Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

Marc
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:12 am Reply with quote
censored, we're talking last 20 years. GUN CLUB, CRAMPS, FRANKY GOES,GOLDEN PALOMINOS....your going back practically 30 years.
censored-03
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:22 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
Marc wrote:
censored, we're talking last 20 years. GUN CLUB, CRAMPS, FRANKY GOES,GOLDEN PALOMINOS....your going back practically 30 years.
Not really I remember purchasing those albums (new) around the mid-80's. That's 20 years, no.

What about Blur's first album with She's So High and There's No Other Way now that's safely in the last 20 years. I dug that pseudo-psychedelic sound.

shannon
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:13 pm Reply with quote
A good interview with Ryan Adams on Pitchfork this week. He talks about Bryan Adams. It's funny.

Quote:
Pitchfork: So have you ever met Bryan Adams?

Adams: Yeah, once.

Pitchfork: Was it weird?

Adams: It was pretty weird. He was at this hotel in Germany. And I was upstairs, and I had really bad, bad fucking bronchitis, and I had to fly, you know? I think it was Munich. And I had flown over to do a week of press. I was so ill, like before the plane even landed, I was dying. So we tried to get the in-house doctor to come see me because I definitely needed something to break up some of mucous. And I got all these drugs, and then I got extra drugs, just because I was there, whatever else I was into at the time. I mean, it's no mystery what I was into at the time. I basically got fixed up, he helped me to sleep. And it got charged to Bryan Adams' room.

Pitchfork: Did he call you?

Adams: Yeah! So it was this big thing, and I get this call. And he's like well, I think they've been charged to the wrong room. He's got an English accent, I think his mom might be English or something. And he really wanted to come down and meet me. But I said no, I was too sick. I thought it would be greatest thing, I was just super-contagious. So we talked for awhile, and he was like "I definitely want to have a truce." And I was like, I'm not mad at you! He was being really emotional about it. And I was like, I don't talk shit about you. I think everyone else has been making really weird comparisons or getting caught up in the name. And I was like, it's a fucking Catholic name! Whatever. So then the medication I was taking made me kind of high, and I ended up calling him back later and asking him to be the tin man in that video I did with Elton John. Which he of course declined.

Pitchfork: That's a great story.

Adams: I know, but I really shouldn't have called him back. "By the way, man, do you want to play the tin man?"

Pitchfork: I don't think you should regret that.

Adams: (In British accent): "I think I am going to be busy for the next thousand years."

Pitchfork: Do you ever wonder if people go to Bryan Adams shows and yell out the names of your songs?

Adams: I don't know! I think the only reason that they do that-- I mean, they don't really do it much anymore, I hear it once in a very long while-- is because they think that it actually makes me mad. They think that the song name is what makes me mad, which is absurd. I don't care what they were yelling. The problem is that the guy who was yelling that song title out, the time I got really mad, was yelling it over and over again. And Gillian Welch and David Rawlings were on stage with me, and we were singing a three-part harmony to "Bartering Lines", with no musical accompaniment, except a banjo and his Archtop guitar.

So when the breakdown happens, it's just three voices, and the guy yells it out. And I'm so honored to be onstage with those guys, you know? And this guy screaming over them? "Summer of '69"? It's like, you know what, it wasn't fucking funny the first time you did it, which is why nobody laughed. But after eight or nine times? At the Ryman? I was just like, this sucks. These are my friends. Just stop. So when I kicked that guy out, everybody thought it was because he was confusing me with Bryan Adams. But it was more a matter of respect. I mean, come on, there are these bluegrass musicians up here, the best out there that I know of...
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
That was funny, shannon. Thanks for the post.

Loved this part...

"And this guy screaming over them? "Summer of '69"? It's like, you know what, it wasn't fucking funny the first time you did it, which is why nobody laughed. But after eight or nine times? At the Ryman? I was just like, this sucks."

Macca00
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:18 pm Reply with quote
shannon, you're seriously tempting me here to go on one of my occasional Ryan Adams rants. The "Summer of 69" anecdote he cites is fair comment (Gillian Welch has far more authenticity & integrity than many in the alt. country scene). Confession/anecdote moment: at Ryan Adams' Liverpool gig in January last year his drunken/stoned condition alienated most of the audience. A handful of people tried to shush the largely restive & thoroughly pissed-off crowd, making supportive noises to the stage. That was my red rag to the bull moment. As the cries of disapproval from the crowd momentarily subsided, I roared, "Tortured artist, my arse! Get on with it, you wanker: I haven't paid £20 [$35] for this shite!" As rock moments go, it wasn't quite the Bob Dylan "Judas" affair, but it did find favour with most of the audience.
Forgot to mention the other day that I've also been listening fairly regularly to "Employment", the new album by The Kaiserchiefs. I like their exuberance & passion; they're young scamps, having the time of their lives, yet retaining a sense of realism about their good fortune. The album combines the energy of punk with a dry wit.
shannon
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:59 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty much what I'd expect if I went to a Ryan Adams concert, Macca. It's what he's always been known for. He speaks about this briefly in the aforementioned interview:

Quote:
Adams: ...We were at the Henry Fonda theater in LA, and I had 45 Grave Robbers open-- they're one of my favorite punk rock bands of all time. And they're kinda goth. And the audience was like, literally, after the third song, going what the fuck is this? So I went out there, and stood in the front row of the audience and rocked out to the whole set. Not that that made them like it, but I thought well, fuck it, if they're not going to enjoy it, I am. And they were amazing. But just because I play sad songs, doesn't mean someone can't open and tear the house down. It would probably freak out some frat guys. Which is good. I watched them every night, and they would turn on 60% of the audience, and run off the 40% of those fuckheads that I can't stand anyway. The ones that go "Hey Ryan, play Wonder Wheel! Play Wonder Wheel!" And I'm like, what?

