Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  90s Films

chillywilly
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:49 am Reply with quote
shannon wrote:
I've never seen Bob Roberts. I've always wanted to, but it's never around. Netflix is apparently down to $5.99/month. Seems a good enough reason to rejoin.

I've not seen it yet, either. I'm surprised I've not, given the cast members (Tim Robbins, James Spader, Alan Rickman)

I saw that Netflix was down to $5.99, so I decided to check it out. You have one DVD out at one time and can only get 2 DVD rentals per month for that.

The $9.99 option gives you one DVD out, but unlimited rentals per month. And with a lot of new distribution centers all over the place now, the turnaround can be as quick as 3 days to get a new movie.

ehle64
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:56 am Reply with quote
A very young Jack Black is in Bob Roberts, too.

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:45 pm Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
bart wrote:
Just caught up with this new forum --

Mo, why is Dog Day Afternoon on your best of 90s list?? Just wondering.

I'm a Dahl fan, too -- he is the master of tumbleweed noir. I think "Joy Ride" was 2000 or 01, or I'd put it on the list, too.

Bart - DDA is NOT on my 90's list. I don't even have a list. All I did was say I liked John Dahl, ROUGH MAGIC, SHOWGIRLS, CLUELESS, BOUND, Gina Gershon, and Jeff Fahey and the two swamp girls.

you're a dear to mention Rough Magic - I have that on video and I do love it. Bridget Fonda and Russell Crowe have great chemistry and some clever lines of dialogue together. It's this whimsical romantic oddity of a film
Trish
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:
My list:

Tommy Boy

Seriously?? I mean I love Chris Farley but

otherwise I liked your choices

Last edited by Trish on Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
chillywilly
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Trish wrote:
you're a dear to mention Rough Magic - I have that on video and I do love it. Bridget Fonda and Russell Crowe have great chemistry and some clever lines of dialogue together. It's this whimsical romantic oddity of a film

Wow. I'd never heard of this film... and Bridget and Russell together and it works? I'll watch it just out of pure curiosity.

I've never been much of a Russell Crowe fan, but Bridget Fonda has done some nice roles in the past (City Hall comes to mind as one of my favorites of hers) and I like her.

Trish
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I just remembered another great 90s flick that people should see

The Crossing Guard!! directed by Sean Penn (Pam you must have seen it), wonderfully acted by Jack Nicholson and David Morse and an array of great supporting performances(including blast from the past Tv's Three's company Priscilla Barnes who has a fabulous scene with Jack)
chillywilly
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Trish wrote:
chillywilly wrote:
My list:

Tommy Boy

Seriously?? I mean I love Chris Farley but

otherwise I liked your choices

You know, that movie just had a different touch to it. For some reason, it's one that stuck to me. I much preferred Farley in SNL sketches, but that combo of Spade and Farley worked for me.

Brian Denehy and Bo Derek, along with a snide Rob Lowe, added some humor to the mix.

Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:15 pm Reply with quote
The Crossing Guard has the best ending to a film, hands down, ever. I mean, EVER.

My second to 10 of the 90s
Boogie Nights
The Crossing Guard
Hamlet (Bertolucci)
Bob Roberts
JFK
Bullets Over Broadway
Seven
LA Confidential
Malcolm X
True Romance

Ed Wood, In the Name of the Father, Much Ado About Nothing, The Thin Red Line, Saving Private Ryan, Donnie Brasco, In the Company of Men would probably round out the next strata in some order.

Saving. Private. Ryan.

Don't push me, folks.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Tommy Boy may not be a "great" film, but man, is it funny.

"I was just checkin' the specs on the... with the rotary... I'm retarded."

"It has a hard candy shell."
"Your brain has a hard candy shell."
"You're the one with the... shell..."
"I'm sorry, are you still talking?"
"Shut up, Richard."

and my all-time favorite:

"Uggghhh... I can actually hear you getting fatter."

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
chillywilly
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I forgot about JFK and Much Ado About Nothing... great, great films.

chillywilly
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm with you, Tim.

And thanks for the quotes... brought back some laughs.

Marj
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote
ITA. And I've never seen Bob Roberts either. I also like Tim's ideas for discussion. Looks like this is going to be a good forum!!

Tim -- You and I may be the only two people on this board who like Se7en.

And was Nixon done in the '90s? BRB. It was. 1995. And for me, at any rate a better film than JFK. But it has been years since seeing the latter.
ehle64
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:06 pm Reply with quote
What is this Hamlet by Bertolucci you speak of?

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure I mean the Zefferelli version of '91 with Mel Gibson, Glenn Close, Ian Holm & Helena Bonham Carter.

I have severe issues with the cut of the script, but Gibson gives the best onscreen Hamlet performance I've ever seen.

Zefferelli, Bertolucci...

I couldn't tell Mary Louise-Parker from Mary Stuart Masterson, either.

Okay, I could.

lulu
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I paid to watch this on tv. An interesting film about a hit man who refused a job because his target is a 12 year old abused by her father and made to become a whore. So they go after the hitman and one by one he takes revenge on his assassins. He has a problem, though. He's in the early stage of Alzheimer's and has to write everything down on his arm to keep track of what he's doing. The wierd thing is, at least for me, I felt sorry for this murderer who, while a killer, is killing those that the authorities have not been able to put away. (I call this manipulation of the viewer but I guess it's saying even hit men have their limits.)

Reminded me of Momento with his writing things down on his arm.