Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  It's Not TV -- It's HBO!

Trish
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Anyone watching Boardwalk Empire?

I frankly wasn't that impressed after the 1st episode - but since then the show has grown on me immensely.
Marj
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Really. That's good to know, Trish. I did watch the first episode too and I felt like I was watching paint dry. But on your say-so, I'll give it another try.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:05 am Reply with quote
I'm watching Dexter on line, and this season isn't nearly as good as last--how could it be without John Lithgow? But it's interesting and gives the recently almost invisible Julia Stiles a fascinating guest star role as a vengeful rape victim who is teaming up with our anti-hero to ice a gang of tormentors. Worth catching.
Ghulam
Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Boardwalk Empire is well written and directed. Several characters are very interesting. Definitely worthwhile.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm trying to think of a show on the regular networks that were introduce this season, that I like. You can't count things like Land O LA which are the same show in a different city. There isn't one new show that I watch. Bad year.
inlareviewer
Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Since various caregiving/career-searching/political activating duties/endeavours have eaten up so much of my non-existent free time, have only kept up religiously with Dexter out of cable offerings this year (sorry, Weeds, sorry, Breaking Bad, sorry, Mad Men, sorry, Big Love, sorry, score of BBC-America and SciFi faves -- will try to catch up next year). Am wholly satisfied with this season; after Sunday's penultimate episode, am happily hornswoggled to figure out how the George Roy Hill they're going to end it. Must agree that Jonny Lee Miller's self-help-guru/closet psychotic is not a patch on John Lithgow's awesomely terrifying Trinity, but am intrigued by him all the same. Digging the all-but-unrecognizable Peter Weller as Dexter-spying Liddy, especially in how it is complicating Deb and Quinn's relationship; also, what the Fuentes Brothers/Santaria killings are doing to Angel and Maria's relationship. Moreover, as someone who has run hot and cold on Julia Stiles over the years, am loving her work as titanically damaged, vendetta-driven Lumen. Finally, though, it's all about Michael C. Hall, who continues utterly remarkable. Hopefully, Breaking Bad being ineligible for the next Emmy cycle means that Mr. Hall will finally get the best actor trophy he has deserved ever since David Fisher's abduction on Six Feet Under. Anyhoo, remain quite riveted by the series, and am thrilled that Showtime just contracted a 6th season.
L.A Times: Show Tracker: 'Dexter' renews for Season 6

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Totally agree on Dexter, which since my initial post has upped the ante and emerged with one of its best seasons yet. Stiles and Weller and Miller are all aces, and Hall is simply amazing. But what about the super contrib of Jennifer Carpenter (now the off-screen Mrs. Hall as well)? She's another MVP contender.
inlareviewer
Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Totally agree on Dexter, which since my initial post has upped the ante and emerged with one of its best seasons yet. Stiles and Weller and Miller are all aces, and Hall is simply amazing. But what about the super contrib of Jennifer Carpenter (now the off-screen Mrs. Hall as well)? She's another MVP contender.
Am quite blushful to have omitted Mrs. Michael C. Hall, and, after her recent interview w/our employer, in which she couldn't be less like potty-mouthed Deb or more un-Hollywood, am in extra awe. Yes, indeed -- Ms. Carpenter is easily the show's second invaluable asset. Am thinking Deb may finally stumble upon her half-bro's secret in the finale, only not realize the scope of it. Or maybe not -- after the Liddy double-twist last night, am also thinking that it's All Bets Are Off time.

L.A. Times: Calendar: Jennifer Carpenter looks to lighter side beyond 'Dexter'

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:35 am Reply with quote
There's also the distinct possibility (already floated by another internet wag) that Deb may discover Dexter's secret and...just not give a shit.
inlareviewer
Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:49 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
There's also the distinct possibility (already floated by another internet wag) that Deb may discover Dexter's secret and...just not give a shit.
Oooh, love it, makes perfectly twisted Morganian sense. Other theories I've heard around the Interwebs include: Lumen taking whatever fall occurs this season, out of love for Dex; Nanny Sonia taking off with Harrison, out of love for Harrison; and Quinn covering up for what he learns post-Liddy, out of love for Deb. In any case, I do sense that this season sorta must end with at least an opening for Deb to The Truth About Dexter.

We shall see on Sunday next.

Can. Not. Wait.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Just swapped Showtime for HBO in preparation for the reportedly amazing miniseries version of Mildred Pierce starring Kate Winslet in the role that won Joan Crawford her only Oscar. Winslet and Crawford have little in common as actresses, and the two versions of MP reportedly are just as dissimilar. The new version, directed by Todd Haynes, goes back to the James M. Cain novel. Series starts Sunday and I am so there.
Marj
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who is excited about Mildred Pierce.
bartist
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
....starring Kate Winslet in the role that won Joan Crawford her only Oscar....

I may have to sign up for cable.

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
Was excited about the HBO Mildred Pierce from the moment it was announced a year or two back. Now, favorite colleague Mary McNamara's outright rave seals the deal, calling it a revelation:

LA Times-Calendar: Television review: 'Mildred Pierce'

With a cast including not only Kate Winslet but Melissa Leo, Guy Pearce, Evan Rachel Wood, Brian F. O'Bryne, James LeGros, Mare Winningham, etc., under Todd Haynes' direction, how could it be otherwise? Despite Aunt Mary's sole cavil (doesn't find Morgan Turner's younger/Ms. Wood's older Veda subtle enough), just that it stars La Winslet (vastly closer to the persona of Mildred as written than Joan Crawford -- not for nothing did Jerry Wald try to get Barbara Stanwyck to play it in the film, for she would have walked off the page); heck, just that it restores James M. Cain's infinitely superior narrative, with its wickedly unexpected climax and synoptically ironic finale (a contender for best denouement in his entire canon) ensures that I'll be there, preferably with some pie.

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I can hardly wait. Oops, my telly is broken. And I won't know if it's been fixed for another hour. If not I'll have to wait for a cable guy in mid-week. But have no fear, I shall survive this.

Inla--Why did you have to get me even more excited?