Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

Ghulam
Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:51 am Reply with quote
Did anyone else watch the PBS American Masters program on Eugene Oneill? I thought it was excellent. Lots of photographs of the playwright, his parents; wives etc, shedding a lot of light on the family dynamics and his depressive personality. Also had readings or enactments of The Iceman Cometh and The Long Day's Journey into Night by Al Pacino, Christopher Plummer, Vanessa Redgrave and others. Commentary was by, among others, Tony Kushner, Jason Robards and a couple of his biographers. Thoroughly engrossing two hours.
Earl
Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to the PBS Mystery tonight featuring Inspector Lewis. It'll be interesting to see if they can return to the Oxford setting and still be successful without the delicious interplay between Kevin Whately as Lewis and the late John Thaw as Inspector Morse.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:36 am Reply with quote
Really wish I had read this earlier. Any chance you taped it?

-Topher
Earl
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I didn't, but there is a chance my mother did. I saw her on Sunday and we discussed the show because she was also a fan of the "Inspector Morse" mysteries, so I know she planned on either watching or taping it. I'll let you know.

By the way, I enjoyed the episode last night. They've made Lewis a widower which has left him a bit more cynical than we last saw him. In the workplace he's been paired with a younger partner. We'll see if it has the legs to last as a series.

Oh, and how could I have gotten the PBS show's name wrong yesterday? It's Mystery!. I forgot the exclamation point. Diana Rigg would scold me. I miss her doing the intros.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what's going on with "Mystery" in NM. Miss Marple was on last Sunday.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:16 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Earl.

-Topher
carrobin
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:20 am Reply with quote
Different PBS stations show different shows on Mystery!--my mother in South Carolina doesn't get the same shows at the same time I do. The main thing that irritates me about Mystery! is that the TV guides so seldom tell you which show is on--Miss Marple, Inspector Lynley, whatever. I wish they'd combine the titles--"Mystery! Marple," for example.
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:04 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Different PBS stations show different shows on Mystery!--my mother in South Carolina doesn't get the same shows at the same time I do. The main thing that irritates me about Mystery! is that the TV guides so seldom tell you which show is on--Miss Marple, Inspector Lynley, whatever. I wish they'd combine the titles--"Mystery! Marple," for example.

I've stopped using TV guide, and now check TV listings on the internet. I use My Yahoo. It's especially helpful in avoiding reruns as original air dates are listed.
Nancy
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I used to subscribe to TV Guide, back when it really was a guide to television programs. I gave up on it when it stopped having 24-hour listings. Now it looks like just a gossip magazine, and not a very popular one at that.[/b]

Isaacism, 2009
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Nancy wrote:
I used to subscribe to TV Guide, back when it really was a guide to television programs. I gave up on it when it stopped having 24-hour listings. Now it looks like just a gossip magazine, and not a very popular one at that.

I agree. We quit our subscription, too. It's like another US Weekly or People.

tvguide.com works for us now. Easy and quick to get what we need.

carrobin
Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:08 am Reply with quote
I really sympathize with the problems of TV Guide. Back in the old days, before cable-plus-more-cable, I used to marvel sometimes at how they could put out a weekly listing of TV shows for all the various areas of the USA. Now there's no way to keep up with it all, unless someone comes out with a phone-book-size volume every week.

Fortunately the NY Daily News includes a TV guide with its Sunday edition, and it's about as comprehensive as one can expect these days. And it still skips a lot of channels.
chillywilly
Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote
Yeah, there's too many channels to cover in just about every market. I think the online option works great as they can cover every channel in every market, without the phone book-sized monster.

I agree, over the years, they did a great job of trying to keep up.

Marj
Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Ghulam wrote:
Did anyone else watch the PBS American Masters program on Eugene Oneill? I thought it was excellent. Lots of photographs of the playwright, his parents; wives etc, shedding a lot of light on the family dynamics and his depressive personality. Also had readings or enactments of The Iceman Cometh and The Long Day's Journey into Night by Al Pacino, Christopher Plummer, Vanessa Redgrave and others. Commentary was by, among others, Tony Kushner, Jason Robards and a couple of his biographers. Thoroughly engrossing two hours.

Ghulam - I've seen bit's and pieces of it twice. It is an excellent show, and I keep kicking myself that I keep missing the entire thing.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:29 pm Reply with quote
So aggravated with our PBS stations. Both are fundraising at the moment, with a lot of Broadway musicals, doo-wop, and such, which is fine, but I missed the Bill Moyers discussion and Now last week because I was working overtime, and there were no repeats on the weekend, which I depend upon.

If they really want us to support them, why do they keep repeating "Favorites" without giving us the intelligent discussions and documentaries that PBS is supposed to be committed to? I mean, I love the Duke of Earl as much as any other baby boomer, but give me a break.

On the other hand, I caught Eddie Izzard's "Dressed to Kill" on BBC America instead and almost went into fits from laughing. So it's not all bad.
Nancy
Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:39 pm Reply with quote
The PBS station here is doing the semi-annual begging again, too. The thing that annoys me is that so much of this is NOT the kind of programming they run the rest of the year. If there is anything interesting on during one of their begging periods, they cut it up and stick long begging sessions all through it. The problem is that they never repeat those programs uninterrupted as some later date. There's no use trying to watch or tape anything. This is one of the reasons I stopped sending them money some years ago.

Isaacism, 2009