Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

bartist
Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:38 am Reply with quote
"Like Someone in Love" is the latest film from Kiarostami. Set in Japan, it opens with a tavern scene in which the person talking is not in the frame, so we are slowly introduced to the call girl who is the central character, gradually accumulating hints from one side of her phone conversation, and interruptions from others who approach. This sets the tone for the film, which takes its time, gradually revealing a situation and subverting conventional plot expectations that this might be about the hooker with the heart of gold who is "saved" by a lonely old scholar. The process is done with such mastery and such exquisite photography (mostly in confined spaces - a taxi, a small apartment, the professor's Volvo) and such a confidence in the power of the film medium to show without telling, that I'm going out on a limb and declare this the best foreign film of 2013. And maybe just the best film, period.

My film companion and I were rendered speechless for some time after leaving the theater and both of us agreed that the emotional impact of the film would grow during the coming days, rather than fade away. I will contemplate for a long time what I've been shown about the things people hide from each other and themselves....and the mystery of the ending, if there is one.

The film is now on a limited run in arthouses and independent theaters in the U.S. I urge you to find one and see it on the big screen - there is a taxi ride through Tokyo that is one of the most extraordinary and immersive experiences I've ever had in a theater. Moments which, if I were to describe them might sound rather sedate and lacking in much interest or forward momentum, draw you in and obliterate any possible distance between the viewer and the characters.

"Like Someone in Love" is a masterpiece.

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Perks of Being a Wallflower didn't hold together for me.
I wanted to like it, but it seemed so stereotypical in its portrayals, and rather phony. Then there were odd things like one high school kid gets another a suit for Xmas and then the recipient wears the suit to school everyday. Huh? I realize this is Overprivileged World, and the suit-wearer is supposed to be socially inept, but c'mon now ...
And the letter writing conceit was underdeveloped, and felt like it was something that came from the book and didn't work in the film.

I also didn't care for the editing.
It seemed to cut away any time the camera attempted any interesting movement. It was as if they shot the film in a semi-arty manner and then edited it to be as mainstream as possible.

Otherwise I got a sort of subdued Donnie Darko vibe from the lead character. Also Running with Scissors, though that's staying a bit vague in my memory. It's not a bad film and means well, but it felt mostly formulaic to me.

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
"Perks" seems to be a Couch review. I was also tepid about it. Even if I'm the wrong demog, you can make a film with decent writing and editing. Cranking out this kind of product for the teens is like developing their palates by having every dinner at home consist of chicken nuggets.

Evil Dead looks to be disappointing - one crit I saw used the term "gore-for-broke" and noted the absence of Bruce Campbell style mugging. Roeper donned cleats and did jumping jacks on it.

Trance sounds interesting, Danny Boyle's latest, but it ain't here in stixville for a month. Limited release tomorrow, you big city slickers.

Like Someone in Love: see. this. movie.

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:46 am Reply with quote
The Sapphires is an absolute delight. Telling the largely true story of four young Aborigine women who form a singing group and entertain the troops in Vietnam, it manages to be pure entertainment yet with a profound and touching vibe that transcends the material. The style is natural (a little sloppy, perhaps, but no matter), the mostly R&B music (much of it obscure) is beautifully performed without ever being slick, and the acting is wonderful--led by the indescribable Chris O'Dowd (of Bridesmaids) as a drunken musician and failed d.j. who discovers, nurtures, and manages the quartet. O'Dowd is a real star--a guy with superb comic timing that never becomes shticky or overthought. He's a man's man, a woman's man, and a man for all seasons. I totally love this dude. All four of the women are excellent. This is by far my favorite film of 2013 to date.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:13 am Reply with quote
The Company You Keep is Robert Redford's new film about a former member of the Weather Underground being hunted down after a fellow dissident gives herself up. Featuring an all-star cast including the likes of Julie Christie, Nick Nolte, and Susan Satandon, it's worthwhile but a little dull and bland, with some very good scenes along the way. Shia LaBoeuf plays a reporter who finds his scoop with the Redford story, and he's somewhat reminiscent of Dustin Hoffman in All the President's Men, which is an interesting sidelight. The best performances IMO are by Brendan Gleeson and Brit Marley. Anna Kendrick, an actor I like a lot, is pretty much wasted.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
First, a disclaimer to my review of The Sapphires, in which I called it my favorite film of 2013 by far. Not true. I liked Side Effects every bit as much or more. How soon we forget.

