Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

bartist
Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to have to look up the various "species" and review, as I'm not sure I recall what a fuchsbau looks like. Would help if I could remember my one year of high school German better. Hybrids sound interesting...I guess there's something snakelike coming up pretty soon, from the teaser for next week.

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
GROMIT - MOVING T ZONE CHAT HERE

Finally saw Nightmare at 20,000 Ft. on the retro channel last night, and realized I had only seen a clip from it before (and the John Lithgow version in the 1980s film version). We see an early manifestation of the patented Shatner Fists-at-Head gesture, which provokes a laugh one can only have in the post-Trek future. The episode is much lighter in tone than I expected, seems to be delivered with a Serling wink and a nudge and Shatner's hamming seems perfectly suitable. (the show aired last night, which happens to be the Shat's birthday, I don't know if that was intentional..)

I will note, as a former 3rd Rocker, that Lithgow spoofs his own performance in an episode of 3RftS. And Bart Simpson does a spoof, Terror at 5 1/2 Ft., in which the gremlin is, in fact, an AMC Gremlin cruising alongside the schoolbus.

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:34 am Reply with quote

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
bartist wrote:
I'm going to have to look up the various "species" and review, as I'm not sure I recall what a fuchsbau looks like. Would help if I could remember my one year of high school German better. Hybrids sound interesting...I guess there's something snakelike coming up pretty soon, from the teaser for next week.

Most of the names are made-up pseudogerman anyway. Fuchbau = fox burrow, Blutbad = bloodbath, etc.

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
Well the "fox" part seems applicable, in her case.

The smoky doppelganger of Nick, at the end of last night's show, was a good hook. The MOTW was pretty disgusting, and had me watching through spaces between my fingers at a couple points. Removing eyes with spoons is not easy to do, or to observe.

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Well the "fox" part seems applicable, in her case.

The smoky doppelganger of Nick, at the end of last night's show, was a good hook. The MOTW was pretty disgusting, and had me watching through spaces between my fingers at a couple points. Removing eyes with spoons is not easy to do, or to observe.

On the bright side, Nick can now hear a mosquito at a distance of a hundred feet. It's going to raise hell if he's trying to sleep.

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:20 am Reply with quote
Yeah, super noise sensitivity not so good for an urban cop. Nick's already a Grimm, he doesn't need another superpower. The show is essentially a fairy tale, and the genre calls for some restraint. The "fly" was gross, but kind of funny - Monroe always seems to get the droll reaction shots.
Syd
Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:45 am Reply with quote
Now I'm wondering why Tamsin on Lost Girl didn't just tell Bo about the awkward situation she found herself in. Bo's going to have to face The Wanderer eventually, but I don't see why Tamsin couldn't give her some warning.

Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Watching the last two episodes of Grimm, I've learned that the Blue Man Group is responsible for cattle mutilations and the Blue Woman Group is responsibility for artist mutilations. Also that some, presumably the screenwriters have read Sacre Bleu.

The second really irritated me, but I'm glad they finally resolved the continuing plotline about Juliette.

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Hope they re-air. I missed the memo on the move to Tuesday night.

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Hope they re-air. I missed the memo on the move to Tuesday night.

You can watch them online on hulu or nbc.com. I don't think you need any subscription for the latter.

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I have a number of favorites of series I hadn't seen until the last year or so. I watch the new episodes of course, but also watch episodes that ran before I started to watch them. The Listener, a Canadian product that is good watching and White Collar (I'm sure everyone know this one) which is usually very good watching. I am also catching up on Monk episodes that I missed.

These and other programmes fill in for me every week when no current shows interest me.

I don't watch Blue Bloods, (I watched it once and it stunk, I tried it again down the road and it still stunk) and I never watch PoI because I can't stand Jim Caviezel. I've watched the Canadian show, Rookie Blue a few times and it puts Blue Bloods to shame. It often conflicts with favourites of mine so I haven't seen many episodes. I'll see them in repeat though.
bartist
Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:52 am Reply with quote
"And When the Sky was Opened" might be my favorite TZ episode - based on a story by Richard Matheson, scripted by Serling himself, it's a wonderful prototype of the Paranoid Horror/Bent Reality theme later explored by writers like Philip K. Dick and all the films that spawned in later decades. Rod Taylor plays an astronaut, returned from a space flight on an experimental craft, who finds that the rest of his crew is disappearing from the world, as if they had never existed. Pretty soon, he is facing his own engulfing abyss. An existential nightmare that demonstrates to me, again, that Richard Matheson was a key player in making the TZ the oustanding series that it was.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:50 am Reply with quote
Funny how things pop up...not many actresses get a Times obit for just one minor role.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/19/arts/television/christine-white-known-for-twilight-zone-role-dies-at-86.html?ref=obituaries&_r=0
bartist
Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:40 am Reply with quote
She's with the sky gremlins now.

Shatner is better in the episode where he and his wife encounter a fortune telling machine in a diner.