murder, if there is such a side. My main problem is that the Orlando Bloom character, a hotshot detective, is an obvious imbecile.

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:36 am Reply with quote
If you got Amazon prime and didn't watch Borat 2 right away to determine for yourself if Rudy Giuliani was just "tucking my shirt in, " then you are a high-minded gentleman.

Have heard praise for The Expanse, so you're tipping me in the direction. Plus I could happily erase Thomas Jane as I recall him in "1922" and see him on a better side of the law. Brr.
Syd
Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Finally got to see the second season premiere of "Resident Alien," which was often hilarious. Asta can apparently now understand octopoid speech, which must be one of the benefits of communing with aliens.

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I looked at the wiki on RA and it sounds hilarious. The RA apparently learns his medical examiner skills from watching Law and Order. The voice of the octopus is Nathan Fillion. Perfect.

Have this vague recollection of Alan Tudyk playing an alien in human form in some other production, a standalone movie I think, but can't quite pull it up from the memory bank.
He is a terrific comic actor. Looks like I have a free subscription to Peacock (with ads), which streams RA, so I will check this out. Thanks.

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:27 pm Reply with quote
He's played a robot a couple of times (In Rogue One and I Robot and has done a lot of voice overs including in "Frozen", "Raya and the Last Dragon", "Encanto" and "Big Hero 6."

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:42 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:

Have this vague recollection of Alan Tudyk playing an alien in human form in some other production, a standalone movie I think, but can't quite pull it up from the memory bank...

He was one of the Visitors in the series "V" -- the one where Elizabeth Mitchell leads the fifth column, and Morena Baccarin is the diabolical queen bee of the aliens. So I was partly wrong, it wasn't in a movie.

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Resident Alien is a comedy well constructed on the Fish out of Water trope. Alan Tudyk is wondrous weird and hilarious, abetted by a fine supporting cast. Though it is derived from the thoroughly mined subgenre of aliens trying to fit in and coming to have more sympathy and liking for humanity, it seems to have some fairly original setups (at least, to this viewer).

I got three episodes from NBC.com before they started wanting money and much personal info, so I ordered the DVD for $12 at a discount site called gruv.com.

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:19 am Reply with quote
RIP Uhura.
Syd
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:35 pm Reply with quote
knox wrote:
RIP Uhura.
Damn it.

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:44 pm Reply with quote
The Orville is having a brilliant third season which you can view on Hulu. They have some episodes that I don't think could be done on Fox, so I'm glad they moved. They seem to be more into developing plots from the first two seasons. It may help if you are a new viewer to rewatch them, but I had not problem whatever. If you watch episode 1 of the third season and expect where it will be in episode 9, I congratulate you.

If you've ever doubted Seth MacFarlane's acting ability, watch episode 8, entitled "Midnight Blue." His acting when he encounters the female Moclan leader is damn good.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:42 am Reply with quote
The original series main cast is down to Kirk, Sulu, and Chekov. Spock might have outlived everyone, being Vulcan, if he hadn't been a chain smoker.

I admired Nichols's work for NASA. (I saw your post over in The Lobby, Syd) She helped recruit some pretty distinguished astronauts. She knew how to open hailing frequencies.

The story about MLK talking her out of leaving Star Trek after the first season is a classic. She wanted to do musical theater (I remember that episode where she sings along with Spock playing his Vulcan harp or whatever it was called).

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Watching "Start Trek: Picard" first season and noting Jonathan Frakes would make a good Santa Claus. Good series, by the way.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I haven't paid to subscribe to Paramount (formerly CBS All Access), but am interested since I heard they bring back John De Lancie as Q in later episodes. That's a draw, and also that it deals with issues of aging ca. 2400, which I'm guessing will involve fancy tech at some point. And they also bring back Seven of Nine, from the Voyager series, another plus. Jeri Ryan was a very earnest Borg nine. Sorry.

I wasn't initially impressed with Jonathan Frakes in Next Gen, but I think he's like William Shatner in the sense that he's an actor who improves with age. So maybe I can set aside my past bias Frake-wise.