Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Melody
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:22 am Reply with quote
Trish wrote:
Okay what the hell I don't recall any ESOTSM hate here when it came out - where's this all coming from?

Good point, considering two years ago, it won the Blanche for Best Picture of the Year.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Melody wrote:
Trish wrote:
Okay what the hell I don't recall any ESOTSM hate here when it came out - where's this all coming from?

Good point, considering two years ago, it won the Blanche for Best Picture of the Year.

The dislike was always there, but maybe it intensified after the Blanche win.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
billyweeds wrote:
Melody wrote:
Trish wrote:

The dislike was always there, but maybe it intensified after the Blanche win.
Ah, the inevitable Banche backlash.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
The Village Voice review of "The Number 23" is hilarious --

http://www.villagevoice.com/film/0708,lee,75854,20.html

Sounds like this might be one of films worth seeing for its awful and near-instant campiness.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I think the main thing interesting about Venus.......is seeing Peter O'Toole.....who I thought was probably dead......after a long absence. Remember how beautiful he was in Lawrence of Arabia? Well......he's an old man now.....and not a particularly beautiful one. He's 74......but in the movie he looks close to 90.

He's an accomplished actor still taking roles (mostly as corpses or close to). He has a couple of old pals he gets together with for breakfast. One is the actor from History Boys and he is hilarious! He shows up at his friend's apartment for a drink and discovers his friend has a young woman relative living with him......and supposedly taking care of him. Since he's always been a womanizer.....he's still up (not quite up) for it.....and tries to make inroads with the unappealingly trashy young woman.

This was the part of the story that interested me least. Except that it made me think of Anna NS marrying the 89 yr. old when she was 23. I can see how a person getting older (as we all are) can become rejuvenated in the company of a young person. What I can't see is the young person being intrigued with the older person. I used to avoid them (old folks) like the plague until a few years ago (when I hit 60).

But O'Toole as an old boy was intriguing. He was on Leno last night and he seems to be enjoying himself. Still a story teller. He's an alcoholic who hasn't had a drink in years, he recovered from stomach cancer years ago. He's not the Paul Newman type of stately old......but he doesn't give old a bad name.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I checked out Peter O'Toole's seven previous Oscar nominations and found that none of them really rocked my world--and, yes, I'm including the widely adored Lawrence of Arabia, about which I have always found myself in a very small minority. I think it's a great insomnia cure.

All the rest of O'Toole's nominated performances are in a mid-range that do nothing for me. IMO Forest Whitaker's work in The Last King of Scotland trumps O'Toole's entire career.
Befade
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I meant to say that I don't think O'Toole's performance outshines Whitaker's. O'Toole may have been more or less playing himself. I was taken with him.....probablly not with "his acting." I'm still in Whitaker's corner. And Venus, the film really does have shortcomings.

I will say that right before I saw Venus I snuck in to see 10 minutes of Notes on a Scandal. I was mesmerized. That movie has the acting. It was the scene when Barbara comes to lunch at Sheba's house. One of the best scenes in the movie. When that's out on dvd.....I will buy it. (I hope I'm not obsessed. If I watch it everynight I will have to send out a call for help.....but who would be able to help me with that kind of obsession?)
Rod
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
billyweeds wrote:
I checked out Peter O'Toole's seven previous Oscar nominations and found that none of them really rocked my world--and, yes, I'm including the widely adored Lawrence of Arabia, about which I have always found myself in a very small minority. I think it's a great insomnia cure.

It's official Bill. You have no taste.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for Venus to get to a theater close enough for me to see it. Or maybe a video store, at this rate. And I still think they should have picked O'Toole to be Dumbledore after Richard Harris died.

Isaacism, 2009
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Rod wrote:
billyweeds wrote:

It's official Bill. You have no taste.

So lovely to be able to express an opinion and get a reasonable response.
jeremy
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I have mixed feelings about Peter O'Toole's 'acting' and like a lot of his contempories, Reed, Burton, Harris, he drank away the best part of his prime and not inconsiderable talent. That said, his performance in Lawrence of Arabia transcended acting or rather came from a different place, he was mesmerising.

Last edited by jeremy on Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
ehle64
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention drop dead gorgeous.

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
I did it. I watched all of The Departed. I wish I hadn't watched it alone. I feel like I've seen a horror movie. What's that song......"Everybody must get stoned"? The Departed could have been called "Everybody must get killed"

Yuck.......doesn't make me feel good to go to bed after this one......
Befade
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:57 am Reply with quote
Good night.
chillywilly
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:30 am Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
I did it. I watched all of The Departed. I wish I hadn't watched it alone. I feel like I've seen a horror movie. What's that song......"Everybody must get stoned"? The Departed could have been called "Everybody must get killed"

Yuck.......doesn't make me feel good to go to bed after this one......

Getting past the multiple victims, did you like the direction? The cast? The dialouge?