Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:41 pm Reply with quote
So, um... My Media Player & Napster have made me an absolute playlist addict; I'm making cd's of music genres I don't even care about. Not to worry, though; I've got about 10 heavy metal mixes, appropriately titled Metal Mania 8191.

Anyway, I'm in the middle of making the oddest, awkward, blush-inducing painful playlist ever.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to go visit the ex-gf, possibly for the last time, although I hope not. She's possibly moving to California, and possibly getting married this coming summer. The new guy doesn't even fucking like cats. So I'm kind of a near-trembling wreck, but so far I've succeeded in not doing any damage to myself or anyone else. Don't even feel like having a drink.

This is the playlist, a collection of songs that either have some sort of historical meaning to the two of us, are songs she loves, or are songs that make me think about us:

1. Waiting (Reprise), George Michael
2. Wait for Me, Hall & Oates
3. If I Was, Midge Ure
4. One Hundred Ways, James Ingram
5. Space Age Love Song, A Flock of Seagulls
6. Bizarre Love Triangle, New Order
7. Vindicated, Dashboard Confessional
8. Photograph, Def Leppard
9. The Power of Goodbye, Madonna
10. Cry on Demand, Ryan Adams
11. Epiphany, Staind
12. Time After Time, Tuck & Patti
13. The Last Day of Our Acquaintance, Sinead O'Connor
14. The Heart of the Matter, Don Henley
15. Long December, Counting Crowes
16. These Are the Days of Our Lives, Queen
17. The Waiting Song, Ani DiFranco
18. Snow on the Sahara, Angun
19. I Miss You, Blink-182
20. Here Without You, Three Doors Down
21. Cautioners, Jimmy Eat World
22. Ice Cream, Sarah Maclachlan
23. All Night Thing, Temple of the Dog
24. My Favorite Mistake, Sheryl Crowe
25. No One Is to Blame, Howard Jones
26. The Promise, When in Rome
27. Patience, Guns n Roses

So far, I seem to be able to fit this all on one CD. Let's see what happens when I try to burn it. I know some of it is cheesy pop, but there's no explaining personal history, I guess.

By the way, I apologize for dumping shit like this in the forum; I know it's not its intended purpose and there are few things more annoying than someone dumping their psychosis and turmoils onto others, but I don't really talk about this kind of stuff with actual people in my life. I'm the guy who argues with movie stars about the virtues of hair metal (this is true), gets in bar fights (this used to be true) and mainlines speedballs and biker rallies (this is completely untrue). I'm not exactly the type to cry to my friends and family, so I both thank you and apologize to you for letting me vent this shit in here.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
marantzo
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:51 pm Reply with quote
You don't have to apologise to me Brownie, I find it very interesting, if sad. Now I'm dying to know what happens when you have that meeting. It's been an awful long time since I've been in a situation like that and I surely don't miss it.
Marilyn
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Son Seals
1942-2004

Tough, raw style led '70s blues revival

By Bob Gendron
Special to the Tribune
Published December 22, 2004

Alligator Records owner Bruce Iglauer won't ever forget the first time he heard Son Seals.

Blues enthusiast Wesley Race was at the Flamingo Club, on the South Side, and was so enthralled with what he was experiencing that he called Iglauer and held up the phone toward the stage while Seals played in the background.

Immediately taken by the sound, Iglauer soon went to see Seals for himself at the now-defunct Expressway Lounge on 55th Street, where the guitarist/vocalist was performing with borrowed equipment. After the show, Iglauer met Seals and learned that he had written a batch of original material that hadn't been recorded. It marked the beginning of a friendship that spanned more than 30 years.

A musical icon and international symbol of the new generation of Chicago blues, Seals, 62, died of complications from diabetes Monday in a Richton Park nursing home.

He was born Frank Seals in Osceola, Ark. His father ran a rural juke joint named the Dipsy Doodle, where he witnessed performances by first- and second-generation blues masters Sonny Boy Williamson, Robert Nighthawk and Albert King.

Eventually providing backup for some of the legends, Seals initially took to the drums but switched to the guitar by the time he turned 18. Having previously been up to Chicago to visit his sister, he permanently relocated to the city in 1971, the year his father died.

But Seals didn't become widely known until after recording his first album for Alligator in 1973. Before that he was living in a basement in dire poverty, scraping by playing at South Side clubs. By 1975, Mr. Seals was touring Europe and the U.S. throughout the '80s and early '90s.

Although his health had been deteriorating for years and he lost his left leg to diabetes in 1999, Mr. Seals still performed around town at North Side establishments such as Kingston Mines and Blues on Halsted.

His last public performance took place in October in California.

"He had such energy and focus that he couldn't be denied," Iglauer says. "It was all about his ability to get on the bandstand and shake people. His music was about expressing anger and getting it out of you, so you'd feel better. His songs were tough, raw and aggressive, but he was gentle and funny. Son was a healer."

