Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

lady wakasa
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:49 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
It was pretty pathetic - people were up in arms about it, but as usual they hadn't actually seen it.

But it might've also been where I was at (Boston area).

lady wakasa
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:52 am Reply with quote
Bart - speaking as someone who hasn't gotten to see the movie yet, this probably should have a spoiler alert on it...

I'm not picking you out specially, it's more that it's not clear what the post about until the movie's spoiled.

bart wrote:
I suppose Lee could argue, regarding some of these apparent laxities of law enforcement, that these serve to make the point that the police are letting the whole thing slide since no money was stolen and no one harmed beyond taking a few punches.

ehle64
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:54 am Reply with quote
I can remember these Nuns from Queens yelling at me when I went to see it at the Ziegfeld. You'd think that we were all in line to have an abortion, the rage these "peaceful" women were capable of spewing out.

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:57 am Reply with quote
lady wakasa wrote:
Bart - speaking as someone who hasn't gotten to see the movie yet, this probably should have a spoiler alert on it...

I'm not picking you out specially, it's more that it's not clear what the post about until the movie's spoiled.

bart wrote:
I suppose Lee could argue, regarding some of these apparent laxities of law enforcement, that these serve to make the point that the police are letting the whole thing slide since no money was stolen and no one harmed beyond taking a few punches.

Those aren't the only things being spoiled in the past posts. I wasn't going to say anything, but am glad you did.

People, please be a bit more careful with your SPOILER ALERTS (especially when you're discussing a thriller/mystery film).

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if I screwed up with the Spoiler thing. I had forgotten all about spoiler alerts. I don't think that I really gave anything away though.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Nuns from Queens sounds like a good name for a rock band.

Am I wrong to think there were bomb threats? For some reason, that comes to mind.

Here in Houston, the prostests were non-confrontational, but the prostestors were large in numbers. When we went to see the movie, this older man was among those standing out front in protest, and whenever someone passed him, he'd say "Christ is too precious." A friend with us replied, "We know Christ's precious, that's why we want to see this movie." But the man wouldn't respond, and if I remember correctly he wouldn't even look directly at us, just kind stared off into the distance in front of him (somewhere behind our heads), and continued to repeat "Christ is too precious."

-Topher
bart
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
ACK. My bad. I'm usually putting spoiler alerts on, and we started out pretty vague...so then when we started getting specific I just forgot about the spoiler thing. Thanks for reminding me.

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:22 pm Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
I can remember these Nuns from Queens yelling at me when I went to see it at the Ziegfeld. You'd think that we were all in line to have an abortion, the rage these "peaceful" women were capable of spewing out.

It's the nuns ya gotta watch out for.

jeremy
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Deleted.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Guys:

I'm curious about protests at performance events.

Our play opens this weekend, and apparently, and sadly, we've had about a dozen calls/emails/letters from theatre subscribers who are "disappointed that a theatre of this caliber would stoop to doing a play that deals with such topics. The topics make them uncomfortable, and we are NOT impressed with awards from New York City."

Just a reminder, the play I'm in, Take Me Out, won the Tony Award for best original play, was nominated for a Pulitzer, and deals with homosexuality and there's two brief scenes of nudity (I'm in both of them.) There's no sex in the play.

The play is primarily a love poem to baseball, and how baseball ennobles our democracy and our culture, but I guess the fact that there's a couple of gay characters in it and the fact that ballplayers don't remain fully clothed when showering in the locker room is too much for some people to take.

Bummer.

www.watertowertheatre.org

You can check out the site if you want, and if you go to the blog there's some news on my rock climbing and getting naked skills.

In closing, what I find so frustrating about most demonstrations is there doesn't seem to be a place for real dialogue at all, despite the fact that the "opposing" sides are often standing barely a few feet from each other for hours at a time.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
lady wakasa
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Just saw this:

Quote:
"New York Asian Film Festival"

We have most of our likely Korean line-up in place with the chance of another one or two before we wrap it up. <snip> The festival runs from June 16th to July 1.

A BITTERSWEET LIFE
BLOOD RAIN
DUELIST
FEATHER IN THE WIND (aka GIT)
MAGICIANS
WELCOME TO DONGMAKOL

The listing isn't complete, because some of the potential films are trying to get sold at Cannes. And they need to sell tickets because they have no sponsorship this year. But it sounds like it could be fun.

http://www.subwaycinema.com/

(Now if someone on that board could answer my question about Chihwaseon being out of stock...)

lady wakasa
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Brownstone wrote:
In closing, what I find so frustrating about most demonstrations is there doesn't seem to be a place for real dialogue at all, despite the fact that the "opposing" sides are often standing barely a few feet from each other for hours at a time.

Can you guys sponsor something - like an after-performance session discussing the issues and why they set some people off? Maybe that would be a start.

I used to rock climb - it was great fun. But the people I used to climb with went away.

(Sorry if this needs to be moved to da Lobby or something.)

Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Lady:

I would always be up for that, but considering that the people I would want to talk to have already declared they aren't coming and have exchanged their tix for Into the Woods, I think I'd be preaching to the converted.

It's a gracious idea, though.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
marantzo
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote
To paraphrase Dorothy, Tim, "I have a feeling you're not in New York anymore."
lulu
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, if it weren't for the fact that I deemed it my duty to go see it because of protests from the right-wing, looney tunes religious fanatics, I would have stayed away.

The picture was, as I feared, impossibly boring and Hanks besides being too old and not at all the sexy professor Langdon was in the book turned in as wooden a performance as I've seen in years. (What was with his hairdo?) . Tatou was not far behind, also acting woodenly. Again, Howard proves what a mediocre director he is and should be put out to pasture.

The screenplay made a mess of the book with so much being thrown at you that if you hadn't read the book you would wonder what all the fuss was about. Less said about the ending the better.

If you want a fun read (like on a coast-to-coast flight or a beach read, this is the book. If you want to sleep because you're suffering from insomnia, this is the picture. I can't think of anything more sleep inducing than Pelleas et Melisande!