Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Nancy
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quote
movielover14 wrote:
I recently saw the Queen. I was really good. I thought Helen Mirren did a very good job in it. One thing I thought they were going to show more of was the queen's life. I thought they were going to show more of her life before getting in to Diana's death. But I still thought it was very good.

Yes, Mirren was outstanding. She got my Blanche vote. The actor who played Tony Blair was good too.

Isaacism, 2009
Nancy
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
I know this has been said before, but the scene where Omar Sharif appears out of the desert, first a barely perceptible dot on the horizon gradually becoming a shimeering shape and then a rider until after a couple of minutes he hoves into view is one of the great scenes in cinema. It is both beautiful and, in an I-can't-stand-it-anymore sort of way, as tense as anything found in any thriller or horror film. Lean is actually reported as saying he regrets losing his nerve and not making the scene even longer - he cut to O'Toole and removed a large chunk of Sharif's arrival.

I suppose it is in the eye of the beholder whether spending three minutes watching a shape in an empty landscape slowly getting bigger and coming onto focus is rivetting cinema or yawn inducing. I fall into the former camp.

Me too. I saw Lawrence again when it was re-released in 70 mm on the big screen, and that scene was almost painfully suspenseful. It's a fantastic movie.

Isaacism, 2009
Nancy
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:41 am Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
Not to mention drop dead gorgeous.

Well, there is (or rather, was) that.

Isaacism, 2009
Syd
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12895 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
jeremy wrote:

I suppose it is in the eye of the beholder whether spending three minutes watching a shape in an empty landscape slowly getting bigger and coming onto focus is rivetting cinema or yawn inducing. I fall into the former camp.

It certainly does wonders toward increasing your attention span. Unfortunately it doesn't work so well if you see the movie on tv, because for a good part of the scene you can't see the dot on the landscape.

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
jeremy wrote:

Me, too. And I believe so does Van Sant. I never even thought about it, but there's a great scene like that in Gerry that probably does go the whole 3 minutes.

Ehle..........I immediately thought of Gerry, too! What a connection.
Befade
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:
Befade wrote:
I did it. I watched all of The Departed. I wish I hadn't watched it alone. I feel like I've seen a horror movie. What's that song......"Everybody must get stoned"? The Departed could have been called "Everybody must get killed"

Yuck.......doesn't make me feel good to go to bed after this one......

Getting past the multiple victims, did you like the direction? The cast? The dialouge?

Didn't anybody see The Departed and feel brutalized? Or do people actually enjoy feeling brutalized by a film? (Similar to teens who burn their arms with lit cigarettes just so they'll know they're alive.

Maybe I'm being strident.......or maybe I'm being sensitive.

The tension in the last 3/4 of the film was enormous.......so I guess the directing was responsible for that. The acting.....de Caprio got under my skin.....I wanted him to get the girl and ride off into the sunset. Damon made me squirm. I liked Vera and want to see more of her. Baldwin and Sheen were pretty ordinary. I liked seeing Ray Winstone again.....but not as a bad guy. Jack was at his grimiest......dirty......I thought he played down his usual eyebrow sneering grinning Jack. Wahlberg was more quick witted than I've seen him before. If I had to pick one actor to award it would be de Caprio.

The dialogue was too course for my taste.
billyweeds
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Befade--I think you're a little too sensitive for Scorsese, then. A word of advice: if The Departed was too much for you, never, never see GoodFellas.
Befade
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I kind of liked Goodfellas.....but remember Joe Pesci being disturbing. I liked Apocalypto.....

Call me TSFS. I can live with that.
chillywilly
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
GoodFellas was quite a bit harsher than The Departed, IMO. Most of which made one of my favorite of Scorsese's films.

inlareviewer
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Averted my eyes more during Goodfellas than during Departed, but there was still a good deal of eye-averting in the latter, the arm-cast-crackin' screams still shredding my earballs.

Hey, chillywilly, break-a-leg tonight, and thank you for assuming the grave responsibility of conveying this year's Blancheography.

Lorne, feel better soon.

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Have to retreat to pre-Blanche ablutions. The car will be here before I know it. Very excitificating.

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Meet you on the Blue Velvet Carpet, dollface!

You know, we oughta Limo-pool, I mean the traffic is always such a bitch!

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:51 pm Reply with quote
ehle: Done. I need to open the sun roof and stand to avoid crumpling the frock, not to mention the tiara.

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Little Miss Sunshine, Gosling, Epps, Arkin, McDormand, Dayton&Faris, take top Indy Spirits:
http://theenvelope.latimes.com/awards/spirit/env-indiespirits24feb24,0,775232.story

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:32 pm Reply with quote
GOSLING!!!