Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I think you're probably right about Taylor, Billy. And though I'm not crazy about him, but I think he deserves fair treatment.

But about Eliot? I think you may be reaching. That he wasn't given much space in the audition segments probably comes down to the fact that he's not colorful and thus didn't contribute that much for entertainment value, which is what that segment is all about (delusional failures get more airspace at that time than any of the potential winners). But I don't see how they could have missed his good voice and generally AI-appropriate looks. I don't think he troubles them or surprises them, even if they don't want him to win.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Joe--I know what you mean about Elliott's less-than-colorful personality being a factor, but if you think back, you will remember that Chris, Kat, and Paris were pimped beyond belief the minute they auditioned. We had Randy kvelling about Paris's grandmother, interviews with Kat's vocal-coach mama, scenes of Chris at work and playing with his stepkids, and cuteness with Kevin. Taylor and Elliott? Pretty much zilch.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'll take your word for it. I didn't pay close enough attention to remember that, or I might have missed more early shows than I thought.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Elliott, though, has since proven to be a great guy and, if not "colorful," at least really genuine and human. If all three men wind up as the top three, I think we have three terrific people there. Kat is really talented, and very pretty, but...can you say "narcissist"?
mo_flixx
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Earl wrote:
carrobin wrote:
Letterman and Tom Cruise seemed to enjoy each other, though Cruise is always a bit too...too much. Exhuberant, laughing, bouncing, just...you know, too much. Trying way, way too hard.

Exactly. Cruise just seems always on, never wanting to say anything remotely controversial, always in "movie star" mode. Letterman carried the interview.

It helped that Cruise's baby was born recently because it gave them something to discuss. I loved Dave's observation that the hospital "just gives you this baby and lets you drive home with it! You're trying to drive while constantly looking in the backseat cause you can't take your eyes off the baby, and you're almost crashing into stuff."

Did Tom say anything about the mother, Katie Holmes? Excuse my tabloid curiosity, but I can't wonder what is going to happen with that "couple." A long marriage doesn't seem a very likely possibility anymore. It's all getting a little Michael Jackson-ish to me.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:09 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Elliott, though, has since proven to be a great guy and, if not "colorful," at least really genuine and human.

I totally agree.

Quote:
If all three men wind up as the top three, I think we have three terrific people there. Kat is really talented, and very pretty, but...can you say "narcissist"?

Well, this is the problem with my having missed so many recent shows. I don't have a handle on her personality.

-Topher
mo_flixx
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
mo_flixx wrote:
Earl wrote:
carrobin wrote:
Letterman and Tom Cruise seemed to enjoy each other, though Cruise is always a bit too...too much. Exhuberant, laughing, bouncing, just...you know, too much. Trying way, way too hard.

Exactly. Cruise just seems always on, never wanting to say anything remotely controversial, always in "movie star" mode. Letterman carried the interview.

It helped that Cruise's baby was born recently because it gave them something to discuss. I loved Dave's observation that the hospital "just gives you this baby and lets you drive home with it! You're trying to drive while constantly looking in the backseat cause you can't take your eyes off the baby, and you're almost crashing into stuff."

I saw Tom Cruise being interviewed on the red carpet at the Tribeca Film Festival tonight. It was all Katie this and Katie that and I wouldn't be anywhere without Katie. He arrived at the event, btw, on a motorcycle. That's my macho man Tommy. (What a fruitcake!)

Did Tom say anything about the mother, Katie Holmes? Excuse my tabloid curiosity, but I can't wonder what is going to happen with that "couple." A long marriage doesn't seem a very likely possibility anymore. It's all getting a little Michael Jackson-ish to me.

TOM - the SPINMEISTER?
billyweeds
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:33 pm Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:

Saw Cruise interviewed on the red carpet at the Tribeca Film Festival. It was all Karie this and Katie that and I'd be nowhere without Katie. Feh. He arrived at the theater on a motorcycle. What a macho man our Tommy is. (Fruitcake!)
Marj
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Elliott, though, has since proven to be a great guy and, if not "colorful," at least really genuine and human. If all three men wind up as the top three, I think we have three terrific people there. Kat is really talented, and very pretty, but...can you say "narcissist"?

I wonder. I really do. It seems to me that far too often really pretty girls get this label. On the other hand, you're not the first one to say this about Kat, so perhaps I'm the one missing the obvious.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote
Marj--Well, to be fair, Kat is no J. Lo--or even Mikalah Gordon (a not very pretty narcissist). But she poses a lot and you can often see her sort of observing her own affect. This is not, I hasten to add, particularly awful or unusual for performers. But Elliott and Taylor have almost no narcissism, it seems to me, and Chris has only a little. (And with looks as dramatic as his or striking as Kat's you can't even really blame them!)
billyweeds
Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:04 am Reply with quote
Thought it was hilarious when the group did the sentimental "group sing" tonight (I loved the cheesy song, btw), you could see Chris visibly trying to remove himself from the five-shot at the end. The other four were all "we're one big happy family" but rocker Chris sort of stood off to the side with a death glare. I laughed and laughed!

Yes, yes, yes, I am waaaay too involved in this crap. I admit it.
mo_flixx
Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:20 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
mo_flixx wrote:

Saw Cruise interviewed on the red carpet at the Tribeca Film Festival. It was all Karie this and Katie that and I'd be nowhere without Katie. Feh. He arrived at the theater on a motorcycle. What a macho man our Tommy is. (Fruitcake!)

But it wasn't A MISSION IMPOSSIBLE afterall!

Wink
Marj
Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:28 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Marj--Well, to be fair, Kat is no J. Lo--or even Mikalah Gordon (a not very pretty narcissist). But she poses a lot and you can often see her sort of observing her own affect. This is not, I hasten to add, particularly awful or unusual for performers. But Elliott and Taylor have almost no narcissism, it seems to me, and Chris has only a little. (And with looks as dramatic as his or striking as Kat's you can't even really blame them!)

As I said, I am obviously missing the obvious.

And Billy, just to make you feel better, after I finished working at midnight this weekend I watched all of AI 4.

PS. You're not alone.
Marj
Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
This may only interest a few, but for those who are lovers of the Broadway musical, PBS did a wonderful concert at Carnegie Hall last Wednesday, of South Pacific.

I understand or so I've been told this is going to be rebroadcast, so watch your PBS Stations. Brian Stokes Mitchell is certainly worth the price of admission.

Talk about voices!!
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:26 am Reply with quote
And in concert may be the best way to take it. I love the score, but Hammerstein's book, co-written with Josh Logan, is nowhere near up to the standard of Oklahoma!, Carousel, or The King and I. Mostly I'm thinking of the dialogue and the architecture (issues brought up and then dropped upon the instant; that feeble destroy-the-good-luck-charm-and-thus-fortelling-doom business; characters very frequently make rash decisions out of nowhere that radically effect their lives).

Though the characters and basic situations are compelling, as is that heartbreaking scene between Nellie and Liat near the end. And that other heartbreaking scene that ends the show.

...in other words, despite many flaws, tremendously moving.

But the songs are the best thing about it.

...what was I trying to say?

-Topher