Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

grace
Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not being a crystal of frozen water, I've NEVER been part of a snowfall. I did once join a rain of toads over Kuala Lumpur, but that's another story.

Thank you, Mr. Science, just looking to vicariously enjoy some winter weather.
daffy
Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I did once join a rain of toads over Kuala Lumpur, but that's another story.

Mr. Green

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
bart
Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for that giant emoticon grin from the kitchen.

Re

"....just looking to vicariously enjoy some winter weather. "

You snow buffs baffle me.

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
In all my years in Kuala Lumpur I never witnessed a toad falling from the sky. But I remember one bungalow that was subject to a seasonal toad siege. I don't know whether they were young toads in search of wet patch of their own or horny male toads wanting to...but when they found themselves in the house they would inevitably end up in the bathroom. Take it from me, it can be slightly disconcerting to discover mid-shower that you're being scrutinised by a brown amphibian the size of a grapefruit. And toads have got to be the least shoo-able of all God's creatures. It doesn't matter what you do, it just blinks straight back at at you.

Next week: monitor lizards in the roof.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
carrobin
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:47 am Reply with quote
I always figured those tropical paradises weren't all they seemed.
bart
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:23 am Reply with quote
Lizard Monitor Spots Monitor Lizard on Roof

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:01 am Reply with quote
Not Eko. No, no, no, no no. Damn damn damn damn. Please, anybody but Eko.

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote
I fell asleep last night during Lost -- fighting a cold, not the show's influence -- so when I went looking for recaps today, found that Nathan Fillion, of Firefly-Buffy fame, is scheduled to appear on next week's episode.

I know, nobody watches Lost any more, it's so not cool and all that; but if you like Fillion -- which I do, in a "he does interesting work" way, not an XX-chromosome way -- that's where he'll be. (And I heard that the Y chromosome is slowly disappearing, so be careful about picking on the XX-ers, if you know what I mean.....)
bart
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:13 am Reply with quote
I still like "Lost," but it follows "Bones" which I have come to adore.

I share Earl's lament, but given the tricky metaphysics of the Island, can we be sure that we will hear the Eko no more? (sorry)

Anyone else find the Purgatory Theory rearing its weary head again? It's hard not to think that death on the island is a result of concluding your purgatory and going "toward the light" or wherever it is you go post island mortem.

Juliet's plans for a coup are interesting, and it's not terribly difficult to imagine that people, any people, would take a dislike to Ben. But it's hard to imagine, if she has come to know anything about Jack, that she would think she could induce him to violate the Hippocratic Oath.

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:05 pm Reply with quote
grace wrote:
I fell asleep last night during Lost -- fighting a cold, not the show's influence -- so when I went looking for recaps today, found that Nathan Fillion, of Firefly-Buffy fame, is scheduled to appear on next week's episode.

I can't wait. Thanks for the heads-up, grace.

Isaacism, 2009
bart
Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:02 pm Reply with quote
"Lost" chat seems to have fizzled out. Jack has gone very un-Hippocrates on us.

The three month hiatus is a bit odd.

Does the network think more people want to stay in and watch tv in May than they do in December?

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Actually, the hiatus is the plan they laid out last spring in response to the complaints about all the reruns. I would guess that the hiatus is giving them time to produce the episodes that will be aired in the spring.

I think -- and I could easily be wrong -- that the whole "TV Season" concept as it was when I was growing up is kaput. Years ago, Fox and FX started debuting shows in traditional slow parts of the TV year -- May, the summer -- and the shows took off. That, to me, was the beginning of the end of the big fall premiere week that had so long been a staple of Televisionland. Anyway, I'd guess that ABC is guessing that the "nobody watches in nice weather" tradition is going or gone by the wayside.

Jack didin't kill Ben/Henry yet. Talk about an hour seeming like an eternity, though! Or at least, a couple of months.

The Kate story kind of bugged me in that all of Kate's backstories have shown how she consistently acts to save her own skin and will throw anyone to the dogs that she has to. And now she's hung around how many times for Sawyer? I guess you might call it progress, character-wise, but what a crappy time to start evolving. At least if she successfully escaped, she could always try to come back and rescue Sawyer. And maybe Jack.

I'm not necesarily buying the Alcatraz story. The Others seem to lie a lot in order to manipulate -- ie, the pacemaker story. So, I'd have to wonder in the back of my mind whether they're telling the truth this time.

Plus, I've been on even tiny little islands, where you don't realize that you're connected to that land mass a little ways away -- you just have to follow the coastline around a funky little bay or something. Sayid never did make it all the way around the island, so who knows?

And James Earl Ray acted alone.
bart
Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Your take on the deadness of the tv season concept sounds about right. As for Jack, I meant he was unHippocrates in knicking Ben's hepatic vein or whatever and then using this deliberate act of injury to bargain with. I'm not blaming him, given what kind of fellow Ben seems to be. But he has crossed the basic line of his profession and so we have an interesting father/son resonance there, even if Jack's transgression seems so much more justified.

Kate is interesting -- a murderess and a bandita, yet each step can be seen as a justifiable transgression, a falling domino in the game of surviving a hardscrabble life. Interesting choice of hubby, too -- a cop. Given the logistical problem right there, you have to think it was true love that led her into that marriage.

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:14 pm Reply with quote
And yet (re Kate), with the guy who is likely a true love (with apologies to The Princess Bride) - she drugs him and runs. So if Kate refuses to leave Sawyer's side now, is he an even truer love? I just have a hard time with the change in character. No slur on cats intended -- I have three of them -- but Kate has always seemed very cat-like in her survival tactics. Now all of a sudden she's gone Golden Retriever -- or maybe German Shepherd, a little more faithful, I think. So not only has the cat changed her spots, she's also changed species. Dr. Moreau indeed!

And I wonder if she's thinking about telling the guys holding Sawyer at the cliff-hanging point, not that it was very cliffy at all, "Sawyer's coming with me or Ben bites it!" Well, she's got a couple months to ponder it, I guess.

I have a jaundiced view of doctors in real life anyway. It's not like I expect them to go around nicking people in the kidneys, but I think most MDs I've gotten to know do have a messianic streak/power trip thing going. Not that that's anything new in entertainment, either. So, as ill-timed as Kate's character evolution might seem, Jack's abrupt embrace of the "I have the power of life and death" concept might be remarkably well-timed.

Or not. Just my opinion(s).
Earl
Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote
bart wrote:
"Lost" chat seems to have fizzled out. Jack has gone very un-Hippocrates on us.

I didn't comment last night because I stayed on the couch (and on ABC) to watch The Nine and then went straight to sleep after.

Re Jack seeming to ignore the "Do no harm" rule, don't forget that we learned in a previous episode that Jack is a skilled poker player. It's possible that he is bluffing and that no harm was done to Ben. Yet.

By the way, does anyone know what story Jack is referring to that he told Kate their first day on the island?