Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  It's Not TV -- It's HBO!

billyweeds
Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Melody wrote:
I came in 12 minutes late on Sunday night's Sopranos and was shocked to see Christofuh dead behind the wheel. I watched the rest of the episode with the thought banging around in my head -- did Tony kill him?

I saw the first 12 minutes last night. Question answered.

But that got me to thinking: Would the episode have been better served NOT answering that question? How much more subtle and nebulous would Tony's actions and facial expressions have been (and were, to me, the first time) if the viewer hadn't known what happened?

Just a what-if question the editor in me is asking.

The editor in you asks a reasonable question, but not one that would get you on the staff of The Sopranos. Ambguity of this sort has never been a hallmark of the show.

Hitchcock's Vertigo answered much the same questio in much the same way and had a lot of folks second-guessing him Melody-style, but to keep audiences in the dark about is-she-or-isn't-she would have resulted in a far different movie, and--one suspects--a far more superficial one.
billyweeds
Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote
There was also something amazing about seeing Tony's mind work at the moment he made the decision--much more interesting IMO than it would have been to guess whether he did it or not.

Also IMO, Tony did the right thing under the circumstances--and Chris's murder of the director the previous week did a lot to soften the blow of Chris's death. We had just seen full-on how psycho Chris could get, and therefore it wasn't such a loss. Smart planning by David Chase and company, I think. These episodes are among the best in the entire Sopranos canon.
Melody
Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Ambguity of this sort has never been a hallmark of the show.

Maybe, but when they're looking to surprise you, they go for broke, specifically in the Pine Barrens and Tony's coma episodes.

I'm glad I got to experience Chris' demise the way I did initially. It's made me appreciate on a deeper level the thought and care that goes into the writing.

Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:11 am Reply with quote
Melody wrote:
billyweeds wrote:
Ambguity of this sort has never been a hallmark of the show.

Maybe, but when they're looking to surprise you, they go for broke, specifically in the Pine Barrens and Tony's coma episodes.

I'm glad I got to experience Chris' demise the way I did initially. It's made me appreciate on a deeper level the thought and care that goes into the writing.

Melody,

I couldn't agree more. I have had to stay away from this forum since I've been behind with the Sopranos. But the thought process that Tony took in killing Chris was superb. Still I think last week's episode was perhaps the most heart wrenching one I've seen in some time. And I loved the discussion between Dr. Malfi and her shrink about treating sociopaths. Too bad Peter Bogdanovich is such a poor actor. Still one of my favorite episodes, by far.

I Know I say that a lot regarding The Sopranos but I was sincerely moved. And what a roller coaster of a show! If one had never seen the Sopranos this was the episode to watch.

Btw, due to some problems with my HBO, I received a free month of Showtime. This means I can watch The Tudors! At least for the next month.

Billy, is Dexter worth my while? I think you know my taste. And as of now, I only have a month,
billyweeds
Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:40 am Reply with quote
Marj--First of all, Dexter is an amazing show--a fascinating (albeit very grisly) examination of a one-of-a-kind serial killer (one whom you love), and a marvelous performance by Michael C. Hall. It's must viewing.

Second, I agree with you about the most recent Sopranos. We sat here crying our eyes out when Tony jumped into the pool--and at the last shot in the hospital.

And, lastly, you're so right about Bogdanovich. Bracco has a row to hoe there.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:42 am Reply with quote
One of the most striking things about the current Sopranos series is what a good actor Robert Iler has become. Who would have thought it?
Marj
Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Billy,

Thanks for your recommendations re: Showtime. I have a feeing I may just have to subscribe again. I dropped it because my Time Warner bill was through the roof!

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one crying when AJ jumped into the pool. But it was the short scene when Tony and AJ were together after Tony got him out that had me on the floor! And of course that final scene at the hospital. Subtle but so powerful.

And you are so right about Robert Iler. He is so good!

Bracco certainly does have a roe to hoe. She was wonderful reacting to Bogdanovich though. Fortunately he isn't in the show too often.
marantzo
Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Marj, Bracco shouldn't have too much trouble hoeing a bunch of fish eggs.
Marj
Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Billy,

You are once again spot on! I saw one episode of The Tudors and Dexter. And both have become, after only one viewing, must see TV for me.

I absolutely love the entire concept of Dexter. What a hoot, though a chuckling one as opposed to LOL. I found by reading the credits that it was taken from a book called "Darkly Dreaming." And the mind who created this character is perverse and ... I love him!

And I love the twist on Henry VIII. Of course I'm a fan of period pieces anyway and this appears to be well researched. To say nothing of the fact that anything Jeremy Northram is in I must see. It's really that simple!

So, it appears my Time Warner bill is going to go up again. But I'm almost giddy over it. It's so worth it!
Marj
Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Was The Sopranos on tonight?

I confess I am obsessed, do you hear me ...obsessed with The Tudors and completely forgot to check it out.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:40 am Reply with quote
The Sopranos was not on last night. All of the premium channels put their usual shows on hold or on repeat last night. Was Dexter on? I was under the impression that they also bagged last night.
Marj
Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Billy,

I don't know. I was watching The Tudors On Demand. Then I plan on catching up with Dexter. I love marathon viewing.
Marj
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I've finished my marathon of The Tudors. Even though I know there is still one show left, I am in real grieving mode.

True, one needs to have an inclination for historical series but as they go, this is by far the best I've ever seen. It is spectacular!!!
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Anybody watch The Sopranos last night? If so...or even if not...if you're planning to watch...

SPOILERS FOR THE SOPRANOS IN WHITE

Does anyone agree with me that Melfi terminated Tony far too precipitously? In real life, a therapist wouldn't act that way. It's a writer's conceit. They want to terminate the series, so the therapy is brusquely terminated. Something rings false to me. Good scene, though. Gandolifini and Bracco did well.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Check Heather Havrilesly's response on Salon.

http://www.salon.com/ent/tv/review/2007/06/04/sopranos/

I'm reading all the reviews and the spoilers because I don't have cable (heck, I don't have television), and I can't wait to find out how it ends.

-Topher