Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

chillywilly
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:47 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
My point is that if you're a celebrity you are subject to the rumor mill. Couric's credentials are impeccable. Can't understand why people dislike her with such intensity.

I used to like her. I really did. Her personality and life outside the TODAY show, I think she's a wonderful person. And that part hasn't changed. I still like her as a person.

It's her news reporting and years of stupid, dumb questions that got asked to various people she's interviewed. For as smart as a woman and how well she carries herself, I got tired of seeing her fall over herself on camera too many times. Matt, on the other hand, has always seemed to pick up where Katie left off.

I'm hoping that CBS news will bring out the real Katie... the one that I used to like.

lulu
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Does it matter who does the news shows? For one thing, they are not reporters but newsreaders (as they are called in Britain). Does anyone believe they actually write the stuff they read?

For another thing, in a half hour news show, you get at the most 20 minutes of noncommercials and what's left is devoted to weather, sports, sports, entertainment and some news thrown in for good measure.

CNN is just as bad: rehashing the same news and too many talking heads. Now they have half hours devoted to entertainment instead of adding more depth to the news coverage.

And we wonder why we get George Bush and his cronies elected.

Who care about Katie and her way over the top salary? I shan't be watching. If I want entertainment, I can go read a book, watch television, listen to an opera or watch grass grow.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so Katie Couric is to be blamed for the election of George W. Bush. Now I've heard everything.
mo_flixx
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:02 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Agree with Billy on Couric. It's not easy to project a likable, sunny, smart, funny personality from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. If she's not really what she seems, she deserves an Emmy a week. I'm going to miss her. (Loved Harvey Fierstein on her farewell show, though.)

Kathy Lee Griffith did it for years. Tammy Faye only needed to project those eyelashes.

Wink
carrobin
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I never really watched Kathy Lee, but I saw Tammy Faye a few times while she was still helping Jim Bakker ask for money, and she always seemed pretty artificial to me (eyelashes aside). Even in the more recent interviews I've seen, post-Bakker and closer to something real, she hasn't shaken that puppet look.
mo_flixx
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I remember the pre-scandal days in the '80's when PTL and Tammy had a HUGE GAY following. My boss and his friends were wild about them. Tammy always used to say that she loved shopping at Mervyn's. Right.

Imagine my boss's delight when he saw Jim and Tammy shopping in Beverly Hills one day. He couldn't resist following them around. Tammy went to Saks and Giorgio's and dropped a fortune.

I asked my boss if he thought Jim was gay, and he replied, "With that cute little ass, are you kidding?"

Very Happy
mo_flixx
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:32 pm Reply with quote
HEY MARC - HIPPIE MAN,

Do you have any insights for us about what it's like to watch that much 24 all at once? I'm asking because I'm considering doing it...but concerned if it might affect my health, make me a 24 junkie, or some such...

Believe now with the re-runs, I need a little excitement in my life.
McBain
Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:21 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Oh, so Katie Couric is to be blamed for the election of George W. Bush. Now I've heard everything.

No, but she does some really fucking horrible bullshit crap reporting on a regular basis. She is a terrible journalist by any estimation.

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:23 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
finished four seasons of 24. Watched 96 episodes in about 7 weeks. what a show! now I gotta go thru withdrawel.

I remember being made fun of by some old rock and roller for a similar television bender.

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:24 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
I TiVo'd the final Couric "Today" show and am in the middle of watching it. Don't know what people have against Couric. She's extremely smart, game, attractive, and warm, and has provided America with some first-rate television. (Yes, yes, I know the rumors are that she's a backstage diva. And that Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward are gay. Get over it, people.)

She is smart. She is attractive (boy is she ever). And yet, she did some extremely shoddy reporting for many many years.

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:30 am Reply with quote
There are no bright anchors left on network TV, except perhaps Blitzer and Lehrer. I do not think Kurik will make much of a difference either.
McBain
Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:34 am Reply with quote
Blitzer is just as idiotic as the rest of them.

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:48 am Reply with quote
Blitzer keeps his focus narrow and does not try to be a devil's advocate. He asks Condi if she was giving too much to Iran by offering to join the talks, but does not ask her whether the precondition makes her offer a non-starter. His selection of people to interview is very narrow, in fact the same people again and again. It would be nice to hear the views of Ralph Nader, Noam Chomsky etc once in a while.
McBain
Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:49 am Reply with quote
Why would he interview people who clearly hate America?

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:39 am Reply with quote
Ghulam wrote:
Blitzer keeps his focus narrow and does not try to be a devil's advocate. He asks Condi if she was giving too much to Iran by offering to join the talks, but does not ask her whether the precondition makes her offer a non-starter. His selection of people to interview is very narrow, in fact the same people again and again. It would be nice to hear the views of Ralph Nader, Noam Chomsky etc once in a while.

Radio Pacifica's Amy Goodman of DEMOCRACY NOW interviews Chomsky all the time. Check out www.democracynow.org.