Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

pedersencr
Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 6:51 am Reply with quote
Lotang,
The answer to your question is yes. I saw the Joan of Arcadia finale but will pass on describing it, for the moment. I'm sure there are others in this forum who can do a much better job at that than I can. But if none show up, I'll have a go at it. But I have a question. You are sure you want to do this? I was so moved by it that I am reluctant to take the edge off it for anyone who hasn't yet seen it, but might. In my mind it was better than all the other episodes put together.
Charles
Marilyn
Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:30 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Charles, I don't think a description of the ending of Joan of Arcadia could really ruin the impact. The acting and writing were so superb that I'm sure I would start weeping again if I did see a repeat.

Joan's family learns that she has Lyme disease, which can cause hallucinations. Joan is not convinced that her encounters with God were simply a disease and begs Adam to believe her. He doesn't. She is left bereft and in crisis. I simply can't wait to see what happens next season. I'm starting to think that this may be the best show going right now, and Amber Tamblyn is an amazing actress.

As to Tru Calling, I'm not really liking where it's going. I think they could have made much more of the family dynamics. Bringing in an anti-Tru seems like a gimmick. This is starting to get a bit like Charmed.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:46 am Reply with quote
Marilyn,

I still haven't seen an episode. You make it sound very good, indeed. By the way, though I haven't mentioned it, yours is my favorite avatar on the site.
Marilyn
Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:48 am Reply with quote
Thanks, but there are way better avatars now. Lady Wakasa's is awesome. Do you know who it is in mine?
lshap
Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:04 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Marilyn, Not sure about your avatar...looks like a very young Shirley McLaine.
Marilyn
Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:06 am Reply with quote
She's silent film star Colleen Moore.
Haiku
Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:38 am Reply with quote
lotang wrote:
WWBD?[/color]

[color=green]What Would Buffy Do? Like the What Would Jesus Do? bracelets I've seen some people wear.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:41 am Reply with quote
Marilyn,

I did not recognize her. Don't agree about better avatars. I think Marj's might be the most beautiful, and Lady W's unquestionably tops the coolness factor. But yours makes me smile every time I see it, and it fits your personality really well, I think. It makes me happy everytime I see it.
lotang
Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the description of the episode of Joan of Arcadia and I agree with you that it is one of the better things on tv right now. I was a little afraid at the very beginning because it dealt with God but the writing and acting have really won me over. And Amber Tamblyn is the perfect teenager.

Haiku-Yes I would buy and wear a WWBD? bracelet. As long as I could also carry a very pointed stick with me at the same time. Just kidding.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:13 am Reply with quote
lotang wrote:
As long as I could also carry a very pointed stick with me at the same time. Just kidding.

That's a stupendous idea. I would love a Mr. Pointy of my own! Twisted Evil
sioux
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:29 am Reply with quote
I got a book for my birthday called "What Would Buffy Do?". I haven't had the chance to look at it much yet though.

I also got Season Six, albeit belatedly. WOO HOO! I know I am in an extreme minority, but Season Six was my favorite, and I hunkered right down yesterday and watched the Behind the Scenes video about OMWF, and then the director's commentary, and then I watched the whole episode again. Yeah, I'm crazy. I really enjoyed Whedon's commentary - I don't always love those sorts of things, but he stayed focused and had interesting things to say that I haven't heard in a million interviews.
Marilyn
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:55 am Reply with quote
Sioux - I liked S6 a lot! I never thought it was too dark. Yes, some of the humor of the show was lost, but a lot of depth of character was gained. Although the Double Meat plots were minor disasters, they did make sense in the grand scheme of things (i.e., Buffy's need for fast money). No season has ever been without considerable worth. So happy birthday and enjoy your excellent gifts!
Haiku
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:00 am Reply with quote
I went to see "Mean Girls" yesterday and I'll comment on that in the appropriate space, but all I could think of throughout the film (other than how hot was Lindsay Lohan's character's love interest) was how I missed Buffy and the Scoobies and how they might have dealt with the situation (I'm thinking hyenas...). The prom scene where Ms. Lohan's character gives a speech was so reminiscent of Buffy's prom scene that I expected someone to hand Ms. Lohan a very special brolly.

In any event, the Buffy high school years rang much more true to me than the 90-odd minutes I spent watching this flick.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:27 pm Reply with quote
While I was hardly crazy about season six, it had, in addition to OMWF the heartbreaking wedding episode. There is something about Anya's moments of vulerability that really gets to me.
Marilyn
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:33 pm Reply with quote
My favorite line was when Spike sees Buffy at the wedding. He says, "You look wonderful. You have a certain glow." She answers, "That's because the dress is radioactive." Remember those hideous green bags?!