Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

Ghulam
Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote
The South Korean film Poetry (2010) has won 11 awards, including two at Cannes. It is the story of an elderly lady who joins a poetry class while at the same time trying to deal with Alzheimers and problems with her grandson. Gutsy lady. Probably the best South Korean movie that I have seen so far.
Syd
Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:16 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12895 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
whiskeypriest wrote:
Not sure if this goes here or Couch:

http://coronado.patch.com/articles/ib-woman-sues-claims-she-owns-titanic-rights

Quote:
An Imperial Beach woman named Princess Samantha Kennedy claims the script of the movie Titanic unlawfully draws from her unpublished biography and family history, and last week filed a lawsuit against Paramount Pictures for copyright infringement.

For the alleged infringement she wants all copies of the movie destroyed, and to be awarded all money made by the movie. The second highest grossing film ever, according to IMDB.com, Titanic made $1.8 billion in worldwide box office sales alone after its premiere in 1997.

Kennedy claims her biography was written between 1990 and 1992.

Her sister is Rose, Kate Winslet's character, and her father is Jack, Leonardo DiCaprio's character, she said. Other characters in the movie mimic other members of her family though none were passengers on the ship that sank 100 years ago.

The Princess in her name is because growing up in Memphis, her mother told her she is related to the queen of England.

"They have exploited me. Their actions are willful, willful. I will suffer the rest of my life," she said in a handwritten complaint filed in the United States District Court in San Diego.

"I have not been in a movie theatre since 1995 and recently discovered the infringement. I have hundreds of pages of side-by-side comparisons that a school grader, a child could easily read to see infringement, that I will present to the court. I have proof that Paramount Pictures had access to my work in writing from them," she said.

Kennedy claims she only recently saw the movie on television within the last year.

The complaint also requests a preliminary injunction against the studio benefiting from the movie while the matter is being disputed.

Titanic 3D is expected to premiere April 4.

The movie studio received a copy of Princess' bigoraphy she said when she filed another copyright infringement suit against Paramount in the early 1990s.

Paramount Pictures was contacted for comment but did not respond before this story was published.

Part of Titanic was filmed at studios especially made for the movie just south of the U.S.-Mexico border in Rosarito.

"Princess" Samantha Kennedy lives in la-la land. This is a garden variety nut case.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
Ghulam wrote:
The South Korean film Poetry (2010)... Probably the best South Korean movie that I have seen so far.

If you liked Poetry, you'll probably also like Secret Sunshine -- a slightly earlier film by Lee Chang Dong recently put out by Criterion -- since they are essentially the same film reworked.

I really disliked both, found them slow and unconvincing and annoying.
Just more of the Asian film boom which continues to mystify me.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I also liked Another Earth.
A relationship/atonement story, with the sci-fi being incidental and providing an odd other layer.
I compared it to Rabbit Hole, but from the perspective of the kid/bad driver.

I remember your review and didn't then get how it would parallel RH, but having seen it now, I get the similarity -- it's almost Rule o' Two country.

Contrasts with Melancholia, where a planet means destruction rather than redemption, as it does in AE.

I also like the little question mark at the end - if Mapother has an alter ego on Earth II, how is that going to work vis-a-vis the wife and child reunion?

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Martha Marcy May Marlene was okay.
Elizabeth Olsen is very good in the lead.
And the story idea is fairly interesting.
But there just wasn't enough to it.
It got sort of stuck in anxiety attacks and family disagreements. And it kept hinting at going into Straw Dogs territory. I got tired of the flashback structure mid-way through, and started predicting some of the segues.

The transgressions of Martha when dealing with her sister seemed a little contrived. The Brit hubby should have been credited as Undeveloped Character #1.
I did like the way the cult leader would at times start off menacing to wipe out any resistance and then switch to comforting to foster dependency. And I was more convinced when Martha blurted out something inappropriate rather than acted out.

Elizabeth Olsen started off the film in almost an Ellen page mode, then reminded me of Maggie Gyllenhaal, and then went into her own thing. A very interesting performance, and the main reason to watch this film.

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I should add that the 4M disc includes a short film, Last Seen Mary, which the writer/director made while preparing to make the feature. It functions as essentially a prequel to MMMM, showing a girl being manipulatively brought to such a farm.

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Just to shift a little, I thought there were a few moments in Moneyball -- specifically some weary close-ups -- where Brad Pitt looked a lot like Redford from back in the day. I assumed it was intentional.

