Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  It's Not TV -- It's HBO!

Ghulam
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Post Six Feet Under and Sopranos, the best thing on TV has to be Big Love.
Melody
Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
I like Big Love, but it still makes me a tad uncomfortable sometimes. And I confess there are things I don't understand, like why Bill is afraid of being caught by the State Police at the compound. And wasn't the young girl already "married" to Roman last season?

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quote
John From Cincinnati is a pretty sly look at magical realism deep in the SoCal surfer culture, from the creators & writers of Deadwood and featuring several Deadwood actors.

I'm digging it. A lot. Especially Rebecca De Mornay, who I've never much cared for, but who's rocking the place as the family matriarch Cissy.

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:05 am Reply with quote
I don't know the answers to the questions about Big Love, but I agree with you on The Man from Cincinnati.
billyweeds
Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:40 am Reply with quote
Just catching up on John from Cincinnati, which is intriguingly elliptical but not particularly riveting as drama. Absolutely adore the theme song, though, which is called "Johnny Appleseed," and the surfing footage. The characters are almost all unlikeable, which is a problem for me.
mo_flixx
Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quote
I'd appreciate any ideas of series I can rent on DVD for summer viewing. Ones I'm thinking of renting are "The Wire" and "The Shield." Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Melody
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote
Rescue Me would be an excellent summer rental. In fact, I just finished watching the third season of RM on DVD. I'm in lust with Denis Leary.

For something completely cocksuckingly & wonderfully different, try Deadwood.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:09 am Reply with quote
I need to see Deadwood.

Rescue Me is, for me, only okay. I like it, but Leary enjoys the "I'm a working man, regular guy" shit a bit too much. He's getting off on himself. Fine for him, but do I want to watch him do it?

-Topher
jeremy
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:48 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I don't think I'm in 'lust' with anyone on TV at the moment...except perhaps Doctor Who's new assistant...oh and the policewoman from Life On Mars, but only if she keeps her uniform on.

I have a soft spot for Cuddy of course...well when I say soft...I'd also like to see House get laid...well when I say see I mean I'd like it to happen not that I'd want to watch it...unless it involved...

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
ehle64
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:00 am Reply with quote
Cuddy is HOTT.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:15 am Reply with quote
I rented the first seasons of both "The Wire" and "The Shield." So far, "The Shield" gets the edge with its better character development.

I'm looking forward to what will happen with Chiklis, his neglected family, the ambitious Hispanic Chief of Police, the female officer and her partner with a dark secret, and CCH Pounder and her bumbling partner.

So far, "The Wire" hasn't engaged me. The storyline about drug pushers in the Baltimore projects seems pretty one dimensional.
unohoo
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:23 am Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
billyweeds wrote:
The Wire has never grabbed me at all. Way too convoluted.
It is convoluted. I had to commit to watching it twice every week. I always enjoyed the second viewing more. It was the best TV time I ever spent.
The last season, set in the Baltimore school system, shows us where all the bad guys we had been watching for years, came from. It is heart-wrenching, uplifting, and powerful. The main writer - I forget his name - had spent years as a Baltimore cop, and then a high school teacher.

I love The Wire myself. It has some of the same elements of The Sopranos, in that it looks at the moral dilemmas that these characters face when going about their business. But it's an equal opportunity employer; the show casts an eye on both sides of the law: the criminals, the cops, the politicians, the preachers. Then as yambu pointed out, the last season had it look at the neighborhood school system. It's a great series that doesn't get its due.

On another note, something about Big Love bothers me. It's existence brought to light the fact that as average as Bill Paxton is, he seems to always get work. Plus, what they do to Chloe Sevigny (or however you spell it) is just criminal. No way a woman that hot should be looking so homely.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:24 am Reply with quote
The Shield is indeed one of the finest series ever.
ehle64
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:36 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
The Shield is indeed one of the finest series ever.

what a major wanker

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quote
I take it you don't care for The Shield.