Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

marantzo
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Which book? B8, RC or TYL?

How about Mitzi Gaynor. I always liked her and she's still around. Married for 52 year until her husband's death.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I like her, too. I seem to be the only one glad she was cast in the movie of South Pacific.

-Topher
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote
The Young Lions.

-Topher
Shane
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Just caught her in Jane Eyre the other day. Nice role, bit young.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Syd wrote:
carrobin wrote:
When I caught part of the news coverage of her death, it occurred to me that I'd forgotten one fifties star who is definitely still around--Debbie Reynolds. (How could I have missed that?)

Shirley Jones, Leslie Caron and Sophia Loren, although I think of Loren as more of a 60's star. As someone mentioned, Doris Day is still around. She'll be 89 on April 3.
Olivia de Haviland and Joan Fontaine are also both alive. And desperately trying to outlive each other, just for spite.

Sophia Loren, on a world-wide basis, is really the only person mentioned here with the level of fame that Taylor had. Well, Shirley Temple maybe.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Heh. From imdb:

"I married first, won the Oscar before Olivia did, and if I die first, she'll undoubtedly be livid because I beat her to it!"

- Joan Fontaine

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
Syd wrote:
carrobin wrote:
When I caught part of the news coverage of her death, it occurred to me that I'd forgotten one fifties star who is definitely still around--Debbie Reynolds. (How could I have missed that?)

Shirley Jones, Leslie Caron and Sophia Loren, although I think of Loren as more of a 60's star. As someone mentioned, Doris Day is still around. She'll be 89 on April 3.
Olivia de Haviland and Joan Fontaine are also both alive. And desperately trying to outlive each other, just for spite.

Sophia Loren, on a world-wide basis, is really the only person mentioned here with the level of fame that Taylor had. Well, Shirley Temple maybe.

Doris Day was at least as big a star as Loren. And Mickey Rooney was at one time hands down the biggest movie star in the world.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Doris Day was at least as big a star as Loren.

And she starred in better movies.

-Topher
whiskeypriest
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
whiskeypriest wrote:
Syd wrote:
carrobin wrote:

Doris Day was at least as big a star as Loren. And Mickey Rooney was at one time hands down the biggest movie star in the world.
"Was." Indeed.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:48 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
billyweeds wrote:
whiskeypriest wrote:
Syd wrote:
carrobin wrote:

"Was." Indeed.

And your point is...? Most of these stars could be called "has-beens" if you want to be petty about it.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote

An interesting sidelight to the Elizabeth Taylor obit in the Times is that it was written by Mel Gussow, who died several years ago himself.
gromit
Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:44 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
billyweeds wrote:

Perhaps overall, but I doubt Doris Day was in any film nearly as good as Two Women.

Doris Day was a huge star, with a big singing career as well. Her version of Sentimental Journey with Les Brown (& his Band of Renown) from 1945 is the best one out there and a stone classic.

Sophia did have a little singing success as well:
Quote:
She performed two duets with Peter Sellers which were major hits in the UK pop chart. 'Goodness Gracious Me' was released in 1960 and reached four and 'Bangers and Mash' made it to the top 20 in 1961.

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:35 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
whiskeypriest wrote:
billyweeds wrote:
whiskeypriest wrote:
Syd wrote:
carrobin wrote:

"Was." Indeed.

And your point is...? Most of these stars could be called "has-beens" if you want to be petty about it.
That some stars continue to shine after they are no longer top box office draws. Doris Day was the top box office star in the 1960's, but her death will no draw anything like the attention Taylor's did. Worldwide, Loren's death might approach it. Day may have been a biggermovie star in the 1960's, but Loren is now, even if they are no longer making movies.

Interesting trivia question: Loren and Taylor were in a movie together. Which was...?

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:47 am Reply with quote
Wasn't Doris Day huge in the 50's?

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:01 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
billyweeds wrote:

Only if you consider the movies that Loren made in the states. Something like Penelope Cruz who's American made films were mostly just bad, but the ones overseas were mostly top notch.

To quote Oscar Levant, "I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin."

When I was very young and at our cottage at the beach, where all our dishes and furniture etc. were old things from our house in the city, I was having breakfast and my cup had a picture of a young curly headed girl on it. I asked my mother who it was and she said, "Shirley Temple". I asked her who that was and she told me that she was a very big star in movies some years ago. I asked my mother if she liked her and she replied, "I couldn't stand her." Shocked I saw some of her movies on TV years later and I couldn't stand her either.

Last edited by marantzo on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total