Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  It's Not TV -- It's HBO!

billyweeds
Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:23 am Reply with quote
Okay, you guys, anyone who has Netflix should get on the Gravity train. It's unique and even slightly visionary. A dramedy about suicide survivors with the great tagline "A show about life when death doesn't work out," it's very worth catching up with. The current episode is #7 out of ten, and on next week's episode--premiering Friday the 11th--you can see me in a cute bit as a pharmacist selling laxative.
Trish
Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Okay, you guys, anyone who has Netflix should get on the Gravity train. It's unique and even slightly visionary. A dramedy about suicide survivors with the great tagline "A show about life when death doesn't work out," it's very worth catching up with. The current episode is #7 out of ten, and on next week's episode--premiering Friday the 11th--you can see me in a cute bit as a pharmacist selling laxative.

I'll have to check that out - thanks for the heads up
Marj
Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I have a question about Nurse Jackie. And I'm sure it's a naive one but here goes: I'm aware that drug abuse among nurses is high. I'm also aware that Jackie has a bad back. However she seems too smart to allow herself to become addicted, especially to the point we see her, at the end of Season 2.

I suppose in my own naive world, I'd expect her to get surgery for her back rather than become an addict. I'm not judging her. I'm just confused.
marantzo
Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Have never seen the series, but back surgery can be a very touchy affair in some back problem cases and sometimes do more hard than good. What back problem does she have?

I am guessing she is taking one of the oxycodone family of drugs. They are generally what is used for painful back problems.
billyweeds
Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
I have a question about Nurse Jackie. And I'm sure it's a naive one but here goes: I'm aware that drug abuse among nurses is high. I'm also aware that Jackie has a bad back. However she seems too smart to allow herself to become addicted, especially to the point we see her, at the end of Season 2.

I suppose in my own naive world, I'd expect her to get surgery for her back rather than become an addict. I'm not judging her. I'm just confused.

I admit it may he hard to understand, but some highly intelligent people (e.g., me) can get addicted. It has nothing to do with smarts. One of the brightest women I know, and one of the most likeable, is a nurse who has been clean and sober now for many years but was totally addicted to drugs she got in the hospital.
Marj
Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Gary and Billy. And Gary, you're right. She takes the drugs you mentioned. But I don't know if she's had back surgery or not.

Billy, I know that it shouldn't have to do with intelligence. I guess the notion of becoming addicted frightens me. I'm supposed to be taken Vicoden until I have my surgery in August, but I cannot take a therapeutic dose. For one thing, it's makes me feel as if I'm swimming through molasses. And for another, I'm too scared!!
marantzo
Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Dr. House would be disappointed in you.
Marj
Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Gary, I'm disappointed in me. Obviously it doesn't matter when I'm just sitting around, as I am today. But if I have to climb those stairs, I do take a therapeutic dose.

And Billy, I can see getting addicted to liquor and cigarettes. They both sneak up on you. And I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that we have a gene that predisposes one to these kinds of addictions. But pills make you feel awful. I suppose that's what I don't understand.
marantzo
Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Some people do have addictive personalities. Of the people I've known who have been addicted at one time or other, they were addicted to specific drugs or activities or routines etc., but not to others. Some people seem to get addictive to a wide spectrum of things. One person I know was a big drinker who got addicted to free basing, the early form of cooking up your own crack, and lost his desire for liquor. Never liked grass or any other drug, but loved cocaine. When his habit started destroying his body he quit. No withdrawal symptoms, he just quit and he had a long steady habit.

Additions can be quite difference from person to person.
Marj
Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I know you're right, Gary. Each person reacts to addictive substances differently. I give anyone who has ever been addicted and quit, so much credit. And that's to anything.
marantzo
Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
My friend that I mentioned about his addiction and his quitting also was charged with a drug offence way back when. Being wealthy, he purchased coke in bulk and cooked it down to free base, so when he was busted they charged him with trafficking because of the amount that he had, which was ridiculous because he had all the money he needed. His lawyer advised him to enter rehab as it would be a plus for his trial. He went down to Minneapolis and the Hazelden rehab center. In the taxi from the airport he told the driver to take him to Hazelden. The driver misunderstood and took him to Hazetine (in the complete opposite direction), which was the exclusive Hazeltine Golf and Country Club, host of the U.S. Open on a few of occasions.
They went through the gate and my friend saw the golf course as they pulled up to the clubhouse. He was thrilled. What a great rehab centre this was. Then he saw the name of the place over the door of the clubhouse and his dream was shattered.

When he was at the real Hazelden centre he would attend the mandatory group sessions where everything about addiction was discussed. He kept contradicting the Hazelden official's pronouncements. He would dispute their claim that the only way to beat addiction was to do this and this and this etc. He would say that if you wanted to beat your addiction, you just have to make up your mind that you are going to quit and you quit. Which happened to be exactly what he did a year or two later. After one of the meetings the director took him aside and told him that he could keep coming to the meeting but he couldn't say anything. Laughing

He didn't go to any more meeting. Back in Winnipeg he got a conditional sentence and eventually it was discharged

Another friend of mine went to Hazelden in California, at the same time Elizabeth Taylor was there. He thought she was very nice.
Marj
Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Good story, Gary.
Marc
Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Marj,

I love Vicodin. If you want to unload yours, I'll be glad to take it off your hands.

I have pretty much whittled my drug intake to the occasional painkiller for fun and my daily dose of Zinfandel.
Marj
Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Marj,

I love Vicodin. If you want to unload yours, I'll be glad to take it off your hands.

I have pretty much whittled my drug intake to the occasional painkiller for fun and my daily dose of Zinfandel.

Let's see what happens after my surgery. OK?
Befade
Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Marj.........I've been watching the first season on dvd. The extras have the 2 women writers (creators?) talking about Jackie's addiction. They admit to being in recovery themselves and say that they did not want the beginning of this series to be about Jackie dealing with her addiction. They wanted to show the appeal of what she is addicted to. period. The drugs she takes give her the ability to be a good nurse, good mother, good wife, good girlfriend......all of it. Without the drugs she'd be alot less functional......They said.