Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

billyweeds
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:49 am Reply with quote
It reminds me of Ransom with my Aussie hunk-o-man, Mel. The remake was good until I saw the original.

Must vehemently disagree. The original was mediocre and the remake unspeakable.
mo_flixx
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:08 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
It reminds me of Ransom with my Aussie hunk-o-man, Mel. The remake was good until I saw the original.

I thought Mel was an Aussie hunk-o-man back in "Tim," but those days are long gone.

Crying or Very sad
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:14 am Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
billyweeds wrote:

I thought Mel was an Aussie hunk-o-man back in "Tim," but those days are long gone.

Crying or Very sad

I am still a Mel fan, but definitely not in Ransom.
Trish
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:23 am Reply with quote
GIVE ME BACK MY SON!!!
mo_flixx
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:23 am Reply with quote
No one responded to my post about "The Devil and Daniel Johnston." I guess that means no one has seen it yet.
I recommend this documentary about a mad (yes, he really is crazy), brilliant musician who has been compared with Brian Wilson and has written many songs performed by famous artists.

Tried to talk to Hippie about it yesterday at MONDO, but he was too busy.

One of the great things about the movie is that Daniel still has his tapes, videos, and drawings from his teenage years. You hear about his summer when he worked at "AstroWorld." You see Daniel as a young celebrity working at McDonald's cleaning tables - but who is attracting a cult following into the restaurant. We follow Daniel through his dark times, his days as a carney (sp), a Bowery bum, etc.
I had to come back a second time to see the film, because it depressed me at first. But this movie seems to be a genuine underground crowd pleaser, esp. for younger audiences. Happily, Daniel seems to have a good live today. His parents are lovingly managing his career and he's doing his music.
chillywilly
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:28 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Everybody--Hate to say it ('cause I know it's currently politically incorrect on the forum), but Harry makes some valid points (albeit in a rather obnoxious fashion).

I agree. It's the arrogance that most of us had issues with.

marantzo
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:06 am Reply with quote
Well, if he says 'toodles' we'll know who he is. Mind you, he is in the wrong city so I doubt it.
Befade
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I guess this is Current Film...........I'm getting confused.

Saw Da Vinci Code last night. I liked being reminded of the book and the settings were great: the Louvre, the churches, scenes of London and Paris. However, no thank you Tom Hanks. How can you take the guy who was in Big, Cast Away, The Terminal, Forrest Gump and turn him into a Harvard professor, symbol expert, sleuth, and serious decoder?

Tom Hanks is not Everyman. He's not Cary Grant. Audrey Tautou wore an expression of unhappy resign to his casting throughout the entire movie. What a shame! Paul Bettany's face was too pretty. He wasn't scary enough.

The only acting to enjoy here was Ian McKellen's. Jean Reno was okay. And I'm always happy to see Alfred Molina.
lshap
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
The only surprise you'll get from The BreakUp is that it's actually entertaining. The story is droolingly simple - man and woman meet, become a couple, have issues, break up, suffer regret. Not exactly visionary. But Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Anniston are so good together that the film compensates for its pedestrian path with that elusive thing called "chemistry". It's there in the dialogue between them, and it's there in every angry and bittersweet moment they experience while apart. Vaughn in particular is charming as hell, especially because in this film he finally shows some sensitivity to balance out the loud prick routine. It works for him, and it gives this date flic some emotional muscle.

Another reason The BreakUp is as good a relationship flic as I've seen in awhile is because Vince and Jennifer play people who think, act and feel like real folks. It's a solid screenplay with no annoying teen angst and no muted adult geeks who can't get laid. I know couples like them and I've been part of couples like them.
shannon
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Advance word was that The Break Up is horrible, but I thought the trailer made it look like a lot of fun. Nows I won't feel so guilty when I go see it tomorrow.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote
You know, I was just thinking to myself, Why don't we have more Jennifer Anisten movies. I mean, she's so underutilized, almost a cult figure, really. I'm glad she's finally getting the attention she deserves.

-Topher
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Having gone through a horrific breakup in while living in Chicago, I can't help but project my own experiences and inner personal traumas onto the idea of The Break-up.

As I understand it, the premise is that Vaughn & Aniston break up, but neither one of them wants to give up their awesome apartment. Gee, what a tough dilemma.

Wouldn't a more interesting, and not necessarily more dramatic, movie come about if the dilemma was that neither one of them could afford to move out - that while they were emotionally incompatible, they utterly financially co-dependent.

I know I'm complaining that a movie I haven't seen isn't what I'd rather see, which is like, every critical pet peeve I have rolled in one, but I couldn't help thinking that when I saw the trailer.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
dlhavard
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
I will probably go see District B-13 (a French flic that got very good reviews), a sort of French Crouching Tiger/Escape from New York.

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
You know, I was just thinking to myself, Why don't we have more Jennifer Anisten movies. I mean, she's so underutilized, almost a cult figure, really. I'm glad she's finally getting the attention she deserves.

Finally?! For an actor who has had almost no success in her film career she sure is getting plenty of attention. But I know what you mean, Joe.

I've been trying to figure out why she has had such bad luck in her film career. And then I realized, it wasn't the films, it was our expectations of her. She was a star with a capital S on TV, but on film she just doesn't jump out at us in whatever way she did on TV. (I never watched Friends.) Oh, she's still a star, but I think that has more to do with her off screen life, than anything else.

I can't imagine any other actor who would still be demanding leads after some of the films she's done. But she is awfully likeable, and I hope this film gives her some serious credibility.
lulu
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I posted a report on Memory of a Killer, a 2005 film on the nineties forum.

Oh, well, too bad I can't read.

As for Da Vinci Code, it was just plain awful and Hanks sleptwalked his way through it. I would not have seen this muddle of a film had the religious nuts not made such a stink that I felt it was my duty to see it. (Wonder if they had seen the film!)

No chemistry between the stars. Bettany as Silas was a joke. No albino him; just looked like an actor with his hair, eyebrows and lashes dyed. (Albinos have no pigments and therefor no color.) He was as scary as my nephew's late dog, Honey. Well, a bit of an exaggeration.

And that ending was a mess, too. Who said Howard can direct and/or Hanks can act? Horrible mess. but the book was a real fun read and I loved it. Can't wait to see how they butcher Angels and Demons. NOT!