Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

lady wakasa
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Gracious - that's me, gracious.

It may have been panned, but according to the Guardian, The Da Vinci Code had the second biggest worldwide opening ever.

Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Jesus wept.

I'm kidding!

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
lady wakasa
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote
No, he probably did.

marantzo
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Christ is too precious.
marantzo
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I saw Cache the other day. Review pending.
Earl
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
lady wakasa wrote:
I used to rock climb - it was great fun. But the people I used to climb with went away.

Umm, sorry, but I can't resist asking: What does "went away" mean in this instance?

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:11 pm Reply with quote
"The Da Vinci Code" is a thriller, not as good as "Raiders of the Lost Arc", but still very good in parts, and utterly laughable in other parts. It is a bit too long. There is an excellent performance by Ian McKellen. The fantastic central thesis is just that - fantastic. If you don't get too serious about it, you may be able to enjoy this well made movie.
chillywilly
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Ghulam wrote:
"The Da Vinci Code" is a thriller, not as good as "Raiders of the Lost Arc", but still very good in parts, and utterly laughable in other parts. It is a bit too long. There is an excellent performance by Ian McKellen. The fantastic central thesis is just that - fantastic. If you don't get too serious about it, you may be able to enjoy this well made movie.

That's pretty much my take on the movie, Ghulam. Ian was very good in this film and I very much enjoyed his performance.

Did you read the book?

Ghulam
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Chilly, I have the book for the past 10 months, but I have not even opened it. Looks good on my shelf though.
lshap
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
I refuse to be tugged into the theater to satisfy an addiction to hype. Fuck that. The DaVinci Code was a fun read, no question, but the film isn't the book, and I'm not pretending that there's any relation between a pop-phenomenon in literature and a good time at the movies. Had too many high expectations crash and burn in the past.

But I WILL see this film based on a recommendation by Ghulam or Chilly. Eventually. Right after I see some other really good films I've missed.

United 93 was terrific, by the way.
lady wakasa
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Earl wrote:
lady wakasa wrote:
I used to rock climb - it was great fun. But the people I used to climb with went away.

Umm, sorry, but I can't resist asking: What does "went away" mean in this instance?

LOL! No, they're still with us - just not near me. The main person divorced (and no, again not me) and went back to Wisconsin.

lady wakasa
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Sorry - have too many windows open, and thought this was da Lobby.

Syd
Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Over the Hedge is primarily a kid's movie, although I laughed quite a few times. Vern the Turtle's first encounter with suburbia is very funny, as is the arrival of the "Verminator" (in a van that has a mannekin of him bopping a rabbit with a mallet) and his subsequent description of his extermination devices. There was one joke which I didn't get until I was halfway across the street after the movie. (The kids got it right away.)

The story: RJ the Raccoon is scavenging for food and decides to pillage Vincent the Bear's junkfood hoard before Vincent wakes up from hibernation. RJ, unfortunately gets greedy, wakes the bear up, and loses the hoard. Thus he has a week to replace the horde before Vincent wakes up again and eats him.

Meanwhile, a bunch of hibernating animals which form sort of an interspecies extended family wake up, to discover most of their forest is gone and replaced by cookie-cutter houses. The nearest house, unfortunately, is owned by Gladys Sharp, president of the home-owners association, who is determined everything should be neat, uniform, and most of all, ordered, and the chaos brought by wild animals is not welcome.

Vern's family seems to be spending much of the spring, summer and fall hoarding food for the winter. RJ convinces all of them except Vern that they can hoard all they need in a week if they take advantage of human wastefulness. Vern senses there is something fishy with RJ's plan, but he is powerless to stop it. But then RJ's opportunism and Glady's Sharp's iron will meet head to head.

This is a cute film, more on the order of Ice Age than The Incredibles or Toy Story. It reminded me a bit of A Bug's Life, which is a much better movie. Hammy the Squirrel reminded me of Sid the hyperactive sloth from Ice Age, but there is a funny joke involving him at the climax which is the one I didn't get at the time. The final fates of Gladys, Vincent and the Verminator are funny. I'd say, if you know a kid who needs to be entertained, this is a pretty good movie to take them to. You may like it too,

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:39 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
They had a preview of How to Eat Fried Worms before the movie, to which my reaction was "Sweet Mother of God," which I guess is the intended reaction. It may be a big hit among 10 - 14 year olds, but I am obviously not the intended audience for this film. And, yes, it is a movie about two kids who have a bet who can eat ten worms without throwing up. And this is the second time this has been adapted to film. The first time was animated, and this time is live action.

I'm tempted by Monster House, which looks like it might be amusing. The animation style reminds me of Polar Express, except this time it's a bit less lifelike and a lot more successful. (The animation style of Polar Express made its characters look like zombies.)

I'm not sure what to make of Flushed Away, which looks a lot like a Nick Park film but apparently isn't. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a really good movie.

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Re: Cache

I'm curious to read your take on it. I thought it was brilliant and scary as hell. Auteuil is one of my favorite French actors: comedy, drama, whatever. He is an actor, as opposed to a movie star. Binoch is great, whether in English films or French. She was the only good thing about the English Patient.

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT

And now with our government spying on us, it's an even scarier movie,although it's not actually about government spying but how our past can come back and bite us. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, meaning some things are questionable. Still, a thought-provoking film.