Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

Joe Vitus
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:45 am Reply with quote
I have no idea why gay men like Voyager so much, but they do. I think maybe they are more comfortable with women in power than the "typical" Trekker male. I don't think Janeway was either butch or had a thing for Seven. I don't think there's really any gay sensibility to the show. But, the most unpopular of Star Trek series in the geneneral Trekker community, it seems to have a very strong appeal to gay men. It seems like every gay man I know likes it.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:03 am Reply with quote
Two things.

Billy,

I don't know if I should address this to you, as moderator, or to Lshap as administator, but I think something's wrong with technically with this forum. No matter which page I click on from the Index, I'm always taking to the first. This is the third computer I've logged on (different kinds of computers, and one on a different internet connection in a different town), and the problem is always there, so I'm gussing it's site oriented. I just wanted to call it to someone's attention.

Fellow Buffyites,

I thought I'd link this.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/28/buffy.scholars.ap/index.html
pedersencr
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:35 am Reply with quote
Joe,
Many, many thanks for the Buffy link!
My grown daughter once asked me why I was interested in a show oriented toward teen-age girls, and I emailed a long response of self-justification. Now I see I needn't have felt so defensive -- maybe a little nuts, but not so defensive Smile

Count me a fan,
Charles
Haiku
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:02 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the link Joe.

I'd love to wear a little WWBD? bracelet.

A good friend is writing a paper for her masters librarian program on Buffy and Myth in the Age of Information. I cannot wait to read it!!
billyweeds
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:25 am Reply with quote
joe--All I can tell you is that I don't have that problem, either with this forum or any of the others. It must be from your end. Sorry I can't be more helpful; maybe Lorne or Marc can give you some extra insight.
Marilyn
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:38 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Quote:
I'm always taking to the first

Joe, you made me laugh with that today! With all that's been happening, I needed that.
lotang
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Joe-Thanks for the link. It was great.

Haiku-I was imagining WWBD bumper stickers...

Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 2:28 pm Reply with quote
[color=darkred]WWBD?[/color]

Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Tru Calling

CONTAINS SPOILERS, IN CASE YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE LAST EPISODE

I finally got around to watching the season finale of Tru Calling. Interesting. Well, I guess that eliminates Jack as a love interest (something Tru certainly lacks now). OK, if he is her opposite, why does he need to relive days? The person's dead already. He must know that she exists, but how did he find out? And what did he do before he knew about her? Apparently he was already reliving days (which had confused him enough to seek mental help) but must not have known why. And why is Tru's dad apparently no longer able to ensure deaths? Maybe when his wife died (which he probably caused), he lost his power. Perhaps you must have an opposite in existence to have either kind of ability. Which implies that if Jack didn't exist, Tru couldn't save people. Or am I reading too much into this? It's not a Whedon show, after all. Any thoughts?

Isaacism, 2009
lshap
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Joe,

I also don't have that problem on my end. If you've received the same problem from three separate computers the only thing I can think of is it's some setting in your personal profile.

If I can figure it out I'll email you.
lshap
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Joe - This may be the answer: On the bottom of each forum is an option, "Display posts from previous:". It must be set to view "Oldest" posts first. For some reason, setting it to view the newest posts causes problems with the page index selection.

Try that and let me know.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Marilyn

I'm glad to see you laughing.

Lshap,

It is set to "oldest", but I'm beginging to think you have psychic powers or something, because everytime I come to you with a technical problem, it disappears even though nothing was done...on this level of reality. Somehow, for the first time, I was brought to the most recent page when I clicked on it. You could make a million bucks with that talent.

Billy

Thanks.
pedersencr
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Nancy,
I've been watching Tru Calling and I thought that ending was completely fascinating. Couldn't begin to figure it out, but it was amazing all of a sudden to see them all on the same screen, with family relations suddenly blazing out loud.

Hope it comes back next season. It should be much more interesting, as the writers have apparently realized that the original premise of Dru-vs-death all by herself wasn't floating so well.

It's a keeper in my book,
Charles
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:03 am Reply with quote
As some of you know, I stopped watching Buffy for a while during season three. I didn't care much for Faith back then, and knowing what she was up to when the gang did not was unbearable for me. Consequently, there are many episodes I've never seen. Tonight, the local Fox station reran one of them, in which the gang tries to steal a box the Mayor will utilize in the Ascension. Willow had a couple of kick-ass moments, and the Mayor did a mental manipulation on Buffy and Angel. There were some touching moments. Don't know how well you guys remember old episodes, but I enjoyed it tremendously. It's great to have episodes still to look forward to!

Funny, watching the high school years is a bit to me like leafing through my own yearbook. All those fresh faces, unaware of what has happened since. Willow told Buffy she was going to stay in Sunnydale and do what she wants to do with her life: fight evil. I can't help but think that later she became addicted to magic, and still later almost destroyed the world. Yet, she was there until the end, and she did fight a lot of evil. She was part of the final big fight in Sunnydale. Episodes produce more levels of emotion in me now than it when they first aired.
lotang
Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 2:32 am Reply with quote
Nandy-

As far as I can figure out from the Tru Calling finale, Tru's father used to do the same job as Jack and that he's the one who pointed Jack in the direction of Tru. Tru's father also arranged to have Tru's mother killed by the ex-con. It seems they have set up a sort of yin/yang dynamic with Tru working to save people and Jack working to make sure they die, or at least someone dies. I sort of like the show and am glad it will be back.

Further, did anyone watch the Joan of Arcadia finale and can you tell me what happened? I missed it and don't feel like waiting till they repeat it.