Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

Syd
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12895 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
carrobin wrote:
If it's not the finale, why are they pushing into "Dollhouse" territory? At least that would be a reasonable excuse. Hope they aren't going to make it a habit.

Looked like they were running the last previous episode from last December to jog people's memories before resuming the story line.

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
For those who see the movie State of Play, one of the cast is Harry Lennix, who plays Boyd, Echo's handler, in Dollhouse. In the current film, he plays a cop who is on the same trail of corruption as Russel Crowe's reporter character.

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Great fun in the Dollhouse tonight. Trust Joss to come up with a whole different take on the murder mystery.
Earl
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Whoa! Without thinking, I came here out of habit when I got home tonight. I'm glad Carrobin's comment wasn't a spoiler. I recorded Dollhouse because I knew I wouldn't get home in time to watch it live. Will view it sometime this weekend and avoid this thread until after then. So spoil away, folks!

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Loved the show, a particularly ingenious kind of stand-alone episode. I found Topher making Sierra a temporary nerd buddy really heartbreaking. As was DeWitt's comment on everyone's need for fantasy. I don't think this was Eliza Dushu's best acting job on the series; I don't think she embodied the dead woman's character particuarly well, but the whole situation was well-written. (I also don't believe such a savvy woman would have allowed herself to telegraph so obviously that she was who she was in a new body--for instance knowing where that light switch was in the hall--but that's another story.) But all in all, really good.

-Topher
carrobin
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Looks like tonight's "Ashes to Ashes" was the last of the series, though it left a few things up in the air. Alex was even more annoying than usual, doing weird things in the effort to save her parents from the explosion only she knew would happen (including arresting them and locking them in the nick), but it was a rather moving episode that answered a crucial question, and the ending left some hope for an interesting relationship.
Syd
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Greatly enjoyed the episode of Dollhouse. I thought Eliza Dushku did a lot better than you did. Dichen Lachman (Sierra) was a lot of fun. Unfortunatelt, the ratings were well down from the previous episodes and I don't think the series is long for the world. Another one of those series with a small rabid audience.

Legend of the Seeker had an actual comic episode that was quite a bit of fun. A con man has come across a mirror that can capture a person's image and make another person look like them. Two associates are using it to play Richard and Kahlen. Then the con man gets the idea to use this to steal the Sword of Truth. But then the three crooks start having more clever ideas. In other words, it's a comedy of errors. Corny, but I enjoyed it, and a nice change of pace for a series that sometimes gets really grim.

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
This "Fox will cancel the show" has been going on since before it's premiere. Are there any news items that fuel this conjecture. From what I can tell, the series has good word of mouth, is doing well in its time slot (even if not as well this week as last), and stands a good chance to make money for Fox both in prime time and obviously through DVD releases. I'm not blind to the reasons for the pessimism, but I'm not convinced by those reasons, either.

-Topher
Syd
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
It has about the same ratings Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles were having as a lead-in, but Terminator was doing better before it moved to that spot. That series may not be renewed. Except for the last episode, Dollhouse was getting about 3.5 million viewers a week. The last episode was 2.9 million, which is too bad because it and the one before were strong episodes.

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Where do you get the impression that Terminator might not be renewed? And if it isn't, might that not suggest they want to keep a similar-themed show on in its place?

-Topher
Syd
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
Where do you get the impression that Terminator might not be renewed? And if it isn't, might that not suggest they want to keep a similar-themed show on in its place?

Terminator lost a third of its audience after it returned and was placed before Dollhouse, and the loss has been consistent. It could be that that is because Friday night is a weaker night for television shows. The show hasn't been renewed or canceled.

It looks like it was a much better lead-in than Prison Break.

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the most recent Dollhouse episode. As Carrobin noted, a murder mystery a la Whedon.

In addition to the positive comments that have already been made, and I agree with all of them, I also found the subplot involving Paul Ballard very well done. He cares for Mellie and knows she is an innocent in all this, but he is powerless to protect her. I really liked the moment when his former FBI coworker saw her computer go wonky for a second or two and said to Ballard, "I just started to believe you."

Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That's my first response.

Plus I think Enver Gjokaj who plays Victor is an amazing actor. I'm amazed at his range.

Great to see Alan Tudyk from Firefly as...well who suspected that?

Alas, next week is the season finale. I hope Syd is wrong and the show returns next season.

-Topher
Earl
Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
Wow. That's my first response.

Plus I think Enver Gjokaj who plays Victor is an amazing actor. I'm amazed at his range.

Great to see Alan Tudyk from Firefly as...well who suspected that?

Alas, next week is the season finale. I hope Syd is wrong and the show returns next season.

Ditto to all of that.

Also, Alan Tudyk's character when we first met him, particularly his voice and mannerisms, reminded me strongly of an older Topher. Like, this is how Topher might end up one day: computer genius alone in his apartment living most of his life online, agoraphobic, growing his own pot, er, carrots, and ordering tofu satay delivery from the Thai place round the corner. Then of course I remembered what Topher had said at the beginning of the episode about the little girl and coming up with a sort of "future profile" of her. Could someone have come up with a "future profile" of Topher?

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:20 am Reply with quote
I could totally see that.

-Topher