Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  It's Not TV -- It's HBO!

ehle64
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:55 am Reply with quote
Talk about being late to the party, OMG, we just started The Sopranos. I am devouring every episode with utter glee. I think after the second eppy I got freaked out by the homophobia, it turned me straight off. So glad my man made me watchy. Shit is Brill.

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Wade -- I'm so glad you're loving it. It's really a great series. And as they say, "Better late than never." Right?
Earl
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
Earl,

I hadn't heard that but it made me laugh. And I too loved Serkis. He was the perfect menace.

Here's some of the background I found on Lady Elisabeth Longford:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Longford

Fascinating stuff in that link. Thanks.

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Wade, I'm a little surprised that you were turned off by the homophobia when you first looked at The Sopranos. It's not like these guys are the most evolved example of humanity. It was an honest portrayal of how most people who live in that culture think.
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Catching up tonight on the Showtime series Dexter, about a complex serial killer played by Six Feet Under alum Michael C. Hall. This is one of the most bizarrely enjoyable shows I've seen in quite a while.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:54 am Reply with quote
The Tudors is pretty cool. So is Gene Simmons Family Jewels. Love his family and his hip take on Father Knows Best. His son and daughter manage to be engagingly bratty and very respectful at the same time. Unique.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:53 am Reply with quote
Dexter rocks. The Tudors is lavishly and expensively told, but doesn't quite rock. IMO.

The Sopranos delivered for a second time. It's back to its roots--and thank goodness.
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
The Sopranos delivered for a second time. It's back to its roots--and thank goodness.

Admiting that I rarely watched any episodes of The Sopranos, I decided that since we now have HBO at home, that I would watch the last 9 episodes.

I'm glued to this show. Now I ask why I didn't at least rent the DVDs of previous seasons or even watch here and there when I had HBO (like at a hotel or a friends house).

Last night's episode was good... very good. Corrado and his lock-down antics were priceless... including his card games and interaction with the younger inmate.

Every Monday night (for the replay), I'll be there watching.... 6 more episodes.

billyweeds
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:
billyweeds wrote:

Admiting that I rarely watched any episodes of The Sopranos, I decided that since we now have HBO at home, that I would watch the last 9 episodes.

I'm glued to this show. Now I ask why I didn't at least rent the DVDs of previous seasons or even watch here and there when I had HBO (like at a hotel or a friends house).

Last night's episode was good... very good. Corrado and his lock-down antics were priceless... including his card games and interaction with the younger inmate.

Every Monday night (for the replay), I'll be there watching.... 6 more episodes.

The Sopranos was and once again is the finest television series ever. Ever. Ever.
Melody
Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Hey, youse guys seen the 7-Minute Sopranos video on YouTube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz_Ees_-kE4

Don't you watch it if you're not caught up cuz you will be spoiled, I tell ya. I'm talkin' to YOU, Mr. Ehle.

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Tony's James Brown comment absolutely slayed me. I'm still laughing over that one. The guy has still got it.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
billyweeds
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
daffy wrote:
Tony's James Brown comment absolutely slayed me. I'm still laughing over that one. The guy has still got it.

You're gonna have to explain this one further.
daffy
Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:40 am Reply with quote
Sopranos Spoiler: He said it after Christopher's mother collapsed in front of the coffin: "...[She's] fuckin' James Brown, now."

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
Melody
Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I came in 12 minutes late on Sunday night's Sopranos and was shocked to see Christofuh dead behind the wheel. I watched the rest of the episode with the thought banging around in my head -- did Tony kill him?

I saw the first 12 minutes last night. Question answered.

But that got me to thinking: Would the episode have been better served NOT answering that question? How much more subtle and nebulous would Tony's actions and facial expressions have been (and were, to me, the first time) if the viewer hadn't known what happened?

Just a what-if question the editor in me is asking.

Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:45 am Reply with quote
It's pretty much impossible to not be spoiled about the demise of Christofuh, but, we just finished watching the eppy in the first season where Tony goes t'ru da whole father ting. Just Genius.