I've not seen the movie, but are your referring to The Natural or just in general?

chillywilly
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
Kung Fu Panda 2 was up to my expectations, that is not as good as Kung Fu Panda 1, but not terrible. I found the film lack genuine tension; the ending was a foregone conclusion devoid of surprises

I watched this a few weeks ago with a patient 9 year old, who liked it on many levels. I thought the film had a decent flow to it and it kept my attention without too many distractions.

gromit
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:
gromit wrote:
Just to shift a little, I thought there were a few moments in Moneyball -- specifically some weary close-ups -- where Brad Pitt looked a lot like Redford from back in the day. I assumed it was intentional.

I've not seen the movie, but are your referring to The Natural or just in general?

In general.
One or two moments I thought there was an eerie resemblance. Given the nature of the film, it put me in mind of Redford's sports movies, but nothing specific.

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:50 am Reply with quote
London Blvd. -- better than expected, as Colin Farrell goes into his In Bruges mode and carries everything along on his strong back, with some good moments from Ray Winstone, Anna Friel, and David Thewlis. I'm definitely becoming a Farrell fan, and he has several scenes that comprise an hommage to Carlito's Way, as he tries to distance himself from a local mobster (Winstone) and an old friend who tries to drag him under.

RE: MMMM

Quote:
Elizabeth Olsen started off the film in almost an Ellen page mode, then reminded me of Maggie Gyllenhaal, and then went into her own thing. A very interesting performance, and the main reason to watch this film.

Agree. Where did you land on the question of what is really happening at the end?

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
chillywilly wrote:
gromit wrote:

In general.
One or two moments I thought there was an eerie resemblance. Given the nature of the film, it put me in mind of Redford's sports movies, but nothing specific.

Moneyball was a far better movie than The Natural, which was very pretentious and often sub-mediocre despite a fine Redford.
gromit
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:

RE: MMMM
Where did you land on the question of what is really happening at the end?

I thought there was another planet ready to crash into their SUV.
I read your exchange via the magic of Search, and don't think there is anything to it.
I think the filmmakers want to put some doubt/ambiguity in there.

Increasingly her flashbacks/memories intrude into her life. She says "Sorry, Katie" out loud to her sister in the kitchen scene, confusing her kitchen recall with her current reality. She becomes increasingly paranoid when the phone rings (maybe justifiably so in that case) and apparently full-on delusional with the bartender.

I would assume that if cult leader guy was actually sitting on a rock watching her, it's unlikely the family would be able to just drive away a half hour later. So that's likely just her imagination running away with her. And if he is not real, then the problem at the end is probably also most probably just in her head.

Don't forget where they are taking her. She needs help. I think the idea of the other vehicle acts as a physical manifestation of her paranoia/psychological damage. And underscores the film's theme and structure, that even though she has escaped and is on the way to receiving treatment, the past continues to follow/haunt her.

Last edited by gromit on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12895 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Blithe Spirit Rather stagy version of Noel Coward's Broadway hit in which a writer (Rex Harrison) invites a medium (Margaret Rutherford) to conduct a seance (for research for his book) and she accidently causes the ghost of his ex-wife to manifest, but only Harrison can see or hear her. She does have powers to move things around though, and manages to thoroughly annoy the second wife. Not as funny as it sounds, but Rutherford creates a memorable character and it made her a film star. This is how you won an Oscar for visual effects in 1946.

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I thought there was another planet ready to crash into their SUV.
I read your exchange via the magic of Search, and don't think there is anything to it.
I think the filmmakers want to put some doubt/ambiguity in there.

Perhaps a very small planet - one might even call it a meteorite. Thanks for reading my "exchange" which has mostly flown the messy coop of my mind. I will try to summon the magic of Search - a genie that, for me, tends to sit in its bottle and sulk.

IIRC, the doubt about its being pure metaphor lay with Hawkes and the possibility that she, having witnessed murder, would be a loose end that needs mopping up before she spills it all to someone in authority.

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Blithe Spirit Rather stagy version of Noel Coward's Broadway hit in which a writer (Rex Harrison) invites a medium (Margaret Rutherford) to conduct a seance (for research for his book) and she accidently causes the ghost of his ex-wife to manifest, but only Harrison can see or hear her. She does have powers to move things around though, and manages to thoroughly annoy the second wife. Not as funny as it sounds, but Rutherford creates a memorable character and it made her a film star. This is how you won an Oscar for visual effects in 1946.

I really enjoy the movie, but I can understand what you mean by "stagey." And, no, it's not really laugh-out-loud funny. But it's amusing.

-Topher