Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

carrobin
Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, it was true that the villain was rather amorphous--what was "the wire" and where did it come from?--and the whole premise could have worked well spread out into a two-parter. But generally it was a very entertaining show, and seeing the Doctor as a pompadored motorcyclist and Rose in her big pink skirt was great fun. And the whole London-in-the-fifties ambiance was lovely.
Earl
Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Any Losties out there planning on checking out the show that ABC will put in its time slot, the Taye Diggs vehicle called Daybreak? Some are already calling it a serious Groundhog Day. But perhaps it was inspired more by the excellent, frightening movie that inspired Groundhog Day. That was short film called 12:01P.M. starring Kurtwood Smith, who is better know as Red Foreman on the sitcom That 70's Show. Daybreak also looks to have a little of Tru Calling in it as well.

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:46 am Reply with quote
So far I get "Daybreak" confused with that new movie being advertised, "Deja Vu." I'm not sure if I'm ready for more confusion.
bart
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:59 am Reply with quote
I've never watched Medium, so I'm going to use the Lost hiatus to check it out.

Prison Break continues to maintain an edge that will slice marble. As long as T-Bag is there to lend a hand, I'll keep watching. And making the obligatory hand pun.

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I'll be doing Daybreak, either. I know the producers freely admit it's a lot like Groundhog Day; but my first impression at seeing a promo for Daybreak was exactly that -- "Oh, man, they're ripping off Groundhog Day."

Plus, it's hockey season, so now we can watch some Wednesday night games without a hole in them from 9-10:01pm. And Lost completely messes up this baking schedule I have, so it'll be nice to get back on schedule. That's probably way more than anyone needed -- or kneaded -- to know, huh?
ehle64
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for Medium!

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:32 am Reply with quote
Channel surfing, I passed an episode of Rosanne. And there, among Becky's friends, was Willow. An early teen, brown-haired Willow, but our favorite witch, nonetheless. For some reason, it brightened my evening.

-Topher
Earl
Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
Channel surfing, I passed an episode of Rosanne. And there, among Becky's friends, was Willow. An early teen, brown-haired Willow, but our favorite witch, nonetheless. For some reason, it brightened my evening.

That's cool. I never knew that, but then I never watched Rosanne regularly. That's probably where Joss Whedon met her, along with Glenn Quinn, of course.

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:22 am Reply with quote
Medium

Was this show well done? I think it was _________.

Was there chemistry between characters? About ________.

Where does this show fall between poor and great? _________.

Are shows on this theme rare? No, I'd say _________. (but better than "ghost Whisperer" by far)

Can tv successfully explore the mysteries of the Beyond? Yes, it is the perfect _________.

Seriously, the "Monkey Heads" plot was too clever by half. I will probably watch again, even though I suspect the "real life" person this series is based on was, like every other medium exposed to scientific scrutiny, a complete and total charlatan. So I'm in the position of not buying the show's basic premise, but enjoying it anyway.

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:43 am Reply with quote
The only reason you checked out Medium was to do the fill-in the blank thing, wasn't it? Not that I'm complaining, just kidding around.
carrobin
Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:54 am Reply with quote
I'm a believer in psychic abilities (and I'm aware that the majority of people who make money on them are fakes), and I thought last night's "Medium" was pretty good. Interesting to see her real-life husband as the ghost--would Nicolas Cage have done that, I wonder?
bart
Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:59 am Reply with quote
I'm so busted.

Well, I'd seen Ghost Whisperer, mostly because as a former dead person (see below) , I felt duty-bound to see what they'd come up with. So I viewed Medium along the same lines, with some detachment and a cold critical eye.

When I was young and going through a growth spurt of some kind, I had robust health....except for a brief period where I had a heart murmur of the type that you grow out of. One day, I came in from playing baseball and sat down to read something. My heart, for some reason, decided to suddenly slow down and drop my bp to something like 30/20, and all my blood went down into my legs and I passed out. I left my physical body and after floating around the living room for a while, went into this weird nonspace that was composed of vast areas of inky blackness with little areas where images were arranged in a dim and incomprehensible mosaic. The images were unclear, but some were deeply tinged with menace and involved flashing teeth and evil glowing eyes, while others were cartoonlike images of human bodies stretched in various improbable ways. I was pretty sure I was dead, and that being dead was NOTHING like I'd heard about in church or anywhere else.

Then my Mom told me to quit acting weird and come have some hot dogs.

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:00 pm Reply with quote
bart: Though I've never had that kind of experience (despite the fact that I had many health problems as a kid), I have experienced contact from a person who had recently died. He wasn't even someone I knew, but I had read about him in the paper and was angry because he'd done something so stupid to get himself killed. I was meditating that night and sensed someone there who was really upset with me, furious in fact, because I was "a stupid cow who doesn't know anything." I knew immediately who he was, and felt it was pretty cool that he was getting in touch, and apologized mentally for believing the newspaper account. He seemed as surprised as I was that the contact had been made, and calmed down--nothing "spoken," just the feelings coming through. (Later I found out the report was wrong about his cause of death.)
grace
Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I've been tucked in by someone I couldn't see; and growing up was repeatedly the subject of a practical joke type thing that nobody would cop to, nor was I able to ever catch somone in the act. Which is all pretty lame compared to the previous two accounts, but that's why I don't completely not believe.
bart
Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I had a roommate who swore to me that some ghost molested him one night -- inappropriate touching, some of it rectal. It sounded unpleasant. He was, btw, a heavy drinker on the weekends. And this happened on a weekend.

I was a little confused by the dead photographer/old flame in "Medium" -- he dies when his motorcycle hits a bus. OK. But then he gets on a jet and flies back to the U.S. If you're dead, what's with the jet? Can't you just think yourself to wherever you want to be? Or does it take a while to figure out, and so you're following your corporeal habits for a while? Or maybe he just imagines he flew back, but did in fact "think himself" over to Patty Arquette's place and has filled in the transit with the now obsolete logic of his former existence.

I had another near-death experience more recently, due to another medical thing with my heart, which turned out to be completely harmless but no less terrifying in its symptoms than something bad. It has some jargon name that escapes me at the moment, like "atrial ectoplasia" or something, and causes a wild arrhythmia for a few moments. I learned after that all you have to do is cough or splash cold water on your face, and it'll quit right away. It only returnned a few times, and you can bet I did some world-class coughing and splashing when it did. But the first time, I thought I was looking into the Abyss, and right away I knew, in a real deep profound way, that I did NOT want to go there. "Timor mortis conturbat me."

Unless I can stay at Patty Arquette's house.