Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  It's Not TV -- It's HBO!

pedersencr
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Billy,
Lissa,
Anyone else who piles on,

Answer will be provided in a bit.

Just now I have to pack for a trip downstate, and I'll be taking the time while driving to be putting together a sort of careful response, in order not to provoke a wid-ranging brawl over irrelevant matters. Two giants against a pipsqueak is tough enough Smile And you are both giants in this area.

In fact, I guess I do owe you both a careful response since indeed you do not seem to see where I am coming from -- which is my fault in being unclear, I readily admit. Obligation on me to be clearer.

So, til then,
Respectfully, but undaunted,
Charles
lissa
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, G - but Lissa is NOT a size 18. *teasing grins* Seriously - didn't you feel it? She was going deeper and deeper into that unknown territory, being driven out of range, completely in another's power, and knowing that what lies ahead is only going to lead to tragedy. The landscape and the setting, plus her mini-daydream, just epitomize her destiny. She was driving in the car, driving herself (i.e. in control), heading out of NJ, with the song on the radio. Suddenly, the richness of her stereo becomes the tinny sound of Silvio's car radio, she is not looking forward to the open road but into her own terrified face in the mirror (mirror image = backwards), the scenery becomes dull and filled with death (the brown leaves, the bare trees), and she then gazes out the window to her doom. The sensory aspect of it all is just so well executed. NO PUN INTENDED...(okay, lil one...)

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:32 pm Reply with quote
So Adriana driving alone was a day dream flash! Makes sense.
lissa
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Ghulam...of course - remember her pink suitcase next to her? It's the very one she was packing in the apartment, which we next see being transported and discarded by Chris.

And the segue of her face on camera as she drives out of town, right to the image of her in Silvio's mirror...well, didn't ya get that? Wink

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:51 pm Reply with quote
The show packs little gems that can be appreciated only by multiple viewing.
lissa
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:34 pm Reply with quote
You're absolutely right. And given as how I watched my tape at 4 in the morning (yeah, I've got insomnia), I didn't have room to rewatch but I plan to this evening.

Gads, I'm gonna miss it...

BTW, did everyone catch that the finale is not next week, but in TWO weeks? Thank goodness, 'cause I have a bar-mitzvah next weekend and Sunday night is the party - I was thinking of cancelling but it's family...and outlaw--errr, inlaw family at that...not a smart move...right? So I'm pretty happy to wait the two weeks where ordinarily I'd be complaining.

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
Spoilers....

I think I missed something - who was the body washed up on the rocks? At first I thought it was Tony B.
lissa
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:46 pm Reply with quote
That body was the key to getting Adriana in. He was the drug dealer killed by Metouche (sp?) in her club, the one whose murder she was caught on camera as she tried to cover it up (taking the bloody things from the dumpster and putting them in her trunk). It was because of that body washing up, and the tape the Feds had of the back of Adriana's club, and the goings-on there, that they were able to bring her in and charge her with obstruction.

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:51 pm Reply with quote
......he promised no more "indiscretions".....

Not exactly. He chose his words. It was more like, my (sexual) behavior will never again intrude on your life.
Kate
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
Thanks Lissa - probably should have caught that, must have been refilling my glass.

I am with re both the scene with Chris and her final scene - really moving, I felt so sorry for the both of them until C justs cuts and walks away.
john s
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I think Tony S. is going to tell Johnny Sack that he "took care" of Tony B. but will really keep him in hiding somewhere far. After all, Tony S. must have operations elsewhere, like Vegas or Reno.
john s
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:24 pm Reply with quote
john s wrote:
I think Tony S. is going to tell Johnny Sack that he "took care" of Tony B. but will really keep him in hiding somewhere far. After all, Tony S. must have operations elsewhere, like Vegas or Reno.
john s
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Where does the subject line appear in the submitted message and
why did my post twice?

Are these glitches you've all gone over already? Smile
lissa
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:26 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to feel sorry for Chris when he's so callous about the murder of the woman he loved. Or said he did. I think he did.

What's very interesting here is the juxtaposition between protecting Family and wasting members. Tony S is protecting his cousin, but set Adriana up to be killed. (AND we've yet to see the effect on him that must be having, as he had a thing for Adriana too) Then there's his attack on Chris when Chris was morose at the end. That was - in my eyes - part anger, part frustration that it had to be that way, and part just plain adrenaline.

Of course, the argument here, is that Adriana went outside the compound while what TB did is internal and a matter of honor not exposure.

Still, it's fascinating to watch the double-standard (in our world) being so easily carried out as gospel (in theirs).

Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:35 pm Reply with quote
The mob experts at Slate discuss last night's episode. They seem to agree with Billy regarding the gas station episode:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2101013/entry/0/