Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:49 am Reply with quote
I heard good things about Manchild, and I like Bones, though I rarely watch it. By the way, remember the Angel episode with the comic opening when he'd just signed with Wolfram and Hart, and the coporate folks showed up out of nowhere when he saved the girl, making her sign wavers, etc.? There was a gopher there to aid Angel who asked if he'd like a latte. That was TJ Thyne, who plays Hodgins on Bones. Kinda neat.

-Topher
carrobin
Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:15 am Reply with quote
Didn't know that. But I'll bet I'll recognize him next time I see that episode (which could happen one of these early mornings when I'm actually awake before 8:00 and checking TNT).

"Manchild" wasn't sci-fi--it was about four guys, one of them married and three not--one might compare it to "Sex and the City" but the girls are guys and the city is London. My favorite was when Head went to a country house hotel for a holiday and left a computer cam to check whether the mousetrap he'd left in his kitchen killed the mouse there. As the days went on, he and his friends observed the mouse avoiding the trap, and then one of the guys said he thought it was a female mouse and she was pregnant and building a nest. Head became more and more concerned and ended up racing home to save the mouse. Too late.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I knew it wasn't sci-fi. I think what kept me from actively seeking it out (though it's only run here on cable BBC, it must be availabe on DVD or something) is that it sounds too Boomerish, along the lines of a movie like Wonder Boyz. And I get just a little cranky when I hear Boomers (happily) bemoaning that they are still acting like kids.

-Topher
bartist
Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Word.

Bones is the only forensic show I bother to watch, from time to time -- not only the terrific chemistry and intuitive v. logical thing between Boreanaz and Tempe, but occasional bits of problem-solving that are freaking brilliant....like the time that Hodgins and Tempe are trapped in a buried car and Hodgins figures out how to make more oxygen using a cellphone battery.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I hate that I don't get to watch Bones regularly. Haven't seen this season at all. The problem is, I teach at night and don't own a TiVo. Actually, I don't even get television reception anymore, but that's by choice I made...because I work at night and don't have a TiVo.

At first I thought the show was too generic, not eccentric enough. Either I misjudged it or the show changed quickly. The cast has lots of personality, and the plotlines are interesting. I miss Zach. I wish all the characters weren't so damn pretty, in that typical Hollywood cardboard way, because that's kinda shallow (isn't it enough that they're all brilliant?).

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm assuming that you know why Zack is gone. The shrink is a very good new addition. Not so new of course, but very good.
carrobin
Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I liked the show where they pulled Zach out to help with a case. The show is generally likeable with the occasional excellent episode. I don't ask for more than that these days. (Though I agree that those nerds and squints are way too pretty.)
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, Zach's rigidly rational mind was manipulated by a serial killer. I'm just saying I miss him (remember when he sang opera in the lab?).

-Topher
carrobin
Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Due to the annual condo owners' meeting tonight, I missed the first half of "Bones," but I was happy to catch the wedding at the end. About bloody time, too.
carrobin
Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Speak of the devil--tonight I was watching the second episode of the new "Freezing" Britcom on the Sundance channel, and there was Anthony Head. He was playing himself as the lead in a Mamet play doing an audition with Elizabeth McGovern and complaining about her "cheese breath." That's a hilarious show, by the way--and I didn't even realize I could get the Sundance channel till I heard about it.
Syd
Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Flashforward's been canceled, which isn't a surprise because the ratings have been tanking. Still, next week's show is the other end of the blackout.

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I'll try to catch next week's "FlashForward," then. I'm not surprised it's been canceled either--you can''t start a series off with a bang and then bring it screeching to a halt and then start it up again and expect people to hang in there. It should have been handled like "24."
Syd
Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
The opposite happened with "Glee". It's audience is up 50% since it came back. Next week is the episode directed by Josh Whedon. They'd better ease off on the life lessons. Last week's was pretty heavy-handed.

Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
They'd better ease off on the life lessons. Last week's was pretty heavy-handed.

That's something that torpedoes a lot of shows. The Good Wife will lose me if continue down that road. That's what sunk Shark.
carrobin
Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:28 am Reply with quote
I caught up with "Glee" toward the end of its first season, which left me anticipating the second season with high expectations. Some episodes are better than others, but I always enjoy the musical numbers. Looking forward to the Whedon.