Pitchfork: Are you serious?

Adams: Yeah, people actually call that song out. "Hey man, Wonder Wheel!" Oh my God.

Pitchfork: You have a contentious relationship with your fans. They yell a lot of shit at you.

Adams: Fuck yeah, man! I think some people pay just to yell.

Pitchfork: That's pretty great, if you can get people to come to your shows just to yell at you.

Adams: Well, you know, if I break the fourth wall-- Parker's always talking about plays, and saying that you never acknowledge the audience, you don't break the fourth wall. And I go, God, I crawl all over the fourth wall. I open myself up to it, but I don't know any differently. I figure it'll make everybody more comfortable. So that's the difference. If it were a play, and you fuck up, you shouldn't go oops, I fucked that up. The suspension of disbelief would be gone. But I think with those guys, it's like, I know I'm just playing a rock show, I know it's no big fucking deal. But as soon as that happens, you gotta let them yell some shit, too.

I look at it from this standpoint sometimes: How good was Terrence Trent D'Arby? And where is he? At least I get to go out. Even if they yell at me, at least I'm out there. How bad can it really be?

Pitchfork: I like that Terrence Trent D'Arby is somehow the new barometer of awful things that happen to careers.

Adams: Fuck, he was on top of the world! Or Moon Unit Zappa? How cute was she? Where did she go?

Pitchfork: Totally cute.

Adams: There was a video. I remember having a big crush, you know. Where are they now?
shannon
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Love the Kaiser Chiefs, too. To me, they have it all over other current Wire-y Brit-pop groups like Bloc Party, the Futureheads, or Maximo Park (who I like a lot, btw) mainly because of their concentration on harmony. Songs like "You Can Have It All" would fit right in with late-'60's-'70's Beach Boys. (I suppose this is a lazy comparison considering they pretty much invite it with a song titled "Caroline, Yes.")

I'm suprised that odds-makers are giving 4/1 odds to Kaiser Chiefs (over fucking Coldplay?) for this year's Mercury Prize. Just how popular are they in the UK? Other than a few late night spins on MTV2 or Fuse, I have yet to hear about them anywhere other than Pitchfork and various indie blogs.

That said, if there's a god, M.I.A. will win.
shannon
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:13 pm Reply with quote
While you're here, Macca: I gave Don't Believe the Truth a run-through today and pretty much agree with you. I think it's a fun album, but nothing really substantial. That said, I hope they release "The Importance of Being Idle" as a single. It might be one favorite songs this year.
Macca00
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:14 pm Reply with quote
shannon, any mention in the Pitchfork interview about Ryan Adams' (literal) fall from grace at the Liverpool gig, or is it something of a PR piece for the mollycoddled, self-indulgent little brat?
shannon
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Pitchfork don't do PR. The whole thing started like two years ago. Pitchfork published a really negative, but fair (not snarky like they're normally known for), review of his Rock n' Roll (I think they gave it a 2 or something) and Ryan Adams contacted the reviewer, I guess to tell her to go fuck herself. The two ended up getting along really well, though, judging from the resultant interview. (They spent a lot of talking chatting about the Grateful Dead.) Anyways, this latest interview is basically him calling her back with no agenda other than to say, "What's up?"

Anyways, no mention of the Liverpool gig. As I said, this is pretty much how every Ryan Adams gig goes, so he probably doesn't see it as being that notorious.
Macca00
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:31 pm Reply with quote
shannon, Coldplay are now seen as a mainstream act here in the U.K. The Mercury Music Prize is usually oriented at eclectic, "leftfield" acts, so it doesn't surprise me that The Kaiserchiefs are tipped over Gwyneth Paltrow's Husband's band. Don't get me wrong, Coldplay can play & do rock but Chris Martin has openly admitted that he wants to follow in the musical & evangelical footsteps of Bono. God help us! They were impressive at Glastonbury & Live8 but that is never a guarantee of musical credibility.
shannon
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I thought the Mercury Prize was the Brit equivalent of a Grammy, but I guess I was wrong. That's why I wondered why the infinitely more popular Coldplay wouldn't have the odds.

Here's that first Ryan Adams interview with Pitchfork. It's a fun read. Like him or not, Adams gives good interview.
Macca00
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:57 pm Reply with quote
shannon, the Mercury Music Prize isn't remotely like the Grammys. The U.K. equivalent of the Grammys is the Brits, which takes place at the start of the year. It tends to favour those acts which pollute daytime radio airplay (Travis, Robbie Williams) & give lifetime awards to the Spice Girls & Duran Duran [hello, am I missing something here?].
Marc
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Man am I digging the shit out of CLAP YOUR HANDS SAY YEAH.
ehle64
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah are incredibly fun, thanks to Shannon for that turn-on.

Gosh, I guess I'm just not cool anymore, I happen to really like Travis and enjoy a few Robbie Williams tracks as well.