Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Exactly.

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I was going to write Obama-care but I thought Medicare was better and forgot that it was what the 65 and older had as health insurance.

Well the Obamacare is so flawed that I wouldn't be surprised if half the population weren't in favour of it. Hilary's health care plan was very similar and also not too good. But i still think it's better than what you have, but (again), it might not be. Smile
carrobin
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Almost anything that reduces the power of the insurance companies would be better than what we've got now. For-profit healthcare is a bad idea, and getting worse as prices rise; if something isn't done to rein in that inflation, it could overwhelm the nation's financial system. Of course the Republicans are ideologically incapable of admitting that Obamacare can lower costs, so they cling ferociously to the status quo.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Obamacare includes the insurance companies and those wonderful companies have risen their prices since the "Obamacare" was passed.
carrobin
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Not only are insurance companies bumping up prices, but businesses are using Obamacare as an excuse to cut employees' hours (or simply fire employees) because they "can't afford" the required subsidies. I find it hard to believe that all these companies are so close to failure that they can't support the cost.
bartist
Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:21 am Reply with quote
The Repub view is built on their old meme that private sector anything means lower costs. "Free" market = competition = better deals. But getting healthcare when and where you need it isn't like going out and buying those hypothetical "widgets." In reality, France has national healthcare and per capita cost is HALF what ours is. Some things just work better socialized. (either that, or it's all the good wine) Repubs can fume and rant all they want, and cling to their Purity Position, but that's just the way it is.

Yeah, Kristol was a jerk on ABC Roundtable. Noticed how he would keep cutting people off and interrupting, whereas Krugman listens carefully before responding. Stark contrast. Did Krug Man lose some weight this summer? I think he's ready for his leotard and top with the big "K" on it.

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:41 am Reply with quote
Krugman did indeed lose some weight, as he mentioned on his blog.

I don't know how the Republicans can continue to claim that free-market, for-profit healthcare is better than government-backed healthcare, considering that the USA has far higher medical costs than do nations with nationalized care, with some of the worst results. (The NY Times just ran an article about the cost of having a baby in the USA--incredible.) And yet you still hear some of them saying that American healthcare is "the best in the world" and bragging that rich people come to the USA for treatment. We do have some excellent medical institutions, but also some crummy ones. And even the richest foreigners may soon find the costs too high.
bartist
Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:44 am Reply with quote
The Panda Cam has gone dark. The Republic is falling!

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:07 am Reply with quote
And the WWII memorial in Washington is closed, which didn't stop a group of 91 veterans from surging through the barricades yesterday. Giving the Daily News another good cover (after yesterday's "House of Turds" headline), with photos of Boehner and Cruz by the headline "What did YOU do for our country?"
marantzo
Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:26 am Reply with quote
The Republicans continue to fuck themselves up. Catering to those idiotic Tea Partiers and ignoring who used to be their base, the free market and Wall Street types. I just heard a number of commentators from both sides and in between, saying and writing that the Republican's base (the business men) are totally furious with what the Reps have done. Of course it costs them lots of money.

How stupid can they get? They were shooting themselves in the foot and now they are shooting themselves in the head!
carrobin
Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote
I keep reading/hearing that Boehner can resolve the crisis simply by calling for a vote in the House, because most of the Republican Representatives aren't happy with this situation and would agree to end the shutdown. But he won't, because he's afraid of the Tea Party backlash. (So he expects to keep his job after this?)
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote
I have no sympathy for Boehner's situation. He could be a true American hero if he would just do the right thing, and make no mistake, he knows what the right thing is. But he's running scared and looks like a real idiot.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote
The western democratic countries are baffled by the USA government shutdown. None of them, including Canada, ever do that. Laughing
whiskeypriest
Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
One good thing about the shutdown: through our contingency planning I have learned that the State of Arizona considers me "essential."

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
One good thing about the shutdown: through our contingency planning I have learned that the State of Arizona considers me "essential."

Very impressive--few of us could claim that stature (though some of us might think we should)!