Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Election 2008

bocce
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
i don't know why people are making such fodder of this. she's not RUNNING for office but, rather, asking to be considered for appointment. i don't know of many appointed offices where financial disclosure is required...

now, if or when she decides to actually RUN, then it would be impingent upon her to make such records public. this is a tempest in a teapot designed by people who just want to know how much money she's got when they should actually be more concerned about her qualifications (or lack thereof)...
yambu
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
I doubt that Rick Warren will ever be anything but homophobic--as far as he's concerned, it's In The Bible. But he's got to shut up about it while he's in the Obama spotlight. (I really wonder sometimes about these people who are anti-homosexual because of the Bible. Have they actually read all those prohibitions in Leviticus? Are they aware that Jesus never mentioned homosexuals, though he did criticize adultery and divorce? Somehow that never comes up these days, though it was enough of a hassle when my parents divorced to make my dad switch from Southern Baptist to Methodist.)
All good points. With Scripture no longer my guide, life has been so much clearer for me. And fuck those who would make it otherwise.
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quote
bocce wrote:
i don't know why people are making such fodder of this. she's not RUNNING for office but, rather, asking to be considered for appointment. i don't know of many appointed offices where financial disclosure is required...

now, if or when she decides to actually RUN, then it would be impingent upon her to make such records public. this is a tempest in a teapot designed by people who just want to know how much money she's got when they should actually be more concerned about her qualifications (or lack thereof)...

IMO disclosure is very important because it could influence her votes on certain issues. Former Sec'y. of Defense (a Clinton appointee) Wm. Perry _had_ to disclose and lost a great deal of his fortune in order to satisfy Congress.
I do believe that disclosure is required for appointment to the Supreme Court. We've lost some potential appointees because of problems having to do with the hiring of illegal aliens or not paying social security taxes to hired help.
If disclosure isn't required, it _should_ be. Kennedy's assets could be put in a blind trust so that she is not able to cast votes in a way to provide direct financial gain to herself.
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Nice to get this "personal" email from Michelle Obama. And good to see that her heart is in the right place. Now at last I have an address where to send my thoughts on the invocation by Rick Warren at the Inauguration!
-------------------------------
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 12:50:26 -0500
Subject: Happy holidays

Happy holidays
This holiday season, the grassroots movement you helped build can make a big difference for those in need.

I hope you will join me in supporting your favorite charity or contributing to causes that are especially meaningful to me and my family.

While many of us will spend the holidays counting our blessings and sharing dinner with loved ones, millions of people around the country won't be so fortunate. Donating to your local food bank will help provide a holiday meal to people in your community who can't afford one.

Talking with the families of deployed troops was one of the most rewarding experiences I had during the campaign. Giving to Operation USO Care Package is a great way to send members of our military stationed around the world a reminder that someone back home is thinking of them.

This is a time to celebrate our blessings, the new year, and a new era for our country. But it's also a time to come together on behalf of those who need our help.

Do what you can to help today by locating your local food bank and giving your support:

http://my.barackobama.com/foodbanks

Or send a care package to an American in uniform:

http://my.barackobama.com/carepackage

Thank you for all that you do and have a very happy holiday season,

Michelle
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
bocce wrote:

IMO disclosure is very important because it could influence her votes on certain issues. Former Sec'y. of Defense (a Clinton appointee) Wm. Perry _had_ to disclose and lost a great deal of his fortune in order to satisfy Congress.
I do believe that disclosure is required for appointment to the Supreme Court. We've lost some potential appointees because of problems having to do with the hiring of illegal aliens or not paying social security taxes to hired help.
If disclosure isn't required, it _should_ be. Kennedy's assets could be put in a blind trust so that she is not able to cast votes in a way to provide direct financial gain to herself.

I admire your objectivity on this.

-Topher
lady wakasa
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
B. Obama is apparently going to be sworn in using the bible Lincoln used (which isn't actually the Lincoln family bible; apparently that wasn't available when he was sworn in).

He's doing a LOT of Lincolnesque stuff.

Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Read about that. Don't know what I think. On the one hand: great objective. On the other hand: you can't manufacture historical presidencies.

-Topher
yambu
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
TV's West Wing had a good episode where Sheen, being sworn in, wanted to use some hgeirloom bible or other. Can't remember the rest. Anyone?
yambu
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
Read about that. Don't know what I think. On the one hand: great objective. On the other hand: you can't manufacture historical presidencies.
Joe, you'd make a lousy British subject. Inauguration Day is a national celebration. It's all about symbolism, from trhe ride up Pennsylvania with the outgoing President, to the swearing in at the Capitol by the Chief Justice - thus uniting the three branches of government - to all the White House balls. Using Lincoln's Bible is a great touch, and no doubt an omen for one of our members here Smile .
carrobin
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
No matter what Bible Obama uses, there are some people who are going to be convinced it's a Koran.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
Joe Vitus wrote:
Joe, you'd make a lousy British subject.

It's a terrific compliment, of course. Smile

But I hasten to add I was responding to the entirety of Lady's post, the various Lincolnesque touches, not just the Bible on Inauguration Day.

Last edited by Joe Vitus on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

-Topher
lady wakasa
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
yambu wrote:
Using Lincoln's Bible is a great touch, and no doubt an omen for one of our members here Smile .

LOL %^D

carrobin wrote:
No matter what Bible Obama uses, there are some people who are going to be convinced it's a Koran.

I say we make it - Lincoln's Koran!

I'm actually not sure how I feel about all the Lincoln references (my take is that he should make his own gestures), but I'm willing to let the guy get into office and actually do something before making my mind up.

Syd
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12895 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
carrobin wrote:

As long as it's Thomas Jefferson's copy.

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
lady wakasa wrote:

I say we make it - Lincoln's Koran!

LOL!

lady wakasa wrote:
my take is that he should make his own gestures

here, here

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:

I don't see any evidence that he's trying to do that. He is our very first black president, and Lincoln was the anti-slavery president. It all seems exactly right.