But now a film has come along which really is the best so far. Disconnect is an instant classic and the finest movie yet about the internet and the way it affects our lives. It's a horror story of sorts, with three overlapping stories telling terrifying tales about things that can happen in the cyber age. A great cast including Jason Bateman, Hope Davis, and many other less well-known but equally astute actors (notably Frank Grillo and Alexander Skarsgard) are directed brilliantly in his fiction film debut by documentarian Henry Alex Rubin (Murderball), and the result is a movie that will be talked about for years.

Don't want to discuss the story details because you should experience it clean. Just plunge in. You won't be sorry.

I'm noticing that some early reviews of the movie are bashing it for being unsubtle. This is true, but despite a few melodramatic excesses, the film has a cumulative power which leaves the audience shaken and moved. Far from complaining, I can scarcely wait to see Disconnect again.
bartist
Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Bill, those 3 reviews are helpful to me - though all limited release, they will eventually make their way to the indie theater here. Sapphire and Disconnect are both ones I want to see. Year so far, I'd say Side Effects and Like Someone in Love are my faves.

I'm sort of on the fence about "Trance," which some critics have pummeled mercilessly - Anthony Lane, who generally likes Danny Boyle, made it sound like a chaotic mess whose characters just don't connect.

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:00 am Reply with quote
Roeper, who reviews Disconnect on Roger Ebert's website, says what I like to think Roger himself would have said. In any case, I agree with every last nanosyllable of the Roeper review. May there be many more as on-the-money as this one.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/disconnect-2013

"You should see this movie. Please." - Richard Roeper
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:57 am Reply with quote
Once in a blue moon, the outrageously incompetent Rex Reed comes up with a funny comment. Here's one:

"(To the Wonder) makes The Tree of Life seem like an action thriller with Bruce Willis."
bartist
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:12 am Reply with quote
Went to Roeper and Ebert's page this morning, teared up a bit reading Roger's review of "To the Wonder," knowing that it was his last one. (the tagline said it was the last one he filed...)

Roeper on "Disconnect" does have me champing at the bit. And, though I understand it may be an unexceptional biopic, I'm wanting to check out "42" just to see the usually benign and charming Alan Tudyk turn into a bigot spewing racist vitriol.

Anyone seen "On the Road" yet? It's at the arthouse here and I'm unsure if I want to spend the bread, daddio. I mean, Kristen Stewart as a Beat chick?

Last edited by bartist on Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:35 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12895 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
His review of To The Wonder is the last one published. There might still be a couple to come.

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:48 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
I mean, Kristen Stewart as a Beat chick?

Kristen Stewart as anything is fast becoming a Must To Avoid for me.
Marc
Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:18 am Reply with quote
Malick's TO THE WONDER is like watching a feminine hygiene commercial on ludes.
Enough already, Terence! Make a goddamned movie with a fucking story!
billyweeds
Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:56 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Malick's TO THE WONDER is like watching a feminine hygiene commercial on ludes.
Enough already, Terence! Make a goddamned movie with a fucking story!

Sorry to break this news to you, but he hasn't done that since Badlands. Days of Heaven was breathtakingly beautiful to look at but dramatically nowhere. The New World was BBTLA as well but dramatically semi-inert. And The Thin Red Line (I realize this is arguable by some but not by me and Gary) was simply unspeakable--and not even that great to look at. As for The Tree of Life, it's juszzzzzzzzzz.

Will never ever ever ever see To the Wonder.
Marc
Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:42 am Reply with quote
"The Place Beyond The Pines" is the best American film since "Margaret". A stunner. I'm blown away.