Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  It's Not TV -- It's HBO!

Marj
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Wrong! If you'd met him, you'd like him even more. Trust me on this.
marantzo
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
marantzo wrote:
Here, here.

First of all, it's "Hear, hear." (Arguably.)

But--although I do like Mandy Patinkin (and that's probably because I've never met him which makes most people run in the other direction, apparently)--I think the best thing about Homeland is Damian Lewis and the second best is Claire Danes. Patinkin is terrific, though, as is the whole cast.

I always forget if it should be 'here, here' or 'hear, hear'. And Marj is right about Patinkin. Whenever I've seen him on some talk show or late night with Letterman etc. I always found him to be very nice and delightfully quirky and funny.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:00 am Reply with quote
Well, there is definite evidence (from Toni Collette and Mike Nichols for starters) to suggest that Patinkin is no day at the beach. He and Collette came to actual physical blows backstage at the Broadway musical The Wild Party, and Patinkin was replaced by Jack Nicholson within days of the beginning of the Heartburn shoot, reportedly because MP was such a douche. This isn't to say the rumors are correct or that it's not a "He said s/he said" situation, but the rumors are out there. On the other hand, I have friends who swear MP is a prince.

And now there's Marj. And who can dispute Marj? Certainly not me. Hey, set up a coffee date, just Mandy and me.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:10 am Reply with quote
Saw (of course) the Season Two premiere of Enlightened, and it's a great start to what they hope will be a ratings-growing season. Amy (our "enlightened" and semi-evolved but almost always infuriating heroine) gets in touch with a muckraking reporter from the L.A. Times (played by the usually underrated Dermot Mulroney) and begins a journey (aided by her reluctant work buddy Mike White) which she hopes will bring down her evil company.

Laura Dern is beyond great. She's channeled something indescribable in the character of Amy Jellicoe, and she's backed up by a superb cast. White is the best nerd imaginable and Diane Ladd is wonderfully reactive. No Luke Wilson on this episode, but he'll be back and he is sensational.

(Side note: Am I the only person in the world who prefers Luke Wilson to Owen and Beau Bridges to Jeff?)
Marj
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Well, there is definite evidence (from Toni Collette and Mike Nichols for starters) to suggest that Patinkin is no day at the beach. He and Collette came to actual physical blows backstage at the Broadway musical The Wild Party, and Patinkin was replaced by Jack Nicholson within days of the beginning of the Heartburn shoot, reportedly because MP was such a douche. This isn't to say the rumors are correct or that it's not a "He said s/he said" situation, but the rumors are out there. On the other hand, I have friends who swear MP is a prince.

And now there's Marj. And who can dispute Marj? Certainly not me. Hey, set up a coffee date, just Mandy and me.

C'mon now, Billy. Isn't it kind of like "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder?" Each person's experience is unique. Who knows? MP may indeed be a douche. That just wasn't my experience.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
He's probably like most people--naughty sometimes and nice at others.
bartist
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm on the hold list at the PL for "Homeland: Season One" - so guess I will figure out what all the fuss is about. I think the presence of Patinkin tipped the scale for me - I really like him, no matter where he is on the nice/naughty spectrum. Also will catch the first season of Enlightened, hopefully before the snow melts here. You had me at Laura Dern.

PS - and Luke Wilson. Who is the actor in the family. Owen is the funny man. My dream is to see them play together, perhaps in a film about stealing expensive furs from a cold storage facility and a man's sudden infatuation with a lovely Latina motel housekeeper.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:08 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Add me to the list of Homeland fans. Only six episodes into season-one and I'm already blown away by the writing and acting. I had no idea Claire Danes had such acting depth! And Mandy Patinkin has the best line delivery of anyone I can remember. A perfect example of how the softer you speak, the stronger the effect.

What's telling is how much dramatic bang this show gets with so little violence or chasing. The roller coaster ride of intensity is fueled by unalloyed scriptwriting. Amazing!

Bart - I hate fucking with people's expectations and I hope this doesn't throw yours out of whack. It's not some transcendent metaphysical thing, it's just a TV show that's a lot of fun, for all the right reasons.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:16 am Reply with quote
lshap wrote:

Bart - I hate fucking with people's expectations and I hope this doesn't throw yours out of whack. It's not some transcendent metaphysical thing, it's just a TV show that's a lot of fun, for all the right reasons.

Damn. I had assumed "Enlightened" was about Laura Dern achieving nirvana and then glowing blissfully in front of the camera.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:40 am Reply with quote
lshap wrote:
Add me to the list of Homeland fans. Only six episodes into season-one and I'm already blown away by the writing and acting. I had no idea Claire Danes had such acting depth! And Mandy Patinkin has the best line delivery of anyone I can remember.

As good as Danes and Patinkin are, the MVP of Homeland is the great Damian Lewis, who makes Brody as complex a character as has ever been seen on television.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Posts about Enlightened exist on "What's On?"
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:33 am Reply with quote
Finally got through the first season of Girls on HBO On Demand. Not the slightest bit disappointing despite all the hype. Lena Dunham and the entire cast keep it real, sometimes poignant, and often laugh-out-loud funny. Although I initially suspected stunt casting in the cases of Allison Williams (daughter of Brian) and Zosia Mamet (daughter of David), they're both excellent, as is Adam Driver as Dunham's f.b. who's becoming her b.f. Most impressive is the refusal to sugarcoat any of the characters. When they're not being lovable, they're all excruciatingly annoying.

Now on to Season Two!
lshap
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
lshap wrote:
Add me to the list of Homeland fans. Only six episodes into season-one and I'm already blown away by the writing and acting. I had no idea Claire Danes had such acting depth! And Mandy Patinkin has the best line delivery of anyone I can remember.

As good as Danes and Patinkin are, the MVP of Homeland is the great Damian Lewis, who makes Brody as complex a character as has ever been seen on television.

Well, after finishing Season One, I definitely have a deeper appreciation of Lewis' fantastic acting. And am even more amazed and impressed with Claire Danes. Half way through the season I couldn't imagine them drawing the storyline out for more than a few episodes. It was all balanced on such a dagger's edge that the plot appeared thisclose to exploding, one way or another. And yet... here we are, all wound up and ready to go for another 12 episodes.

I started a sentence asking if it gets better in Season Two. But I don't want to know. Damn... what a show...

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Lorne,

You really don't want to know ...?
lshap
Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
Lorne,

You really don't want to know ...?

I can see you smiling from here!

Evil temptress...