Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

Earl
Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Enver Gjokaj ("Victor" from Dollhouse) alert:

Saw the movie Stone today and was pleasantly surprised to see that Gjokaj is the first person onscreen in the very first scene. He plays the young version of Robert De Niro's character. We've talked a lot about how chameleon-like he is as an actor, so it seems fitting that he and De Niro would take the same role.

But after that first sceen he isn't seen again, so don't bother seeing it just for that.

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:09 am Reply with quote
An all-day Christmas Day Buffy the Vampire Slayer marathon on the Chiller channel. Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Right now they are in the early high school years. Some of those episodes I haven't seen since they first aired. Some of them I haven't seen at all. Right now they're on "Band Candy."

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Earl wrote:
Whedonverse actor alert:

Enver Gjokaj, the chameleon-like actor who played Victor on Dollhouse, was a guest star on tonight's episode of the FOX series Lie to Me. If you missed it and want to look for it on the Hulu thing, the name of the episode is "React to Contact."

I didn't know he was going to be on the show before it started or I would've posted sooner. I watch the show regularly and recognized him instantly in the first scene. He plays an Iraq War veteran with mental problems. Imagine Victor was never recruited by the Dollhouse and never had Joss Whedon writing for him, and it's something close to that.

And he's actually the best performer in that episode. As I watched him interact with the regulars on the show, I conjured the metaphor of a gourmet chef working in the kitchen of a diner for a day. He wouldn't have gourmet food or equipment to work with, but he'd still turn out some great stuff with what he had. And it would be better than what the regular employees produce.

Hi, all.

Remember when I mentioned this back in June? Well, FOX is rerunning that episode tonight if you're interested in checking it out. 8PM here in the Central time zone. 9PM for those of you where all the snow is.

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Remember when I mentioned this back in June? Well, FOX is rerunning that episode tonight if you're interested in checking it out. 8PM here in the Central time zone. 9PM for those of you where all the snow is.

The Central Time Zone is certainly the best time zone to watch TV. All the prime time shows are an hour earlier. My son who lives in the Eastern time zone now misses Central time TV schedules very much. Having shows like Letterman starting at 11:35 instead of 10:35 must lose a lot of viewers.
bartist
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote
At the local PL, found a six-part series that appears to be a 2009 remake of The Prisoner, with Jim Caviezel and Ian McKellan. Might have been mentioned here, and not in a terribly favorable light. But, what the heck, I'm curious how they riff off the original 60s series. Will report back.

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I see that the SyFy channel will soon be airing an American version of Being Human. They'd better get it right.

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see the original. (Personal standards prevent me from writing the new name of what used to rightly be the Sci-Fi Channel.)

-Topher
carrobin
Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
A freelancer who was also Alfred Bester's mistress for years once told me that writers hated the term "sci fi" for science fiction--SF, okay, but not sci fi. I doubt that he'd like SyFy much.
bartist
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I've heard that about preferring "SF" too, but when I started using "SF" in some book threads, it seemed to confuse some people...."The book is about San Francisco??"....so I went back to sci-fi. Some authors prefer the term "speculative fiction" which is a bit broader (i.e. more than just "hard" science fiction). Harlan Ellison called himself a "fabulist."

The 2009 miniseries of The Prisoner is just a different thing from the original series. I sort of liked it, as a rather postmodern look at a consensual reality -- I know many critics didn't have much patience with it, or wanted something more in the mode of McGoohan's creation. But Caviezel is pretty good in this, and plays well off Ian McKellan (Number Two).

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Sci-fi works for me, but syfy is just irritating. And unless the lady in question is a whip-weilding dominatrice, I also prefer lover to mistress.

Doctor Who remains my favourite 'sci-fi' series, few others can match it for pure fun.

Last edited by jeremy on Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
marantzo
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
Sci-fi works for me, but syfy is just irritating. And unless the lady in question is a whip-weilding dominatrice, I also prefer lover to mistress.

Doctor Who remains my favourite 'sci-fi' sereis, few others can match it for pure fun.

Yeah, Doctor Who is great fun and also very good in its special effects. The story lines are deliciously bizarre and dire.
carrobin
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I finally caught up with the Christmas eisode of "Doctor Who" last night. (I was at my mother's place on Christmas, and she doesn't get BBC America.) Of all the "Christmas Carol" variations I've seen, it was the wildest (as one would expect), and very enjoyable (as usual), though I still prefer "Scrooged."
Earl
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote
The final episode of "Medium" airs tonight. I've been watching it for only two years so it still feels fresh to me, its cancellation premature. But perhaps if I had been watching since the beginning seven years ago, I might think it had run out of ideas. Still, I'll miss it.

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I like "Medium" but stopped watching when they changed its timeslot. Maybe I'll look in on it tonight.
bartist
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I've watched, irregularly, and seen few enough that the ones seen this year seemed fairly fresh. There's a warmth and humor to it that provides needed counterweight to the often sordid mysteries. I've heard that the actual Ms. Dubois lacks the charm of Patti Arquette, and some believe she is a con artist. Of course, I think mediums are all, sui generis, con artists.