Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

lotang
Posted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I have to confess that I watched Enterprise all the way through this season for the first time. But then again I'm a sucker for story arcs. Star Trek has gotten so far away from what it originally was that it's sad. The reason the original was good was because Roddenberry had some of the best Sci-fi authors living writing episodes and the editor was D.C. Fontana-also a great writer. The episodes were about ideas. Now we are stuck in the Berman era of special effects and recycled ideas and the whole Star Trek universe is going down the Time Travel abyss. Time travel should never be easy and it should have huge ramifications. But it seems like the only idea that Star Trek has. And the ending with Archer and the Enterprise thrown back to World War II Earth with some sort of alien as the new nemesis as a cliff hanger??? I agree with Janeway-time travel just gives me a headache.

Posted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Voyager was the worst, but I liked Enterprise. It was both a bit naive about space travel and advanced in terms of sexuality.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:30 am Reply with quote
Marilyn,

Quote:
Voyager was the worst

It's obvious you are not a gay man.
Marilyn
Posted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:09 am Reply with quote
I'm glad it's obvious. I wouldn't want there to be any question about my identity. But what is so gay about Voyager? Captain Janeway?
dlhavard
Posted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:01 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
I always suspected Janeway might of had a "thang" for 7. And that 7 might have reciprocated if it weren't for the fact that it was a "family show." Shocked
lshap
Posted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
dlhavard wrote:
I always suspected Janeway might of had a "thang" for 7. And that 7 might have reciprocated if it weren't for the fact that it was a "family show." Shocked

That establishes why straight men watched the show.

I'm still waiting to hear why gay men liked it.

Is it 'cause Janeway was the best female impersonator ever in outer space?
Marilyn
Posted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:35 pm Reply with quote
That was my thought, Lorne. Janeway was very butch.
lotang
Posted: Sat May 29, 2004 11:57 am Reply with quote
This may be stirring up a hornet's nest, but since when does being strong and decisive equal butch? It's not Janeway wore flannel shirts on the bridge?

Posted: Sat May 29, 2004 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Testing. I'm going to stay with my Buff Buds for a while. While I love reading how unstable and oversensitive I am, I prefer to talking to people I trust.
marantzo
Posted: Sat May 29, 2004 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Voyager was far from the worst. It was almost as good as TNG and in some cases better. It had the best resolution of any of the series, Deep Space Nine was by far the worst. When the story revolved around the Captain or Kierra and that stupid emmisary/prophets BS it was unwatchable.
Marc
Posted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:43 pm Reply with quote
"Testing. I'm going to stay with my Buff Buds for a while."

testing to see if you had been banned?
Well, as you can see, you were not. But the next time you ask to be banned, your wish will come true.

"I prefer talking to people I trust."

Trust this: your temper tantrums are not going to effect policy in these forums.
Nancy
Posted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't agree that Deep Space Nine was the worst. Sure, it had some far-fetched moments, but it was the only one (since the original series) where I felt like these characters actually would have hung out together. TNG had the best acting, but I always felt like some of the crew interaction (such as the group poker games) was a bit forced. DS9 was probably the series I felt most comfortable with.

marantzo wrote:
Voyager was far from the worst. It was almost as good as TNG and in some cases better. It had the best resolution of any of the series, Deep Space Nine was by far the worst. When the story revolved around the Captain or Kierra and that stupid emmisary/prophets BS it was unwatchable.

Isaacism, 2009
Marilyn
Posted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I loved DS9. It broke from the accepted Star Trek formula, and put the Federation square in the middle of a war. The moral ambiguities were extremely interesting.

I watched a repeat of "Dirty Girls" (S7 Buffy) and was knocked out by the clever writing by Drew Goddard. Buffy walks in as Xander is praising her to the SITs. Faith, who reunites with the crew in this episode says, "Damn, Buffy, I didn't know you wer that good!" Buffy replies "You always were a little slow." Faith says, "Yeah." Priceless. Also, Andrew telling tales of how Faith slayed a vulcanologist, thinking he studied Vulcans. The episode was full of meat and motion. I loved it to the max!
sioux
Posted: Sat May 29, 2004 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I still wanna know why gay men loved Voyager.

Marilyn - I think I need to rewatch all of Season 7. I was so hating it at the time but I think knowing the end I will be less harsh. I hope so anyway.

Season Six is coming!!!!! Musical buffy is coming!!!!
lotang
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:06 am Reply with quote
I am tempted to buy Season 6 even though I thought it was the weakest season simply for the whole uncut musical episode. I just rewatched the episode where Faith breaks out of prison to help retrieve Angel. And as I was watching the end where she breaks the window to let the sunlight in I thought, that is why she and Buffy survived-they're street fighters willing and able to improvise at a moments notice.