Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

carrobin
Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, I did catch bits of "Lost" tonight, and saw the whole last half hour because I was expecting the news to be on. I'm not sure how regular viewers took it, but I thought it was something of an existential cop-out. I was happy to see the dog, though.
carrobin
Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Just read a media-news blurb saying Neil Gaiman has written a "Doctor Who" script. Way to go, Doctor....
Earl
Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Whedonverse actor alert:

Enver Gjokaj, the chameleon-like actor who played Victor on Dollhouse, was a guest star on tonight's episode of the FOX series Lie to Me. If you missed it and want to look for it on the Hulu thing, the name of the episode is "React to Contact."

I didn't know he was going to be on the show before it started or I would've posted sooner. I watch the show regularly and recognized him instantly in the first scene. He plays an Iraq War veteran with mental problems. Imagine Victor was never recruited by the Dollhouse and never had Joss Whedon writing for him, and it's something close to that.

And he's actually the best performer in that episode. As I watched him interact with the regulars on the show, I conjured the metaphor of a gourmet chef working in the kitchen of a diner for a day. He wouldn't have gourmet food or equipment to work with, but he'd still turn out some great stuff with what he had. And it would be better than what the regular employees produce.

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the Hulu advice, Earl.

-Topher
Earl
Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
And here are some photos from the episode courtesy of IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3130622720/nm2222175

For some reason, though, his IMDB main profile page doesn't list that episode on his Filmography. Maybe that will be corrected soon.

Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Hey, gang. A follow-up:

Remember last year at this time when I was raving about a BBC America show called Being Human?

Well, Season One is out on DVD. It was only six episodes, so if you get it quickly you can tear through it before Saturday night.

Why the rush? Because Season Two just started on BBC America. I missed the S2 premiere ep this past Saturday night, but they will rerun it this coming Saturday night prior to showing the next ep.

Well, don't just sit there staring at your screen. Get moving!

Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't really get into "Being Human"--too many other distractions in my life at the moment. But last week's "Doctor Who" was fabulous. I don't know whether it was brilliant or insane, but it was great fun watching the universe being destroyed and re-created. I'm liking Matt Smith more, but David Tennant is still my favorite of the modern docs.
Earl
Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
I couldn't really get into "Being Human"--too many other distractions in my life at the moment.

I quote my one-year-younger self:

Quote:
I say with confidence that any fan of the Buffyverse who is also a BBC America subsciber (out of the people here, is that pretty much just me and Carrobin?) would enjoy this show. Equal parts drama and comedy; the supernatural/fantasy element; the smart, witty dialogue; and the metaphors, oh, the metaphors.

And I stand by that quotation today. My one-year-younger self was wise beyond his years. I understand we are all busy. And there are lots of movies and TV shows fighting for our leisure time. But Being Human is worthy of attention. Seriously.

Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Okay, maybe I'll give it another shot.
knox
Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
Happy birthday, Mira Furlan, aka Danielle Rousseau. And also to Michael Emerson, aka Benjamin Linus.
grace
Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I still miss Lost a little - not like life can't go on or anything, but many Saturday nights I fall asleep watching the repeat episodes on Channel 7.
Lots of good birthdays today, by the way - Buddy Holly and Chrissie Hynde, for example.
bartist
Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote
I've never seen a repeat of "Lost" -- but I will miss it. Still catching up with "Glee" repeats. I liked the dumpster ritual...the long line of geeks waiting their turn to be tossed in. Or Rachel, imagining that her mother is either Patty LuPone....or Bernadette Peters. Or Will doing a duet of Aerosmith's "Dream On" with NPHarris, very OTT. Or...okay I'm hooked.

Mira Furlan -- the kind of Yugo I'd like to drive. (must be weird to have a nationality that no longer exists...the civil war is why we were lucky enough to get her for Bab 5 and Lost)

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote
Edina Menzel looks so much like Rachel that one can't help but wonder if the actresses are really related in some way.
knox
Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
It's Idina, and yes, she did make a plausible mom for Rachel, though they are only 15 years apart in age. Idina is married to actor Taye Diggs, and I picture them having absurdly cute children.

Idina and Lea Michele are probably not related, though. Idina is of Ashkenazi ancestry and Lea Michele is Spanish-Sephardic on her dad's side, Italian on her mom's. Which means she is blessed, as I am, in being half-Italian.

That whole "dreams" episode was hilarious. I think that's the one where Kurt is trying to impersonate John Mellencamp and making out with the goofy blonde cheerleader, to get dad's attention.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Kurt's take on "Rose's Turn" was terrific. I'll bet he grows up to be a Vegas superstar.