Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

mo_flixx
Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
If anyone is looking for the perfect movie to take their [OLD GEEZER] mother to for Mother's Day, "Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont" starring Joan Plowright has to be it.

Mrs. Palfrey is a widow with a snooty daughter and a dull as dishwater grandson. For the most part, her small family ignores her.
She has moved into a residential London hotel, The Claremont, to wile away her days with other senior relics who live there. However with her wonderful memories of a happy marriage and enjoyment of Wordsworth, she's far too lively for this crowd.
Mrs. Palfrey happens to meet a kind, charming young man who fancies himself a 'writer,' but is basically unemployed. They become friends and thru a series of mishaps, the young man ends up substituting as Mrs. Palfrey's grandson. Needless to say, the other guests at the Claremont are quite impressed when handsome Ludovic appears as Mrs. Palfrey's guest at dinner one evening.
The story meanders on as Ludovic and Mrs. Palfrey find they have a number of common interests and Mrs. Palfrey, through her wisdom and life experience, helps Ludovic find true love when he tries to rent a video of "Brief Encounter," (Mrs. Palfrey's favorite film).
This is one of those "Ladies in Lavender" type of movies that the English make so well. It's very good for what it is - just a nice, civilized film - perfect for dear [OLD GEEZER] mum.

Last edited by mo_flixx on Tue May 02, 2006 1:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Melody
Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
No offense, Mo, but if my daughter takes me to the movies on Mother's Day, I hope it's to see Friends with Money.

I really want to see The Notorious Bettie Page, but I don't think she's ready for that yet.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Melody wrote:
No offense, Mo, but if my daughter takes me to the movies on Mother's Day, I hope it's to see Friends with Money.

I really want to see The Notorious Bettie Page, but I don't think she's ready for that yet.

Of course, it's not for ALL mums. I didn't want to put that in my post - I thought it was belaboring the obvious, frankly. The movie is perfect for those old fashioned mums or grandmums.

My own mother was born in 1920. She would have LOVED this movie. Sadly, she passed away from cancer in 1994. And truthfully, I have missed her every day since.
Sad
Her sister (my aunt - age 79) would probably be up for any film, actually.

[Having seen FRIENDS WITH MONEY, I myself would vote solidly for BETTIE PAGE.]

Last edited by mo_flixx on Tue May 02, 2006 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
mo_flixx
Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote
My Sunday was spent in an orgy of current films.

BASIC INSTINCT 2
THE INSIDE MAN
MRS. PALFREY
SOPHIE SCHOLL

Exhausting, but fun, fun, fun!

[I regretted missing a documentary about American hairdressers who volunteered to go to Afghanistan...but just couldn't squeeze it in.]
billyweeds
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:34 am Reply with quote
Friends with Money is the best movie yet from Nicole Holefcener, and that's saying something, since her others are Walking and Talking and Lovely and Amazing. The current beauty includes wonderful, wonderful performances by Frances McDormand, Simon McBurney, and Jennifer McAniston. Joan Cusack is somewhat wasted in the straight role, but she's perfect, too, as is (duh) Catherine Keener. Surprisingly excellent in one of the funniest roles is James Caan's son Scott, who was also a lot of fun in the trashfest Into the Blue.

Friends with Money is a honey. It's also moving and thought-provoking and very funny. (Yes, I know that rhymes, but I didn't plan it that way.)
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:42 am Reply with quote
SCOTT CAAN.

Sometime I will have to write about Scott Caan's guest appearance at the very first TAOS TALKING PICTURE FESTIVAL!

And yes, he is just great in FRIENDS WITH MONEY!
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:42 am Reply with quote
Scott Caan and Casey Affleck's bickering is maybe my favorite part of Ocean's Eleven. The fight over the balloons was very funny:

"...You just spit on me!"

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
marantzo
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:21 am Reply with quote
Of course I was joking, Earl.
lulu
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:09 pm Reply with quote
It's coming to a theater near me this weekend. I LOVED the book but am disgusted with Hanks playing Langdon. For one thing, he's too old and another no sex appeal. I could see Russell Crowe playing Langdon or even Brad Pitt. But Hanks??? Even with an unknown, the movie would still be a hit. But the book was so great, that no picture could live up to it and besides everyone who has read the book knows the ending (which is almost the entire world). Most will go out of curiosity.
Nancy
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Melody wrote:

I'd have taken my mother (if she was still alive) to see Bettie Page. She'd have gotten a kick out of it.

Isaacism, 2009
marantzo
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

She's probably a contemporary of Bettie Page. I think she's been ready since the 40/50's.
Trish
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:00 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Friends with Money is the best movie yet from Nicole Holefcener, and that's saying something, since her others are Walking and Talking and Lovely and Amazing. The current beauty includes wonderful, wonderful performances by Frances McDormand, Simon McBurney, and Jennifer McAniston. Joan Cusack is somewhat wasted in the straight role, but she's perfect, too, as is (duh) Catherine Keener. Surprisingly excellent in one of the funniest roles is James Caan's son Scott, who was also a lot of fun in the trashfest Into the Blue.

Friends with Money is a honey. It's also moving and thought-provoking and very funny. (Yes, I know that rhymes, but I didn't plan it that way.)

I saw it yesterday and I did enjoy it very much (especially McDormand and the actor who plays her hubby) EXCEPT the total cop out ending (regarding what happens for Aniston's character) that just about ruined it for me
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:11 am Reply with quote
I don't think I can watch movies with my mother, or either parent, ever again, really. Their tastes just baffle me.

I understand their repulsion to sex and violence, so I knew Reservoir Dogs or Sin City would be a non-starter. But to this day I'm baffled about the family doubleheader of Dead Man Walking and Last of the Dogmen.

They seemed completely ambivalent and even disinterested in DMW, but my father, who's one of the toughest men I know whom I've seen almost cry once my entire life (and that was over the news of the suicide of his former partner on the force), was brought nearly to tears by this Tom Berenger B-movie.

And whenever I come home for the holidays, they always insist on watching either My Dog Skip or Man From Snowy River. What the fuck, man?

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
ehle64
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:18 am Reply with quote
Trish wrote:
I saw it yesterday and I did enjoy it very much (especially McDormand and the actor who plays her hubby) EXCEPT the total cop out ending (regarding what happens for Aniston's character) that just about ruined it for me

-- Friends with Money SPOILERS --

Do you actually think that he was the solution to all of her problems? I liked the open-endedness of it and am not quite sure (no matter how rich the guy is) that they will end up being compatible. Not that I don't hope so, I would like to think that she'll end up being a great step-mother and friend/lover to mr. lonely. I think "total cop out ending" doesn't do it justice.

Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Friends with Money SPOILERS

he should have been poor (or rather just an average guy who happened to be presently unemployed) - then we wouldn't have to witness her eyes light up when he tells her he's rich - . I thought they had enough going for them with their shared self-esteem issues - she seemed to have found a soulmate. And then they wouldn't have had to awkwardly deal with the whole "why did he bargain her maid rate down" issue. The whole - I inherited money from my father info was unnecessary