Marc Lipkin, an Alligator publicist, said Seals played a leading role in a blues revival that was primarily fueled by college-age white listeners discovering the genre for the first time.

"Son redefined the Chicago blues sound for a new audience in the '70s," Lipkin said. "And when he went on any stage, he owned it."

Seals recorded six studio records for Alligator, all produced by Iglauer and made on handshake deals. The best example of Seals' trademark style is widely considered to be 1976's "Midnight Son," on which a soulful horn section augments his razor-sharp guitar, gruff vocals and raw attack. Rolling Stone magazine proclaimed it "one of the most significant blues albums of the decade."

Two live sets--1978's "Live & Burning" recorded at Chicago's original Wise Fools Pub and 1996's "Spontaneous Combustion," taped at Buddy Guy's Legends--capture the gritty essence of his invigorating performances. His song "Funky Bitch" was regularly covered by jam-band Phish, who invited Seals to perform onstage on several occasions and introduced him to a younger crowd. The resilient guitarist also won three W.C. Handy Awards, most recently in 2001 for his sole Telarc Records release, "Lettin' Go."

Some of Seals' most influential cuts were included on Alligator's "Deluxe Edition" CD retrospective in 2002.

He is survived by a sister, Katherine Sims, and 14 children. Funeral arrangements have not been announced.

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, marantz.

Maybe if I'm lucky she'll butcher me with a clawhammer and feed me to the cats.

But really, thanks.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
Marilyn
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Tim, try not to let it get you down. Someone who'd treat you like this now would be worse to you a few years down the road. I know that it hurts, but you'll find someone who'll treat you like the god you are, so don't sweat it. (If it could happen to an old broad like me, it can happen to a young, talented buck like you.)

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Thank you so much.

But to clarify, we haven't done anything horrible to each other. The situation's pretty agonizing, but I don't blame her, or she me, at all. It's just really rough, because in a way that makes it tougher. It'd be a lot of easier if lost our affection for each other.

People kind of assume we must hate each other or something, which is one of the reasons it's difficult to discuss with people. I know my friends mean well, but I don't let them say anything negative about her.

This mtg. is sort of a not-quite final goodbye, voluntary on both parts. So whatever hurt I'm experiencing is positive, I guess, in that we're both willing to bear it to say some proper goodbyes.

Thank you very much. This is probably boring the shit out of hippie, so I'll knock it off.

But it's nice to be called a god. Last time someone called me that it was while I was playing Skid Row in the gym. I believe the exact quote was: "Jesus, you are like the god-king of shitty music."

Marilyn
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Tim, when my ex and I split, we didn't hate each other either. As time has gone by and I've had time to reflect, I realize that I took a lot of abuse that I wouldn't acknowledge, and now I'm mad. I'm not saying the same is true in your case, but you made it sound like you could not live up to her lifestyle expectations. That means she maybe didn't want YOU so much as what she thought you could give her. I know that was my problem for a long time with men. But that's my two cents and now I'll butt out.

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
To all music fans, especially in Third Eye ... Merry Christmas and a great New Year of tunes !

Rod
Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:34 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
I got an MP3 player for Christmas and I believe it may be the greatest invention ever crafted by human hands. I've already loaded Kind Of Blue, Horses, Franz Ferdinand, and Tourist and I'm working on sticking on selections from 3 Dylan albums. Oh, am I happy.

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This is probably boring the shit out of hippie, so I'll knock it off.

brown,

matters of the heart never bore me. Its the stomach-related stuff that
sends me into snoozeland.
Marc
Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:46 am Reply with quote
I got my first digital camera for Christmas. I love the immediate gratification of taking a picture and seeing it instantaneously.
chillywilly
Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:23 am Reply with quote
censored - where are those pics from? is that some hotel?

Rod - what MP3 player did you get? make? model? how big is the hard drive or is a flash-based player?

Marc - congrats and welcome to the digital camera world. I've had a digital for over 7 years now and it's great. My current camera is over 5 years old and still works great.

Post a pic from your store so those of us that can't come see it just yet can see what it looks like.

Rod
Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
Chilly:

Sansui, 128 mb mem

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:23 am Reply with quote
Rod wrote:
Chilly:

Sansui, 128 mb mem

Cool deal. My daughter wants one now and I'm trying to see what model would be good for her.

The one I was looking at was the Creative MuvoNX. It has a USB device right on the player. Just plug it in to a USB port, it shows up as a drive. You copy the MP3s to it, unplug then plug the headphone attachment back on and start playing. It looks very easy to use and something that her dad would not have to do much tech support for.

censored-03
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
Chilly,
It's a hotel that I think is owned by Disney. The music theme could be fun for the kids...
I love the piano pool, wish I had one like that. Sorry for taking up so much space on the page.

Marc,
Talk about instant gratification. I am fairly new to digital cameras as well, but for the past couple of years I have taken a shot, downloaded and printed a very decent photo all within minutes..it is awesome really.